• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#241 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

BTW, yesterday was ERB's 136th birthday. A medium rare steak sounds good about now...

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#242 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

Just so REH fans don't forget the debt owed to the Man from Tarzana, here's the listing from the REH Bookshelf:

Burroughs, Edgar Rice

(1875-1950).

"The Last Man": "It was, I reflected, just such a scene as had been described by Edgar Rice Burroughs, a highly imaginative writer of fiction, who flourished in the early part of the twentieth century."

At the Earth's Core

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1922. 30798; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Beasts of Tarzan

Illustrated by J. Allen St. John. New York: A.L. Burt Co., 1916. 30802; PQ1; GL; TDB list. Still in HPU holdings.

[Note in PQ1: "Stamped in blue ink on the verso of the front free endpaper is the name 'ROBERT E. HOWARD,' which indicates that the book originally belonged to him. On the back pastedown endpaper is the penciled signature, 'Henry Potts.'"]

The Gods of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1918. 30773; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Mucker

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1921. 30312 (as "The Musker"); PQ2; GL; TDB.

A Princess of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1917. 30706; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Return of Tarzan

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1915. 30795; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Son of Tarzan

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1917. 30786; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1918. 30785; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan of the Apes

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1914. 30792; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan, the Terrible

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1921. 30780; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1920. 30713; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Warlord of Mars
Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1919. 30737; PQ2; GL; TDB.

My guess is the actual number of Burroughs volumes read by Howard would be at least double.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#243 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

REH would have caught a fair amount of Burroughs in the pages of ALL-STORY and ARGOSY ALL-STORY weekly in the 1920s. These titles all date from before he began reading pulp magazines. Howard also would have read Murray Leinster, Victor Rousseau, George Allan England etc.

Morgan

Just so REH fans don't forget the debt owed to the Man from Tarzana, here's the listing from the REH Bookshelf:

Burroughs, Edgar Rice

(1875-1950).

"The Last Man": "It was, I reflected, just such a scene as had been described by Edgar Rice Burroughs, a highly imaginative writer of fiction, who flourished in the early part of the twentieth century."

At the Earth's Core

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1922. 30798; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Beasts of Tarzan

Illustrated by J. Allen St. John. New York: A.L. Burt Co., 1916. 30802; PQ1; GL; TDB list. Still in HPU holdings.

[Note in PQ1: "Stamped in blue ink on the verso of the front free endpaper is the name 'ROBERT E. HOWARD,' which indicates that the book originally belonged to him. On the back pastedown endpaper is the penciled signature, 'Henry Potts.'"]

The Gods of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1918. 30773; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Mucker

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1921. 30312 (as "The Musker"); PQ2; GL; TDB.

A Princess of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1917. 30706; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Return of Tarzan

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1915. 30795; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Son of Tarzan

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1917. 30786; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1918. 30785; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan of the Apes

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1914. 30792; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Tarzan, the Terrible

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1921. 30780; PQ2; GL; TDB.

Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1920. 30713; PQ2; GL; TDB.

The Warlord of Mars
Chicago: A.C. McClurg & Co., 1919. 30737; PQ2; GL; TDB.

My guess is the actual number of Burroughs volumes read by Howard would be at least double.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#244 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 04:31 AM

For those who write and are interested in contributing to some Barsoom pastiche, Pulp Empire is taking submissions for their next themed anthology: Heroes of Mars

Heroes of Mars focuses on stories inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom.

Stories for this anthology will focus on stories based around the planet as recounted in the Martian Cycle of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Stories should have a strong narrative drive with adventure elements.

John Carter and the cast as featured in A Princess of Mars can be used, but tales should fit in to the continuity of the novels. Stories can range anywhere in the Martian world, even to locations never explored in the original novels. Periods in the future or past of Barsoom are also acceptable.

I'm working up an idea right now.

#245 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

For those who write and are interested in contributing to some Barsoom pastiche, Pulp Empire is taking submissions for their next themed anthology: Heroes of Mars

Heroes of Mars focuses on stories inspired by Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom.

Stories for this anthology will focus on stories based around the planet as recounted in the Martian Cycle of Edgar Rice Burroughs. Stories should have a strong narrative drive with adventure elements.

John Carter and the cast as featured in A Princess of Mars can be used, but tales should fit in to the continuity of the novels. Stories can range anywhere in the Martian world, even to locations never explored in the original novels. Periods in the future or past of Barsoom are also acceptable.

I'm working up an idea right now.

Probably a better venue would be THIS thread :) :

http://www.conan.com...h=1

#246 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Thanks, Deuce!

#247 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:04 AM

REH would have caught a fair amount of Burroughs in the pages of ALL-STORY and ARGOSY ALL-STORY weekly in the 1920s. These titles all date from before he began reading pulp magazines.

EXACTLY my argument that Howard read far more ERB than is indicated by Rusty's "REH Bookshelf" entry. :)

#248 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:02 AM

Probably a better venue would be THIS thread :) :

http://www.conan.com...h=1

Not sure why. But it's not my call. :rolleyes:

#249 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

The good news, there's a new Tarzan comic coming out from Dynamite (though they can't call it Tarzan because of copyright).

The bad news: it's written by Arvid Nelson.

http://www.newsarama...ite-110921.html

What did we do to deserve this? <_<
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#250 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:30 AM

The good news, there's a new Tarzan comic coming out from Dynamite (though they can't call it Tarzan because of copyright).

The bad news: it's written by Arvid Nelson.

http://www.newsarama...ite-110921.html

What did we do to deserve this? <_<

I have to say I'm enjoying his Warlord of Mars series. Unlike The Shadow Kingdom adaptation, it's kept fairly close to the book. After the first issue, embellishments have been kept to a minimum. And it's worlds better than the version Marvel came out with this week, that one's just about unreadable. So if he sticks to the WOM model, it should be OK. It could be he can do Burroughs but not Howard, we'll see.

#251 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

Check this out!!
I'm happy!!

http://Tarzan of the... & Other Tales

Posted Image

take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#252 bthom

bthom

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/7ey8ejy
Hardcover: 800 pages
Publisher: Gollancz; Centenary ed edition (21 Jun 2012)
ISBN-10: 0575129166
ISBN-13: 978-0575129160

Unfortunately, not much more is known about the book yet.

Bill Thom
Coming Attractions
http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/
Pulp Series Character Reprint Index
http://www.pulpcomin...ndex/index.html
The Works of Robert E. Howard
http://howardworks.com/

#253 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

@bthom,
that's what makes it so exciting!
There's lots of ERB that I figure must be in the public domain by now and 800 pages could be a whole lot of ERB!
I've already got both REH and HPL volumes in this series and they are wonderful!

take care.

Doug

Edited by Doug, 20 November 2011 - 07:20 PM.

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#254 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Very cool. I'll definitely be ordering this.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#255 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:28 AM

A lovely companion to my other Gollancz leatherbounds. B)

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#256 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

On the 19th, ERB will have been gone for 62yrs. With John Carter in theaters, now is a great time (IMO) to get the word out. Contact local libraries and arrange an "ERB Day". Or, just donate some books. Hell, just give some extras to a buddy or cool kid you know. I gave all my Ballantine "Barsoom" editions to a friend's son about 8yrs ago. He went to see John Carter today and loved it.

The revival of interest in the works of ERB in the early '60s lead directly to the "Howard Boom" of the late '60s/early '70s. I see no reason why promoting ERB won't help REH in the long run.

#257 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

It would be hard to have an ERB at in my library system: we have almost nothing by him, and we got rid of our John Carter books a while back. (By we, I mean they. I don't have a say in weeding collections. I would have kept them. We have much older books still in the system).
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

#258 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:30 AM

A local bookstore had the first three Mars books in trade paperback on Friday, two copies each. This afternoon I checked again, they were all sold out. :D

#259 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:30 PM

ive been reading a bit of ERB lately (product of getting his stuff free on my kindle). Ive read his stuff on and off for 20 years, some great some, meh. lets see if i can remember what ive read.

The monster men : i think this might have been my first ERB. still the best. Aside from a minor quible with the ending i read it again a month ago and it still holds up. would make a great film.

Ive read a few of the Mars books but not the first ones staring John carter. Dont remember much about them. I do remember liking "synthetic men of mars"

Ive read the 3 land that time forgot books. When i was young i think i liked them. revisiting them recently left me with a feeling they were a bit boring.

"Jungle girl" was a fun romp back to old cambodia. dont remember much about it.

recently read the "outlaw of torn". While i was looking forward to ERBs medieval world, this story felt way to cheesey and improbable.

interestingly, ive never tried any tarzan. not that im opposed to it, just have never managed.

I guess my question to those who've read a bit of ERB is: what is your favourite ERB and why?

#260 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

On the 19th, ERB will have been gone for 62yrs. With John Carter in theaters, now is a great time (IMO) to get the word out. Contact local libraries and arrange an "ERB Day". Or, just donate some books. Hell, just give some extras to a buddy or cool kid you know. I gave all my Ballantine "Barsoom" editions to a friend's son about 8yrs ago. He went to see John Carter today and loved it.

The revival of interest in the works of ERB in the early '60s lead directly to the "Howard Boom" of the late '60s/early '70s. I see no reason why promoting ERB won't help REH in the long run.

There are over 20 APOM versions in swedish in the library system. The english version im reading are from 1936 and is a tiny cover less hardcover. I will tell the library to buy in english new paperbacks. Remind hey its the guy that wrote Tarzon for godsake.

In Swedish language he is huge, he has like 500 books in the system.