Photo

Poll: Favorite Robert E. Howard Kull Story

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Complete List of Robert E. Howard's Kull Stories (83 member(s) have cast votes)

What is Your Favorite Robert E. Howard Kull Story?

1. The Shadow Kingdom (36 votes [43.37%])

Percentage of vote: 43.37%

2. The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune (9 votes [10.84%])

Percentage of vote: 10.84%

3. The Cat and The Skull (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

4. The Screaming Skull of Silence (4 votes [4.82%])

Percentage of vote: 4.82%

5. The Striking of the Gong (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. The Altar and the Scorpion (2 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

7. The Curse of the Golden Skull (0 votes [0.00%])

8. By This Axe I Rule! (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

9. Swords of the Purple Kingdom (3 votes [3.61%])

Percentage of vote: 3.61%

10. The King and the Oak (0 votes [0.00%])

11. Kings of the Night (11 votes [13.25%])

Percentage of vote: 13.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

Please vote by clicking the appropriate button in the poll above.

Kull of high Atlantis. Kull, who will never be "of" Valusia no matter how long he rules the Land of Enchantment. Kull, cold-eyed but not hot-headed, a bull in an unimaginably ancient china shop. Kull, the thinking man's barbarian and the barbarian as thinking man, for whom surfaces of forbidden lakes and sorcerous mirrors are not barriers but invitations. Kull, who opens Pandora's boxes like birthday gifts. Kull, who returns the stare of Deep Time and dares the stair that leads up to perspectives high, chilly, and cosmic. The king who philosophizes with a broadsword and legislates with a battle -axe, the king who haunts us because he is himself so haunted. Kull, who is no mere way-station en route to Conan, but an unforgettable destination in his own right.

Steve Tompkins (2006) Introduction Kull -Exile of Atlantis, Del Rey

What an excellent introduction to the character of Kull and his many varied adventures. Taking a backseat to no one, Kull is as colorful and exciting as any hero. Even his name sounds awesome - Kull!

So we have created a poll to find out:

What is your favorite Robert E. Howard Kull story?

Please vote and post what it is about that story that makes it your number one REH Kull story.

If you haven't read Robert E. Howard's Kull stories, you can find all of them - unedited- in one trade paperback:

Kull - Exile of Atlantis

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:46 AM

"The Shadow Kingdom" gets my vote, with "By This Axe I Rule!" a close second. The weird horror of the snakemen captivated me when I first read it years ago.

Edited by Primeval, 13 July 2007 - 02:46 AM.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#3 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

"The Shadow Kingdom" gets my vote, with "By This Axe I Rule!" a close second. The weird horror of the snakemen captivated me when I first read it years ago.

Hey Primeval! The "weird horror" of The Shadow Kingdom is also what sold a certain Gentleman From Providence on a certain young author from the sticks of Texas. Well into the 30s, Lovecraft kept suggesting to REH that another Kull yarn would be greatly appreciated. Before all was said and done, HPL (and Clark Ashton Smith) would use Howard's eldritch serpent-men more in their stories than REH ever did in his own yarns.

Asking me for my favorite Kull yarn is like asking me about my favorite Conan story. It depends on the day and what mood I'm in when you ask me. I'm gonna do some more cogitatin' and then get back with everybody. Until then, I'd love to comment on everybody else's favorites. :)

So, what're y'all waiting for? Stand up and be counted.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:28 PM

Kings of the Night gets my vote. It just seems like an entire novel crammed into a short story, yet doesn't feel rushed or anything. It's also notable as being the only tale Howard wrote (that I'm aware of) starring three of his serial protagonists. I wonder if this was one of the first fictional crossovers that would plague comics for decades to come?

I really think Howard could've made a big story out of this, a sort of Dark Age Seven Samurai, where Bran has to get all the disparate tribes working together to fight off the mighty Roman march. We have the Danes, the Britons, the Gaels, the Picts all forming up to pull a Teutoberg on the Romans, with an Atlantean somehow summoned from the mists of time and space to lead them to victory. It sounds like a gripping yarn to me, just add a few more elements and plot twists and you got yourself another novel!

I'll post more when I think of it...

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#5 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:45 AM

Had to redo the Kull poll folks - due to some Invision software issues that were affecting only the Kull poll. We apologize for the inconvenience and ask all members who have already voted to do so again in the above poll.

Thank you. :)

#6 HermancMacArt

HermancMacArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:33 AM

This was a tough one but off hand I picked Skull Of Silence. I just got the new Kull book and haven't had a chance to read it yet. So I'm going from memory off the Baen book. I've always thought the Kull stories had more of a "dreamy quality"(if that makes sense) than a lot of the other tales.
I've worn hearing aids since I was three so I guess thats why this one in particular grabbed my attention the most.

#7 master2003

master2003

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

My vote is for Kings of the Night, is a wonderful story.

#8 Guest_yimsha_*

Guest_yimsha_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:31 AM

Kings of the Night for me too. Only read it a few years back. My only previous knowledge of it was the adaptation in SSOC., which rocked.

#9 hogtown73

hogtown73

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

Kings of the Night for me too. Only read it a few years back. My only previous knowledge of it was the adaptation in SSOC., which rocked.

Not in any way trying to hijack this thread,but does anyone know the actual issue(s) that kings of the night appeared in SSOC? Shadow Kingdom is my personal favorite.

#10 Guest_xssurdinynexes_*

Guest_xssurdinynexes_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 07:03 AM

Swords of the Purple Kingdom......it had one of Howard's most killer babes in it...whoa......and a great battle

#11 Old Garfield

Old Garfield

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

I chose "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune" because I think it's the story that highlights the difference between Kull and Howard's other famous barbarian-turned-monarch. Kull has a consuming curiosity and introspection that separates him from his fellow barbarians, yet is still too savage and primeval to truly be comfortable in the confines of civilization.
"How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?"
-REH

#12 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:34 AM

KULL!

:)

#13 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:22 AM

For me, its a no-brainer. It has to be "The Shadow Kingdom", the mother of all Sword and Sorcery stories.

Slay, Kull!" rasped the Pict's voice. "They be all serpent men!"

The rest was a scarlet maze. Kull saw the familiar faces dim like fading fog and in their places gaped horrid reptilian visages as the whole band rushed forward. His mind was dazed but his giant body faltered not.

The singing of his sword filled the room, and the onrushing flood broke in a red wave. But they surged forward again, seemingly willing to fling their lives away in order to drag down the king. Hideous jaws gaped at him; terrible eyes blazed into his unblinkingly; a frightful fetid scent pervaded the atmosphere?the serpent scent that Kull had known in southern jungles. Swords and daggers leaped at him and he was dimly aware that they wounded him. But Kull was in his element; never before had he faced such grim foes but it mattered little; they lived, their veins held blood that could be spilt and they died when his great sword cleft their skulls or drove through their bodies. Slash, thrust, thrust and swing.

It doesn't get any better than that.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#14 Evil Thoth-Amon

Evil Thoth-Amon

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:12 AM

The Shadow Kingdom, of course. First and best sword & sorcery tale ever!!
The natural state of mankind is slavery. The only question is who commands and who obeys...

#15 BloodNGore

BloodNGore

VEHEMENT VAGABOND

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

I think Kings of the night, but why isn't Delcardes Cat on the list?
I am no longer sane,
far too much horror burns away the brain.

#16 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

I think Kings of the night, but why isn't Delcardes Cat on the list?

Its listed by the original title, The Cat and the Skull.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#17 BloodNGore

BloodNGore

VEHEMENT VAGABOND

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

Oh yeah, my bad lol
I am no longer sane,
far too much horror burns away the brain.

#18 drush9999

drush9999

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

I think I voted for The Shadow Kingdom, can't remember now was a while ago :lol:
It's the standout for me, though I enjoyed all the Kull stories.

I really liked the untitled fragment that ended at the River Styx chasing those people over many lands, felt like this was meant to be Kull's final story. Though Kings in the Night implies he died on the throne so to speak.

Think I prefer By This Axe I Rule to The Phoenix on the Sword, seemed to suit Kull better than Conan.

Edited by drush9999, 27 August 2009 - 08:06 AM.

"But the law!" screamed Tu.
"I am the law!" roared Kull, swinging up his axe; it flashed downward and the stone tablet flew into a hundred pieces. The people clenched their hands in horror, waiting dumbly for the sky to fall.

#19 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:53 PM

I think I voted for The Shadow Kingdom, can't remember now was a while ago :lol:
It's the standout for me, though I enjoyed all the Kull stories.

I really liked the untitled fragment that ended at the River Styx chasing those people over many lands, felt like this was meant to be Kull's final story. Though Kings in the Night implies he died on the throne so to speak.

Think I prefer By This Axe I Rule to The Phoenix on the Sword, seemed to suit Kull better than Conan.

I just read that draft this morning! It was getting so good and then BAM. It was like hitting a wall! Aggghh.

That will haunt me for a lifetime now lol!
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#20 Bingam Vici

Bingam Vici

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:04 AM

I voted "The Screaming Skull of Silence" (incredible story, which surprised me :blink: )
I also liked "Swords of the Purple Kingdom", "By This Axe I Rule!" (good love story, and about the nobility and courage)