• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#1 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:19 AM

I looked through thirteen pages of Frazetta-related threads and couldn't find a single "general purpose" thread covering this artistic giant. Just about every thread had to do specifically with Conan. As we all know, Fritz painted a lot of other things besides the Lancer covers. The reason I was looking was that I was trying to find an appropriate venue to let y'all know about a new FF hardcover coming out. Not ONE of the threads I looked at fit the topic. Anyway, I just read in Bud Plant's catalog that Arnie and Cathy Fenner (editors of SPECTRUM magazine, based out of the Flint Hills of KS) are putting out another Frazetta art book. This one's called Frank Frazetta: Rough Work. It's filled with Frank's b&w sketches, layouts and concept art. The cover is a close-up of FF's Dark Kingdom painting. It looks like the Fenners have put together another great collection of Frazetta art!

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2 Illoman

Illoman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

I looked through thirteen pages of Frazetta-related threads and couldn't find a single "general purpose" thread covering this artistic giant. The reason I was looking was that I was trying to find an appropriate venue to let y'all know about a new FF hardcover coming out. Not ONE of the threads I looked at fit the topic. Anyway, I just read in Bud Plant's catalog that Arnie and Cathy Fenner (editors of SPECTRUM magazine, based out of the Flint Hills of KS) are putting out another Frazetta art book. This one's called Frank Frazetta: Rough Work. It's filled with Frank's b&w sketches, layouts and concept art. The cover is a close-up of FF's Dark Kingdom painting. It looks like the Fenners have put together another great collection of Frazetta art!

Yes, I have this on pre-order through Amazon. I have several books on Frazetta, and have been a fan of his for more than thirty years! Yet, i still come across one of his works I've never seen before. I'm looking forward to this collection as well.

Mike

#3 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

Any release date on this yet?

#4 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:58 AM

I remembering hearing somewhere that Frazetta never read the Conan books before painting the covers. If that is true, I can only believe he was guided by someone to pick the subjects of his paintings. Can anyone clarify that for me, please?

So many Howard & Frazetta fans , & not one totally correct answer !! For the record , Frazetta was a bit of a newbie to Howard at 'that time' & there were at least a couple of the cover paintings Fritz painted from descriptions of the stories he had not read yet by Roy Krenkel , a long-time collaborater & friend of Fritz ( & God please let's not resurrect those old wars where people argued about which Warren covers the two collaborated on !) - That subject was covered in no uncertain terms by Frazetta himself in one of his last books . Some Howard & Frazetta fan I am too tho , I can't remember exactly which covers , though I might hazard a guess it was Frost Giants Daughter , & possibly the 'original' cover of Conan strangling a guy on 'The Buccaneer'. & the iconic/generic 'Barbarian' cover of 'Conan the Adventurer' ( I have a file-copy jpeg of the original rough-sketch color-comp. Frazetta sent in for 'Barbarian' that was up for sale recently online, & it was just Conan walking & no resemblance to the finished 'Barbarian cover )

Okay , I dug them out , for all you 'hardcore Frazetta fans' , here's some rarities you have probably never seen before , they haven't been in any books collecting his work ever or been shown publicly as far as I know . You can thank me later & drink many toasts to my name if'n you never saw these before .
The rough color-comp sketch for 'Barbarian'...
Posted Image
-no naked wench wrapped around his knee yet & no pile of corpses - though it shows the early idea of the castle & skull in the background , I do like the finished 'Barbarian' painting a lot more than this first sketch tho , even though it still wasn't 'exactly' a scene from 'Shadow' or any other story .

the color-comp. sketch for the original 'Buccaneer' cover...
Posted Image
I've got a few more rarities/color-sketches of Conan covers by Frazetta I'll post up later , I remember something about new rules saying no more than 2 pictures per post , besides they're taking a long time to load up today for me for some reason...

Edited by PAINBRUSH, 06 December 2007 - 01:07 AM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#5 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

Here's Frazettas first color-comp. sketch for 'Conan of Aquilonia'.....
Posted Image
- then someone at Lancer pointed out to Frazetta ( who obviously hadn't read this one yet either..) - that Conan was supposed to be pushing his '60's in this book , so Fritz reworked the idea into this....
Posted Image
Yep that's right , a Hulk-Hogan looking grey-haired mustachioed old-fart of an uncomfortably undressed Conan - this painting was stolen & thankfully never used for 'Conan of Aquilonia' . Frazettas most 'un-Conan' painting ever , for the arguably most un-Conan pastiche ever.........

still digging around in old files for more Frazetta rarities.........

" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "

#6 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 9,010 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:27 AM

Great stuff PB!

Checkout this site - it's awesome:

The Unofficial Frank Frazetta Fantasy Art Gallery

B)
Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits!   <p> 

Like the Robert E. Howard Foundation FACEBOOK page - show your support!
https://www.facebook.../REH.Foundation

#7 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:23 AM

Any release date on this yet?

Hey Maelstrom! Sorry about not getting back with you on this. Rough Work came out on Sept. 28th, available on Amazon. Already unavailable (according to Amazon) is The Comic Art of Frank Frazetta (also from Spectrum/the Fenners). :(

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#8 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:30 AM

Here's Frazettas first color-comp. sketch for 'Conan of Aquilonia'.....
Posted Image
- then someone at Lancer pointed out to Frazetta ( who obviously hadn't read this one yet either..) - that Conan was supposed to be pushing his '60's in this book , so Fritz reworked the idea into this....
Posted Image
Yep that's right , a Hulk-Hogan looking grey-haired mustachioed old-fart of an uncomfortably undressed Conan - this painting was stolen & thankfully never used for 'Conan of Aquilonia' . Frazettas most 'un-Conan' painting ever , for the arguably most un-Conan pastiche ever.........

still digging around in old files for more Frazetta rarities.........

Actually this painting was used for the book cover of Conan of Aquilonia. Across the pond Sphere used the image for one printing. I know this because I have the book. It's also one of my favorites. It's as raw and violent as any of the others, in fact, somewhat more violent. Admit it, you don't like it because there's no scantily clad Zenobia in the foreground.

Rick

#9 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 9,382 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

Wow! It's Conan's grampa!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#10 xardoz

xardoz

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

There's a great documentary on him, "Frazetta - Painting with Fire".
I've caught it a couple of times on cable. Really good stuff.

#11 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

The Fenner's "Frazetta: Rough Work" is already available. I had two copies sent to me; one from Bud Plant and another from Amazon. One is already in the hands of my good friend (along with Conan the Phenomenon). I delivered it almost two weeks ago when I had to drive up to his area on family business.
Anyway, the book is best for people either very curious about his artistic process or for long time followers who have seen work like this over the years scattered among articles and sampled at in his larger collections of work. It's a great book. It's been a long time coming. Almost twenty years ago when I told Frank a book like this would be great in lieu of his desire to avoid teaching he scrutinized me and said, "Who in the hell would want a book with just my scribblings?" I told him he'd be surprised but he just shook his head (probably thought I was nuts for even suggesting it) and reiterated his question.
I'm glad someone finally convinced him this was a good idea.
Having a horrible history of recommending things to people, even great things that in the long run acquire mainstream success or at least major cult status, I've come to realize I'm a lousy salesman in the idea dept. Sadly, that extends even into my most personal life.

So, in honor of that track record DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!!!

*wink*

Rick

#12 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:11 PM

I remembering hearing somewhere that Frazetta never read the Conan books before painting the covers. If that is true, I can only believe he was guided by someone to pick the subjects of his paintings. Can anyone clarify that for me, please?

So many Howard & Frazetta fans , & not one totally correct answer !! For the record , Frazetta was a bit of a newbie to Howard at 'that time' & there were at least a couple of the cover paintings Fritz painted from descriptions of the stories he had not read yet by Roy Krenkel , a long-time collaborater & friend of Fritz ( & God please let's not resurrect those old wars where people argued about which Warren covers the two collaborated on !) - That subject was covered in no uncertain terms by Frazetta himself in one of his last books . Some Howard & Frazetta fan I am too tho , I can't remember exactly which covers , though I might hazard a guess it was Frost Giants Daughter , & possibly the 'original' cover of Conan strangling a guy on 'The Buccaneer'. & the iconic/generic 'Barbarian' cover of 'Conan the Adventurer' ( I have a file-copy jpeg of the original rough-sketch color-comp. Frazetta sent in for 'Barbarian' that was up for sale recently online, & it was just Conan walking & no resemblance to the finished 'Barbarian cover )

Okay , I dug them out , for all you 'hardcore Frazetta fans' , here's some rarities you have probably never seen before , they haven't been in any books collecting his work ever or been shown publicly as far as I know . You can thank me later & drink many toasts to my name if'n you never saw these before .
The rough color-comp sketch for 'Barbarian'...

-no naked wench wrapped around his knee yet & no pile of corpses - though it shows the early idea of the castle & skull in the background , I do like the finished 'Barbarian' painting a lot more than this first sketch tho , even though it still wasn't 'exactly' a scene from 'Shadow' or any other story .

the color-comp. sketch for the original 'Buccaneer' cover...

I've got a few more rarities/color-sketches of Conan covers by Frazetta I'll post up later , I remember something about new rules saying no more than 2 pictures per post , besides they're taking a long time to load up today for me for some reason...

The images not so rare anymore and are featured in the trade paperback and hardcover editions of ICON along with the the elder Conan meant for the cover of "Conan of Aquilonia". The "Buccaneer" rough shows up a second time in the Fenners' new book "Rough Work: Frank Frazetta". All three are more prominently featured in the softcover edition.
That new book has a lot of great stuff in it and somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of it is stuff I've not seen before in the 35+ years I've been following the man's work.

Rick

#13 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

[/quote]

The images not so rare anymore and are featured in the trade paperback and hardcover editions of ICON along with the the elder Conan meant for the cover of "Conan of Aquilonia". The "Buccaneer" rough shows up a second time in the Fenners' new book "Rough Work: Frank Frazetta".
That new book has a lot of great stuff in it and somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/3 of it is stuff I've not seen before in the 35+ years I've been following the man's work.

Rick
[/quote]

Oops!
Correction. I meant to write, "All three are more prominently featured in the softcover edition of ICON."

Rick

#14 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Admit it, you don't like it because there's no scantily clad Zenobia in the foreground.

I admit it . - nah actually I don't mind a lack of helpless damsels in distress in a battle-scene , it's just the wild mop of white hair , the marlboroman handlebar mustache & the g-string the old farts wearing that just seem wrong to me :blink: He just doesn't look like Conan , old or not I.m.Op.

The images not so rare anymore and are featured in the trade paperback and hardcover editions of ICON along with the the elder Conan meant for the cover of "Conan of Aquilonia". The "Buccaneer" rough shows up a second time in the Fenners' new book "Rough Work: Frank Frazetta". All three are more prominently featured in the softcover edition.

Darn ! I thought I had some exclusive Frazetta stuff !! I shoulda known that you or some other Frazetta/Conan fan would have seen & known more than me . I actually didn't know that Sphere used that painting either , tho I remember reading it went missing somewhere in productiion or before it got returned to Fritz . I actually have one of the softcover copies of Icon , tho I couldn't remember if any of those rough sketches were in it . Plus there's been a few different revisions of that book with something like a couple dozen new pic.s added from earlier versions , it's been a few months since I've flipped through it , don't remember which pic.s might/might not be in my version . Thanks for the heads-up on that new Fenner book , I haven't got that one yet but I have a couple giftcards for Borders/Barnes & Nobles I haven't used yet - gotta get there soon , I have to feed my head & feed my eyes !!! :lol:

#15 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:53 AM

Hey y'all! It's not too late to corner/cajole one of your loved ones into buying you Frazetta stuff for Christmas. Rough Work, Frank's bio-DVD, Painting With Fire or the Fire and Ice/"PWF" combo: any of these or many other FF items would be much better than a bag of new socks, right? :) Good luck!

#16 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

I just got back, more or less, from a trip to the book shop to pick up a copy of Robert E. Howard's The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian for my brother -- the one who introduced me to Robert E. Howard -- who is coming to visit from Texas. I figured he might get a kick out of reading Conan stories minus the L. Sprague De Camp edits, as well as rereading stories he last read 30 plus years ago. I hope he will.

Anyway, as I was looking for this book *Bam!* my eye caught sight of the name Frazetta and my attention was captured by Rough Work. First thing, it was in my hot li'l hands. I then picked up the book for my brother, but my mind was on Frazetta. How could it not be?

I have been a fan of Frazetta since I saw my first Frazetta book cover. I have collected ever book I could find featuring his work and have bought every art collection book of his I could find. As a fledging artist, I was inspired by his creations -- and I fell into the trap of fearing my works -- I mainly sketched -- just didn't stand up to his. Silly, I know, but it did set me on improving my craft until...

Anyway, when I got home I immediately thumbed through this book. It is incredible! Quite an eye opener in terms of Frazetta's way of conceiving his masterpieces. I intend to read the minumal text later. But to see what this book has to offer in new Frazetta art, be it rough work or not, is wonderful. And well worth it.
Crom!

#17 PainBrush

PainBrush

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

As a fledging artist, I was inspired by his creations -- and I fell into the trap of fearing my works -- I mainly sketched -- just didn't stand up to his. Silly, I know, but it did set me on improving my craft

I've found out over the years , we're not alone in that intimidation & inspiration ! I'd like to be able to bottle the high Frazetta must get knowing how many people's lives were truly influenced to different degrees by his work ! I still get almost angry when I recall old interviews where Fritz said he would have greatly preferred to have been a pro baseball player rather than an artist !! That's like considering if DaVinci really wanted to be a plumber but settled for artist/genius just to pay the bills !! :lol: I was on the fence whether or not I might get 'Rough Works' or not , you're description made up my mind what I'm gonna get with my Barnes & Nobles gift-cards !! - Danka .

#18 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hey y'all! It's FRANK'S BIRTHDAY!!! He's eighty years young today (February 9th). I almost forgot. :huh: I would've thrown a party if'n I'd remembered sooner. :rolleyes: So, break out the vino, throw in Painting With Fire, and holler a loud "salud" to the greatest fantasy artist EVER. :D

#19 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

A toast of the mead horn to one of the two most influential artists of his time, Mr. Frank Frazetta (he shares the honor with Charles Schulz, IMO.)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#20 nomadic

nomadic

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

A toast of the mead horn to one of the two most influential artists of his time, Mr. Frank Frazetta (he shares the honor with Charles Schulz, IMO.)

I always miss his birthday. I know he was born in February in 1928 but always relate 28 to the actual birthdate, as in 28 Feb.

Hope I get this right for his 81st.

Happy Birthday FRANK!

Rick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frazetta, Art Book