260 replies to this topic

#181 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:25 AM

Found this tribute painting on another forum. I believe it does an excellent job of summing up all the wishes of Frazetta's fans.
Posted Image
You might want to enlarge it to get an idea of who is coming through the door.

Edited by Kane, 14 May 2010 - 05:26 AM.

"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#182 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:06 PM

Great idea behind that illustration. I can take a good guess as to who the sillhoutte is.
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com

#183 provcomlib

provcomlib

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Unfortunately, this screening has been canceled. Fear not, similar events are planned for the future!

Posted Image

ddvorchak@provcomlib.org for more info!

Thanks!
Dave

Edited by provcomlib, 19 May 2010 - 04:49 AM.

#184 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Nice idea , I've passed the info. over to my Group.

Welcome !

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#185 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:02 PM

I generally find images like this to be unbearably cheesy, but frankly, this is my favourite of the Frazetta tributes so far. Particularly since it's Luana taking Frazetta's hand: Luana was the first Frazetta image I ever laid eyes on. B)

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#186 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Superb, brilliant, fantastic, favourite Artist !
Has inspired so many, and will inspire millions more... forever...

RIP Frank.
I can never thank or salute you, enough.

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#187 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

Hey, I'd like to see that bad boy. When's it coming to Raleighwood, NC?

Saw the IMax Vincent Van Gogh film last fall and it was very cool.

Yeah, I'm just going to have to buy Painting with Fire. Buy it. Own it. Watch it xxx times while hoisting a brew to Frank's shade.

Edited by jak, 14 May 2010 - 11:30 PM.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#188 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

Cool. I've seen the dvd (and intend to watch it and Fire and Ice again soon) and would love to see it on the big screen. What a treat.
Crom!

#189 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

My own small tribute to the memory of Frank Frazetta:

The Lurking Humour
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#190 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Al Harron looks at the intersections of Frazetta and REH here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=14380

Lots of similarities (and differences). B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#191 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:39 AM

With this sad news I have had a great desire to watch my copy of Fire and Ice/Painting with Fire: What should have been a breakout flick for such a great artist and his biography. A superb way, in my opinion, to honor Frank Frazetta, the man who captured my heart and helped release my creativity with his work...

And I couldn't find my dvd!

What a frantic search that began, as there was a chance it might've disappeared mysteriously, but thankfully I found it. So in the coming days I will be watching Fire and Ice, followed by Painting with Fire -- and might top it off with The Whole Wide World in honor of the other man who captured my heart and helped release my creativity with his work.

May my favorite artist and writer share interesting times together in the afterlife...
Crom!

#192 Kylel Ironclaw

Kylel Ironclaw

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 02:59 AM

The more I think about it, the sadder I get. It's a shame I never got to meet the man. I also have friends in East Stroudsburg, so I really don't have an excuse for never going to the museum.

#193 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

Jeffrey Shanks, who's seen Mr. Frazetta's work up close, has written a tribute to the Master here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=14742

B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#194 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Small Washington Post piece about the debt REH Fans owe Mr. Frazetta.

http://www.washingto...0051703706.html
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#195 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Small Washington Post piece about the debt REH Fans owe Mr. Frazetta.

http://www.washingto...0051703706.html

That's by Lee Breakiron. He's a long-time REH fan.

#196 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

The bottom line is Frank sr owns the paintings.So its up to him to sign a complaint or drop the charges.This is a weird situation.

Frank Sr. may have "owned" his paintings for the last 9 months of his life, but as soon as he set up that LLC (at the urgings of Frank Jr's siblings, from what I hear), he no longer had ANY real control over said paintings. I go over the details here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=8559

BTW, I've heard rumors that Fritz's painting, "Kane and the Golden Sea", has been missing since late 2009 (no, NOT related to Frank Jr's "heist").

#197 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

My own small tribute to the memory of Frank Frazetta:

The Lurking Humour

Very cool. Liked how you had Painbrush greet Frank.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#198 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

I read this and thought of Frazetta (and, in Platonic ascent, from Frazetta to visual artists generally):

from 'Vermächtnis'

Den Sinnen hast du dann zu trauen,
Kein Falsches lassen sie dich schauen,
Wenn dein Verstand dich wach erhält.
Mit frischem Blick bemerke freudig
Und wandle, sicher wie geschmeidig,
Durch Auen reichbegabter Welt.

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

from 'Legacy':
Next, you must trust your senses: they will show you nothing false if your intelligence keeps you awake. Keep your eyes fresh and open and joyful, and move with sure steps, yet flexibly, through the fields of a world so richly endowed.
-- Johann Wolfgang Goethe; trans. David Luke

Edited by guilalah, 21 May 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#199 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

I took a trip to a Fantasy plus art site I frequent and took a peek at a latest offering (repeated sets of art by various artists) and by the fifth piece I had to scroll down to their Frazetta offering. Why? 'Cause of how static each piece was in the latest offering. A barbarian in full garb standing there with sword in hand, a barbarian and wizard standing there with blue dragon standing in background, a silly looking woman with tattoos and piecings standing there with absurd gun and sword in hand, a scantily clad woman with absurdly sized sword standing there... Standing, standing, standing! Motionless. Just there.

Well, with Frazetta I found what thrills me in Fantasy art -- his art! Tarzan with woman in arm leaping out a window, Tarzan, perhaps, punching a hunter, A soldier cradling a comrade, machinegun blazing, Frankenstein's Monster strangling a man, the mob in full swing behind him, a woman cringling as she eyes a headless human body reaching out, bodiless heads on a shelf behind... Wow! All filled with movement! Frazetta was the master of bringing his paintings to life. Going through them truly set my heart to pounding.

And even in his static pieces -- The Barbarian from Conan the Adventurer for example -- there is a...tenseness to them, as if some movement is about to be unleashed.

Anyway, not saying the more static pieces were bad. Far from it. Some are rather good. But to see so many bunched in a row...

Thank you, Frank, for the thrills.
Crom!

#200 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:26 AM

I took a trip to a Fantasy plus art site I frequent and took a peek at a latest offering (repeated sets of art by various artists) and by the fifth piece I had to scroll down to their Frazetta offering. Why? 'Cause of how static each piece was in the latest offering. A barbarian in full garb standing there with sword in hand, a barbarian and wizard standing there with blue dragon standing in background, a silly looking woman with tattoos and piecings standing there with absurd gun and sword in hand, a scantily clad woman with absurdly sized sword standing there... Standing, standing, standing! Motionless. Just there.

Well, with Frazetta I found what thrills me in Fantasy art -- his art! Tarzan with woman in arm leaping out a window, Tarzan, perhaps, punching a hunter, A soldier cradling a comrade, machinegun blazing, Frankenstein's Monster strangling a man, the mob in full swing behind him, a woman cringling as she eyes a headless human body reaching out, bodiless heads on a shelf behind... Wow! All filled with movement! Frazetta was the master of bringing his paintings to life. Going through them truly set my heart to pounding.

Indeed! Well spoken - you put the finger on something I was having a hard time articulating. The kineticism of his paintings are what makes them standout - that, and that for the most part, they come entirely from his imagination. So many modern fantasy artists use photos and models - the Star Wars artists in particular - you can pretty much sift through production stills and find the exact pose that was used to compose their paintings. Not so with Frazetta. When you see one of his paintings, you are looking into the mind of the man himself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frazetta, Art Book