• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#201 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:03 AM

Jeffrey Shanks, who's seen Mr. Frazetta's work up close, has written a tribute to the Master here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=14742

B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#202 matsellah

matsellah

Viceroy of Kambuja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Small Washington Post piece about the debt REH Fans owe Mr. Frazetta.

http://www.washingto...0051703706.html
"Their present king is the most renowned warrior among the western nations. He is an outlander, an adventurer who seized the crown by force during a time of civil strife, strangling King Namedides with his own hands, upon the very throne. His name is Conan, and no man can stand before him in battle." ~ Orastes, 'The Hour Of The Dragon'

"Damned degenerates!" ~ Conan 'Xuthal Of The Dusk'

#203 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Small Washington Post piece about the debt REH Fans owe Mr. Frazetta.

http://www.washingto...0051703706.html

That's by Lee Breakiron. He's a long-time REH fan.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#204 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

The bottom line is Frank sr owns the paintings.So its up to him to sign a complaint or drop the charges.This is a weird situation.

Frank Sr. may have "owned" his paintings for the last 9 months of his life, but as soon as he set up that LLC (at the urgings of Frank Jr's siblings, from what I hear), he no longer had ANY real control over said paintings. I go over the details here:

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=8559

BTW, I've heard rumors that Fritz's painting, "Kane and the Golden Sea", has been missing since late 2009 (no, NOT related to Frank Jr's "heist").

#205 jak

jak

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

My own small tribute to the memory of Frank Frazetta:

The Lurking Humour

Very cool. Liked how you had Painbrush greet Frank.

John A. Karr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#206 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

I read this and thought of Frazetta (and, in Platonic ascent, from Frazetta to visual artists generally):

from 'Vermächtnis'

Den Sinnen hast du dann zu trauen,
Kein Falsches lassen sie dich schauen,
Wenn dein Verstand dich wach erhält.
Mit frischem Blick bemerke freudig
Und wandle, sicher wie geschmeidig,
Durch Auen reichbegabter Welt.

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

from 'Legacy':
Next, you must trust your senses: they will show you nothing false if your intelligence keeps you awake. Keep your eyes fresh and open and joyful, and move with sure steps, yet flexibly, through the fields of a world so richly endowed.
-- Johann Wolfgang Goethe; trans. David Luke

Edited by guilalah, 21 May 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#207 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

I took a trip to a Fantasy plus art site I frequent and took a peek at a latest offering (repeated sets of art by various artists) and by the fifth piece I had to scroll down to their Frazetta offering. Why? 'Cause of how static each piece was in the latest offering. A barbarian in full garb standing there with sword in hand, a barbarian and wizard standing there with blue dragon standing in background, a silly looking woman with tattoos and piecings standing there with absurd gun and sword in hand, a scantily clad woman with absurdly sized sword standing there... Standing, standing, standing! Motionless. Just there.

Well, with Frazetta I found what thrills me in Fantasy art -- his art! Tarzan with woman in arm leaping out a window, Tarzan, perhaps, punching a hunter, A soldier cradling a comrade, machinegun blazing, Frankenstein's Monster strangling a man, the mob in full swing behind him, a woman cringling as she eyes a headless human body reaching out, bodiless heads on a shelf behind... Wow! All filled with movement! Frazetta was the master of bringing his paintings to life. Going through them truly set my heart to pounding.

And even in his static pieces -- The Barbarian from Conan the Adventurer for example -- there is a...tenseness to them, as if some movement is about to be unleashed.

Anyway, not saying the more static pieces were bad. Far from it. Some are rather good. But to see so many bunched in a row...

Thank you, Frank, for the thrills.
Crom!

#208 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:26 AM

I took a trip to a Fantasy plus art site I frequent and took a peek at a latest offering (repeated sets of art by various artists) and by the fifth piece I had to scroll down to their Frazetta offering. Why? 'Cause of how static each piece was in the latest offering. A barbarian in full garb standing there with sword in hand, a barbarian and wizard standing there with blue dragon standing in background, a silly looking woman with tattoos and piecings standing there with absurd gun and sword in hand, a scantily clad woman with absurdly sized sword standing there... Standing, standing, standing! Motionless. Just there.

Well, with Frazetta I found what thrills me in Fantasy art -- his art! Tarzan with woman in arm leaping out a window, Tarzan, perhaps, punching a hunter, A soldier cradling a comrade, machinegun blazing, Frankenstein's Monster strangling a man, the mob in full swing behind him, a woman cringling as she eyes a headless human body reaching out, bodiless heads on a shelf behind... Wow! All filled with movement! Frazetta was the master of bringing his paintings to life. Going through them truly set my heart to pounding.

Indeed! Well spoken - you put the finger on something I was having a hard time articulating. The kineticism of his paintings are what makes them standout - that, and that for the most part, they come entirely from his imagination. So many modern fantasy artists use photos and models - the Star Wars artists in particular - you can pretty much sift through production stills and find the exact pose that was used to compose their paintings. Not so with Frazetta. When you see one of his paintings, you are looking into the mind of the man himself.

Author of The Merkabah Rider series - https://emerdelac.wo...merkabah-rider/

Amazon page - http://www.amazon.co...53346826&sr=8-1

#209 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yes, even in 'The Barbarian' -- a work in which the characters are not moving -- I always felt that Conan was like a coiled spring. You just look at that guy and immediately know he means business and you'd better not get too close.

Indeed! Well spoken - you put the finger on something I was having a hard time articulating. The kineticism of his paintings are what makes them standout - that, and that for the most part, they come entirely from his imagination. So many modern fantasy artists use photos and models - the Star Wars artists in particular - you can pretty much sift through production stills and find the exact pose that was used to compose their paintings. Not so with Frazetta. When you see one of his paintings, you are looking into the mind of the man himself.

#210 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,924 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

San Diego Comic-Con news:

Friday - July 23

12:30-1:30 Remembering Frank Frazetta and Al Williamson? The late legendary artists Frank Frazetta and Al Williamson will be remembered by their friends and colleagues during this memorial panel. A giant of comics and book illustration, Frank Frazetta was a major influence on countless comic artists. From his early work at Magazine Enterprises and EC Comics to his Warren Publications and Conan paperback covers, Frazetta?s art was monumental in scope, design, and execution. He passed away on May 10. Al Williamson was an artists? artist, with a clean, elegant style. He?s most famous for his work with EC Comics and in the syndicated comic strip world, with Secret Agent Corrigan and Star Wars. He passed away on June 12. Moderator Arnie Fenner (co-author/editor of the Frazetta books Icon, Legacy, and Testament, and director of Spectrum Fantastic Art) talks to writer/artist Mark Schultz (Xenozoic Tales, writer of Prince Valiant), artist/illustrator William Stout (Dinosaur Discoveries, Prehistoric Life Murals), and publisher J. David Spurlock, whose Vanguard Productions recently launched a number of Frazetta books, including a complete reprinting of Johnny Comet, the artist?s syndicated daily comic strip from the mid-1950s. Room 3
Categories: Art and Illustration | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Tributes
Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits!   <p> 

Like the Robert E. Howard Foundation FACEBOOK page - show your support!
https://www.facebook.../REH.Foundation

#211 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Serpent wrangler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,228 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

A fine Tribute...
-
Posted Image

#212 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but another Conan painting sold at SDCC for $1,500,000. It's "The Destroyer," the reworked version of the cover to Conan the Buccaneer.

http://movies.yahoo....nting-sold.html
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#213 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,924 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but another Conan painting sold at SDCC for $1,500,000. It's "The Destroyer," the reworked version of the cover to Conan the Buccaneer.

http://movies.yahoo....nting-sold.html

Good to have a mention here in Frank's topic.

There's a topic in the Illustrated Conan forum -

www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8291
Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits!   <p> 

Like the Robert E. Howard Foundation FACEBOOK page - show your support!
https://www.facebook.../REH.Foundation

#214 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

Please, is anyone know the name of the publisher and title of this book (and year of publishing)!
Thanks in advance for your answers!

Posted Image

All I know is this Frazetta sketch is dated 1983.

Edited by mikoza, 29 August 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#215 bleno

bleno

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

I believe that's from the Wandering Star edition of "The Ultimate Triumph", put out a few years ago. Lots of nice Frazetta illustrations in that one.

Brian

#216 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I believe that's from the Wandering Star edition of "The Ultimate Triumph", put out a few years ago. Lots of nice Frazetta illustrations in that one.

Brian

Thank you very much Brian! I forgot to mention that I am referring to one on the left page. Is that sketch maybe appears in "Frank Frazetta: Rough Work"?

#217 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

Is anyone interested in obtaining random issues of FRANK FRAZETTA ILLUSTRATED FANTASY? I'm offering these up before I go to EBay. Posted Image.

I'm not exactly sure which issues are available, nor condition, but the asking price is low. The intent is to offer to readers before collectors. I'll have more info, including cost, later this week (if there's any interest).

#218 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

The Midwood Illustrations 1963-1964:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More here: http://goldenagecomi...ustrations.html
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#219 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 14,358 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Damn! Fritz could depict women like nobody else. B)

#220 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Another side of the genius. :D
Visit my blog: Necronomania

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frazetta, Art Book