• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#1 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

I looked through thirteen pages of Frazetta-related threads and couldn't find a single "general purpose" thread covering this artistic giant. Just about every thread had to do specifically with Conan. As we all know, Fritz painted a lot of other things besides the Lancer covers. The reason I was looking was that I was trying to find an appropriate venue to let y'all know about a new FF hardcover coming out. Not ONE of the threads I looked at fit the topic. Anyway, I just read in Bud Plant's catalog that Arnie and Cathy Fenner (editors of SPECTRUM magazine, based out of the Flint Hills of KS) are putting out another Frazetta art book. This one's called Frank Frazetta: Rough Work. It's filled with Frank's b&w sketches, layouts and concept art. The cover is a close-up of FF's Dark Kingdom painting. It looks like the Fenners have put together another great collection of Frazetta art!

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2 Illoman

Illoman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

I looked through thirteen pages of Frazetta-related threads and couldn't find a single "general purpose" thread covering this artistic giant. The reason I was looking was that I was trying to find an appropriate venue to let y'all know about a new FF hardcover coming out. Not ONE of the threads I looked at fit the topic. Anyway, I just read in Bud Plant's catalog that Arnie and Cathy Fenner (editors of SPECTRUM magazine, based out of the Flint Hills of KS) are putting out another Frazetta art book. This one's called Frank Frazetta: Rough Work. It's filled with Frank's b&w sketches, layouts and concept art. The cover is a close-up of FF's Dark Kingdom painting. It looks like the Fenners have put together another great collection of Frazetta art!

Yes, I have this on pre-order through Amazon. I have several books on Frazetta, and have been a fan of his for more than thirty years! Yet, i still come across one of his works I've never seen before. I'm looking forward to this collection as well.

Mike

#3 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Any release date on this yet?

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

Any release date on this yet?

Hey Maelstrom! Sorry about not getting back with you on this. Rough Work came out on Sept. 28th, available on Amazon. Already unavailable (according to Amazon) is The Comic Art of Frank Frazetta (also from Spectrum/the Fenners). :(

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 xardoz

xardoz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

There's a great documentary on him, "Frazetta - Painting with Fire".
I've caught it a couple of times on cable. Really good stuff.

#6 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

The Fenner's "Frazetta: Rough Work" is already available. I had two copies sent to me; one from Bud Plant and another from Amazon. One is already in the hands of my good friend (along with Conan the Phenomenon). I delivered it almost two weeks ago when I had to drive up to his area on family business.
Anyway, the book is best for people either very curious about his artistic process or for long time followers who have seen work like this over the years scattered among articles and sampled at in his larger collections of work. It's a great book. It's been a long time coming. Almost twenty years ago when I told Frank a book like this would be great in lieu of his desire to avoid teaching he scrutinized me and said, "Who in the hell would want a book with just my scribblings?" I told him he'd be surprised but he just shook his head (probably thought I was nuts for even suggesting it) and reiterated his question.
I'm glad someone finally convinced him this was a good idea.
Having a horrible history of recommending things to people, even great things that in the long run acquire mainstream success or at least major cult status, I've come to realize I'm a lousy salesman in the idea dept. Sadly, that extends even into my most personal life.

So, in honor of that track record DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!!!

*wink*

Rick

#7 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:53 AM

Hey y'all! It's not too late to corner/cajole one of your loved ones into buying you Frazetta stuff for Christmas. Rough Work, Frank's bio-DVD, Painting With Fire or the Fire and Ice/"PWF" combo: any of these or many other FF items would be much better than a bag of new socks, right? :) Good luck!

#8 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

I just got back, more or less, from a trip to the book shop to pick up a copy of Robert E. Howard's The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian for my brother -- the one who introduced me to Robert E. Howard -- who is coming to visit from Texas. I figured he might get a kick out of reading Conan stories minus the L. Sprague De Camp edits, as well as rereading stories he last read 30 plus years ago. I hope he will.

Anyway, as I was looking for this book *Bam!* my eye caught sight of the name Frazetta and my attention was captured by Rough Work. First thing, it was in my hot li'l hands. I then picked up the book for my brother, but my mind was on Frazetta. How could it not be?

I have been a fan of Frazetta since I saw my first Frazetta book cover. I have collected ever book I could find featuring his work and have bought every art collection book of his I could find. As a fledging artist, I was inspired by his creations -- and I fell into the trap of fearing my works -- I mainly sketched -- just didn't stand up to his. Silly, I know, but it did set me on improving my craft until...

Anyway, when I got home I immediately thumbed through this book. It is incredible! Quite an eye opener in terms of Frazetta's way of conceiving his masterpieces. I intend to read the minumal text later. But to see what this book has to offer in new Frazetta art, be it rough work or not, is wonderful. And well worth it.
Crom!

#9 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

As a fledging artist, I was inspired by his creations -- and I fell into the trap of fearing my works -- I mainly sketched -- just didn't stand up to his. Silly, I know, but it did set me on improving my craft

I've found out over the years , we're not alone in that intimidation & inspiration ! I'd like to be able to bottle the high Frazetta must get knowing how many people's lives were truly influenced to different degrees by his work ! I still get almost angry when I recall old interviews where Fritz said he would have greatly preferred to have been a pro baseball player rather than an artist !! That's like considering if DaVinci really wanted to be a plumber but settled for artist/genius just to pay the bills !! :lol: I was on the fence whether or not I might get 'Rough Works' or not , you're description made up my mind what I'm gonna get with my Barnes & Nobles gift-cards !! - Danka .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#10 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hey y'all! It's FRANK'S BIRTHDAY!!! He's eighty years young today (February 9th). I almost forgot. :huh: I would've thrown a party if'n I'd remembered sooner. :rolleyes: So, break out the vino, throw in Painting With Fire, and holler a loud "salud" to the greatest fantasy artist EVER. :D

#11 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

A toast of the mead horn to one of the two most influential artists of his time, Mr. Frank Frazetta (he shares the honor with Charles Schulz, IMO.)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#12 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

A toast of the mead horn to one of the two most influential artists of his time, Mr. Frank Frazetta (he shares the honor with Charles Schulz, IMO.)

I always miss his birthday. I know he was born in February in 1928 but always relate 28 to the actual birthdate, as in 28 Feb.

Hope I get this right for his 81st.

Happy Birthday FRANK!

Rick

#13 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:55 AM

FYI

Terry

Frazetta: The Definitive Reference

* The most comprehensive index of the artist's work ever published!
* Commentary by top Frazetta experts and collectors.
* Dozens of rare images, including Conan, Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, more!
* Fantastic reference for artists, great entertainment for fans.

The work of Frank Frazetta--THE greatest heroic-fantasy artist of all
time--has influenced generations of artists, fans, designers, and movie
directors. Now more than 800 of his unforgettable images have been collected
in Frazetta, a tribute to this great visionary.

With essays by experts and collectors, this one-of-a-kind volume traces the
entire arc of Frazettas career. From his early 1950s comics; to his
breathtaking book covers featuring Tarzan, Pellucidar, King Kong, and John
Carter of Mars; to his 1960s monster mags, including Creepy, Eerie, and
Vampirella; to his major movie posters, including After the Fox, The Night
They Raided Minsky's and Whats New *****cat?; and, of course, his
revolutionary Conan paintings--its all here.

Endorsed by the artist, Frazetta - The Definitive Reference overflows with
fantastic images, an index of every published Frazetta work and insightful
commentary on this fantasy-art icon.

Compiled by James A. Bond (no relation to the international spy) is a
lifetime collector of Frank Frazettas zwork. He lives in Toledo, Ohio.

Edited by J. David Spurlock, an artist and historian, has written and edited
many books on fantasy art and pop culture. He lives in Clinton, NJ.

Andrew Steven is a specialty-clothing designer and renowned art collector
who lives in New York City.

Dr. David Winiewicz, a noted scholar and collector of the works of Frank
Frazetta, and close personal friend of the artist. He lives in Las Vegas.

DELUXE Limited Edition Slipcased Hardcover
978-1934331-10-1
200 pages
More than 400 color illustrations
More than 400 black-and-white illustrations
$59.95 (+ $6.95 U.S. S/H)

Hardcover Edition
978-1-934331-09-5
200 pages
$39.95/$49.95 CN (+ $6.95 U.S. S/H)

Softcover Edition
ISBN-13: 978-1934331-08-8
200 pages
$29.95 (+ $6.95 U.S. S/H)

Hardcover ships July 2008. Deluxe and Softcover editions ship August, 2008

http://www.vanguardp...etta/index.html

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#14 fritz fan 007

fritz fan 007

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

Mind if I pop in?
I just wanted to thank you for posting the information to my upcoming book, Frazetta: The Definitive Reference. That was kind of you to do that and I truly appreciate it. If you have any questions concerning details of the book, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

James

#15 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:42 AM

Mind if I pop in?
I just wanted to thank you for posting the information to my upcoming book, Frazetta: The Definitive Reference. That was kind of you to do that and I truly appreciate it. If you have any questions concerning details of the book, post them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

James

Thanks for poppin' in, Mr. Bond. ;) By all means, keep us posted. :D

#16 Jason A.

Jason A.

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:46 PM

This past Wednesday the latest of the (hopefully) many to come comics inspired by Frank Frazetta's paintings hit the shelves.

This one was called Dark Kingdom based on the painting of the same name. It's the one with the viking warrior going into the cave with axe in hand ready to face what must be a monsterous enemy.

After enjoying the Death Dealer mini series which based each issue loosely on a Frazetta painting (doubled as the cover) I had to give this a shot. I really enjoyed it as a stand alone viking comic, but they are going to make a Dark Kingdom Part 2 it seems using another painting to continue the adventures of the Viking (named Red Morden). The painting they plan on using looks to be one of a warrior in a skiv (sp) on the ocean with a large dragon/serpent type creature popping out of the water in front of him.

Pulp Crazy - http://pulpcrazy.com

#17 Gary

Gary

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:08 AM

I bought those three Frazetta hardcover art books, Icon, Testament, and Legacy (not sure about that name.) Anyway I know that at first Icon was redone as an expanded paperback. Now I see Testament and Legacy are available as PBs. Does anyone know if they added new content like they did for Icon? Or are they pretty much straight reprints of the hardcovers?

#18 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:32 AM

I bought those three Frazetta hardcover art books, Icon, Testament, and Legacy (not sure about that name.) Anyway I know that at first Icon was redone as an expanded paperback. Now I see Testament and Legacy are available as PBs. Does anyone know if they added new content like they did for Icon? Or are they pretty much straight reprints of the hardcovers?

Other than the covers there are no changes to Legacy or Testament, at least nothing obvious and Arnie Fenner has stated there were no changes as well. He's the editor so I'll take his word for it. This was discussed on the Frazetta board.

Rick

#19 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,047 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

Just found out (via Coming Attractions) that the new book from Vanguard, The Paintings of J. Allen St. John (Volume 2) will contain an essay from Frazetta. :)

http://www.vanguardp...ohn2/index.html

#20 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Those of you who have this book and the other Frazetta books, what are your opinions on this volume. I know it does not have finished paintings, but give me some detailed impressions about this book.

Spectrum Presents: Frank Frazetta: Rough Work (Spectrum Presents) (Hardcover)
by Frank Frazetta (Author), Arnie Fenner (Editor), Cathy Fenner (Editor)
Hardcover: 128 pages
Publisher: Spectrum Fantastic Art; 1st Hardcover Ed edition (September 28, 2007)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1599290138
ISBN-13: 978-1599290133

http://www.amazon.co..._cmu_pg__header

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frazetta, Art Book