53 replies to this topic

#41 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Good idea. IMO "Wings of the Night" has the most powerful climax and haunting resonance of all the Kane stories.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#42 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

Why arent there new story of the month threads ?

I mean for us newer members it would be fun to talk about a REH story,people focusing on it. Like a book club thing.

#43 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:02 AM

I mean for us newer members it would be fun to talk about a REH story,people focusing on it. Like a book club thing.

My guess is that since there aren't too many Kane stories, there might already be a thread for each one. I just searched back a few pages, found this one, and figured I'd resurrect it. No reason we can't perform a little necromancy on these old topics to bring back some discussion, right? ;)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#44 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

My guess is that since there aren't too many Kane stories, there might already be a thread for each one. I just searched back a few pages, found this one, and figured I'd resurrect it. No reason we can't perform a little necromancy on these old topics to bring back some discussion, right? ;)

Damn straight, Aggro. B) Necromancy is no crime on this here forum. ;)

In regards to why there are no NEW "SotM" threads, that would be my fault (since I'm sort of "in charge" of that department). I decided to tackle a yarn that would've entailed LOADS of research just to do the intro (let alone the annotations). That slowed things up. Then, real-world stuff and getting the blogging gig at the Cimmerian ground things to a halt.

Since there seem to be a few of y'all who would like to see the "Robert E. Howard Story of the Month" return, I'll see what I can whip up after I get back from St Louis this weekend.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#45 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'll see what I can whip up after I get back from St Louis this weekend.

St. Louis? Any chance we could get together? If you want to, send me a pm. :)
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#46 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

My bad guys i didnt mean a Kane story but any REH story. Doesnt matter if its Conan,Kane,Kull,Bran Mak Morn,westerns,El Borak,horror etc

deuce looking forward to your return then :) I mean many REH stories are brand new,fresh to me would be interesting to see what old time readers think.

#47 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

PFunkJazz had this to say over on the WitN thread:

Though, WitN depicts Kane with an air of racial superiority, it justifies his role as savior of the Bogonda. Howard's prose is noticeably toned down from MoS which is replete with racial putdowns and a evil Black antagonist

The Negari were described from the get-go as being abhorrrent to other Central African tribes. The "Caucasoid" Atlanteans that enslaved the Negari's ancestors are depicted as depraved as well (much like CRS' Mizungu, actually).

(not really a gripe, but I find it especially curious that Nakari happens to hold a young white girl captive for whom SK has absolutely no romantic interest. It provides some very provocative torture scenes Posted Image, but it's one of Howard's more contrived plots, IMHO).

Marilyn passed through the hands of European and North African captors before that. An Englishman originally sold Marilyn into bondage.

Solomon Kane never needed a "romantic interest" to set himself on a quest for justice. As it was, SK knew Marilyn as a child and was a friend of her family.

Edited by deuce, 12 October 2010 - 07:43 PM.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#48 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

After knowing Negaris, Stygians, Khemuris and Bal-Sagoteans had the same ethnic and cultural roots, I wonder... did they speak similar languages?

#49 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

After knowing Negaris, Stygians, Khemuris and Bal-Sagoteans had the same ethnic and cultural roots, I wonder... did they speak similar languages?

Hey Fernando! :D

Well, (IMO), they all spoke languages which were part of the "Khemite" language family. The thing to keep in mind is that there was at least fifty thousand years' worth of separation between all of them (once again, IMO). Languages seem to be more static/resistant to change in REH's universe than in the "real world", but one would expect differences at least as profound as that between proto-Germanic and Modern English.

#50 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hey Fernando! :D

Well, (IMO), they all spoke languages which were part of the "Khemite" language family. The thing to keep in mind is that there was at least fifty thousand years' worth of separation between all of them (once again, IMO). Languages seem to be more static/resistant to change in REH's universe than in the "real world", but one would expect differences at least as profound as that between proto-Germanic and Modern English.

Thanks, Deuce! :)

Assuming Conan was in Negari - as suggested in BtBR -, and being the Cimmerian a guy who could easily learn other languages, would he have some difficulty to learn the Negari idiom? ;)

#51 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

I didnt have any problems with Negari tribe being evil black villains. I mean the Wolf was also evil,savage in Red Shadows.

Kane thought like any white man in 1500-1600s thought the world belong to them and they met primitive African tribes. I found it interesting that brown Atlantis priest prisoner thought all humans black and white were savages. I thought this story was very flawed pace wise. REH for the first time in Kane stories lost me in the middle story with all those running around in corridors and the Negari culture was not as interesting as his other lost civlisations.

#52 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Sir John Taveral: was the scapegrace nephew of Lord Hildred Taveral. Lord Taveral had no children and felt great affection for his cousin, Marilyn Taveral. Sir John feared that Taveral would leave his great estates to Marilyn. He kidnapped the young girl and then sold her to the Barbary pirate, El Gar. Sir John then put it about that he had seen Marilyn drown. Later, he slandered SK and was challenged to a duel. Dying, pierced by the Puritan's rapier, Sir John confessed to selling Marilyn into slavery. Solomon Kane set out to rescue her. (p.122-123) REH liked the name "Taferal" (or variants like "Taverel") and used it for characters in several yarns.

Howard scholar, Keith Taylor, turns his eye towards the Taveral family (and its offshoots) here:

http://rehtwogunraconteur.com/?p=22188

B)

#53 Keith J Taylor

Keith J Taylor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Thanks, Deuce. Yes, it did seem to me that the Taveral family and their relationship to the Kanes might repay some examination. The friendship between them seemed most likely to have begun in Hildred Taveral's youth, with he and SK's grandfather both having been born in 1502 and fought together in the wars. As for the wicked kidnapper John Taveral, I have a feeling it wasn't Kane he slandered, but another noble, trying to frame him for treason to gain favour with certain highly-placed villains and thus advance himself. Wasn't uncommon. (See my posts, "Solomon Kane and Tudor Paranoia".)

I believe Kane intervened to see justice done and duelled Sir John's hired bravo in a judicial combat. It wasn't fashionable or usual by Kane's day ... hardly ever done, in fact ... but it was still a legal recourse. Kane won and called Sir John a rogue, liar, and slander merchant. After that John had no option but to fight Kane. He expected to win, for he was a better blade than his hired duellist, good though that scoundrel was; he had simply thought it beneath him to fight a man whose family had humble origins. Now he had to.

How the fight turned out is a matter of record in "Moon of Skulls."

IMO, Howard really compressed the time scale in "Moon of Skulls". I never could credit that Kane found the city, discovered its secrets, got Marylin out and destroyed it, all within a week or two. It seems more probable that he spent a few months at the hellish court of Negari, walking a tightrope with its sadistic queen, learning the ins and outs of the place, finding the Atlantean priest (and Marylin)then laying plans to escape. I reckon the presence of that ancient sorcerer's skull was what made the inhabitants mad, too. I suspect its destruction by Kane not only overturned what sanity they had, but caused the earthquake that devastated the city. The events happening together is surely too much for coincidence.

#54 Keith J Taylor

Keith J Taylor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I think "Moon of Skulls" is very good, but I also think REH rushed it a bit and it could have been better with more thought and maybe more length -- about the wordage of "People of the Black Circle" or "Red Nails".  I suspect Kane actually spent a few months in Negari, and that Marylin was slated for sacrifice on a rather rarer occasion than the full moon ... some great ceremony of Negari's lunar calendar, maybe.  I'm hoping to post a five-part Solomon Kane timeline on Two Gun Raconteur soon that (maybe) will shed some light on how Kane found the city.  It's my theory that he followed two long convoluted trails at the same time, that of Le Loup and that of the kidnapped Marylin, and that after finishing Le Loup at last, he returned to his ship and had it take him towards the place Marylin had last been known.  And that N'Longa aided him to locate her, though he drew the line at going near Negari. 

The fetish-man hadn't given Kane the juju staff at that time.  He probably thought Kane was doomed.  After Kane rescued the girl and destroyed the city, N'Longa realised the strange white man had a very powerful spirit within him, perhaps one of N'Longa's VUDUN, and who's to say he was mistaken?  Our culture's witch-doctors call it paranoid obsession; N'Longa thought a mighty vudun inhabited his blood-brother.  He could send his spirit out of his body to inhabit another, or even animate a corpse.  He knew a little something about the subject.