260 replies to this topic

#201 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:45 PM

I took a trip to a Fantasy plus art site I frequent and took a peek at a latest offering (repeated sets of art by various artists) and by the fifth piece I had to scroll down to their Frazetta offering. Why? 'Cause of how static each piece was in the latest offering. A barbarian in full garb standing there with sword in hand, a barbarian and wizard standing there with blue dragon standing in background, a silly looking woman with tattoos and piecings standing there with absurd gun and sword in hand, a scantily clad woman with absurdly sized sword standing there... Standing, standing, standing! Motionless. Just there.

Well, with Frazetta I found what thrills me in Fantasy art -- his art! Tarzan with woman in arm leaping out a window, Tarzan, perhaps, punching a hunter, A soldier cradling a comrade, machinegun blazing, Frankenstein's Monster strangling a man, the mob in full swing behind him, a woman cringling as she eyes a headless human body reaching out, bodiless heads on a shelf behind... Wow! All filled with movement! Frazetta was the master of bringing his paintings to life. Going through them truly set my heart to pounding.

Yes, even in 'The Barbarian' -- a work in which the characters are not moving -- I always felt that Conan was like a coiled spring. You just look at that guy and immediately know he means business and you'd better not get too close.

Indeed! Well spoken - you put the finger on something I was having a hard time articulating. The kineticism of his paintings are what makes them standout - that, and that for the most part, they come entirely from his imagination. So many modern fantasy artists use photos and models - the Star Wars artists in particular - you can pretty much sift through production stills and find the exact pose that was used to compose their paintings. Not so with Frazetta. When you see one of his paintings, you are looking into the mind of the man himself.

#202 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

San Diego Comic-Con news:

Friday - July 23

12:30-1:30 Remembering Frank Frazetta and Al Williamson? The late legendary artists Frank Frazetta and Al Williamson will be remembered by their friends and colleagues during this memorial panel. A giant of comics and book illustration, Frank Frazetta was a major influence on countless comic artists. From his early work at Magazine Enterprises and EC Comics to his Warren Publications and Conan paperback covers, Frazetta?s art was monumental in scope, design, and execution. He passed away on May 10. Al Williamson was an artists? artist, with a clean, elegant style. He?s most famous for his work with EC Comics and in the syndicated comic strip world, with Secret Agent Corrigan and Star Wars. He passed away on June 12. Moderator Arnie Fenner (co-author/editor of the Frazetta books Icon, Legacy, and Testament, and director of Spectrum Fantastic Art) talks to writer/artist Mark Schultz (Xenozoic Tales, writer of Prince Valiant), artist/illustrator William Stout (Dinosaur Discoveries, Prehistoric Life Murals), and publisher J. David Spurlock, whose Vanguard Productions recently launched a number of Frazetta books, including a complete reprinting of Johnny Comet, the artist?s syndicated daily comic strip from the mid-1950s. Room 3
Categories: Art and Illustration | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Tributes

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#203 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Ritual Dancer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

A fine Tribute...
-
Posted Image

#204 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but another Conan painting sold at SDCC for $1,500,000. It's "The Destroyer," the reworked version of the cover to Conan the Buccaneer.

http://movies.yahoo....nting-sold.html
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#205 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but another Conan painting sold at SDCC for $1,500,000. It's "The Destroyer," the reworked version of the cover to Conan the Buccaneer.

http://movies.yahoo....nting-sold.html

Good to have a mention here in Frank's topic.

There's a topic in the Illustrated Conan forum -

www.conan.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8291

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#206 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:03 AM

Is anyone interested in obtaining random issues of FRANK FRAZETTA ILLUSTRATED FANTASY? I'm offering these up before I go to EBay. Posted Image.

I'm not exactly sure which issues are available, nor condition, but the asking price is low. The intent is to offer to readers before collectors. I'll have more info, including cost, later this week (if there's any interest).

#207 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:49 PM

The Midwood Illustrations 1963-1964:

Posted Image

Posted Image

More here: http://goldenagecomi...ustrations.html
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#208 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

Damn! Fritz could depict women like nobody else. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#209 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Another side of the genius. :D
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#210 Kathulos_Lives

Kathulos_Lives

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:56 AM

NPR mentions both Frazetta and Howard in their end of the year tribute 'Remembering the Remarkable Lives Lost in 2010'. Here is the link:

http://www.npr.org/2...es-lost-in-2010

#211 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Mr. Frazetta would've been 84 yesterday. Plenty of tributes to the man here:

http://www.thecimmer...ta-fantasy-art/

Still hard to believe he's gone. :(

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#212 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,146 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Jovan commercial from back in the day:

#213 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

The Museum of American Illustration at the Society of Illustrators is proud to
announce a rare opportunity to view the original oil painting "Conan the
Destroyer" by legendary artist Frank Frazetta.

MORE AT :
http://newyork.nearsay.com/nyc/upper-east-side/arts-culture-rare-chance-view-fra\
nk-frazzettas-conan-destroyer

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#214 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:09 PM

Cool, I'm five blocks away! I'll have to swing by, either during lunch or on the way home on a Tuesday

#215 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have never seen one of his paintings in the flesh and this is one of my favourites. It and a few others are what attracted me to Howard's Works in the first place. I wish I could be there.

Edited by Dark Mark, 06 April 2012 - 11:57 AM.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#216 JohnitoZ

JohnitoZ

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

I wish it were closer. I'd be willing to travel to see it, but not across country. Still, I am glad that it's on display, at least for a little while, and not just hidden away in a private collection. Hopefully it might even go on tour someday.

#217 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet....haven't been there since my pratt days and this is a great excuse!
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#218 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

Like many people, my exposure to Conan and Frazetta occured simeaultaneously. I knew Conan from the 1982 film and cartoon, but when I was in high school a got a box of the Frazetta-painted ones edited by L. Sprague de Camp. Even then I always wondered why Frazetta drew Conan as perpetually naked, but great paintings nonetheless!
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#219 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I discovered Frazetta the same way. My friend loaned me one of his Lancer?ace editions with a Frazetta cover. I can recall staring at the cover and wondering how anyone could paint such a powerful scene.
Then I read the book and wondered why no one had told me about this character before.
If I recall correctly, I was 12 at the time and, needless to say, that image and those words had a major impact on my life.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#220 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

I discovered Frazetta the same way. My friend loaned me one of his Lancer?ace editions with a Frazetta cover. I can recall staring at the cover and wondering how anyone could paint such a powerful scene.
Then I read the book and wondered why no one had told me about this character before.
If I recall correctly, I was 12 at the time and, needless to say, that image and those words had a major impact on my life.

Someone gave me a complete set of those Lancer books, and I read them all over the period of about two weeks. Howard, Vance, Moorcock and Lieber ruined me on fantasy, haha. Everything else is so flat and moralizing.

Back onto the topic of Frazetta, his Conan was pretty good because he wasn't pretty or deformed and Frazetta (unlike Weird Tales artists) understood what 'massive, steel-trap muscles' looked like.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frazetta, Art Book