79 replies to this topic

#1 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

It's funny how some things that seem unconnected can link up at odd times. :)

I recently discovered this cool bar/restaurant in Ontario with over 100 different beers on tap from around Canada, the continent, and the world: the West 50 Pourhouse & Grille
site: http://www.hiprestau...0/mainmenu.html
beer list: http://www.hiprestau...50_BeerMenu.pdf

So, as I've enjoyed -- to varying degrees -- over 15 slightly or distinctly different beers ... and looking forward to more. But as I've sampled the variety, surprisingly REH and his Conan came to mind. Now I know REH didn't describe in any detail the differences in ales, but Conan traveled far and wide and certainly imbibed more than his fair share of regional brews. I wonder what Conan's opinion might have been on taste differences if REH had continued to write Conan and moved into longer stories and novels where he could spare to time for such passing world-building digressions, Howard's Hyborian Age being largely inspired by European history and mythology, and Europe being such a major part in beer history.

But that also makes me think, there's such a diverse range of cultures that have evolved across the world, and yet many -- maybe most -- have developed some form of beer. Maybe nothing too deep :) but it strikes me as an oddly interesting bit of parallel social evolution in socieites that can otherwise be somewhat polarized or at least noticably dissimilar. And among those that didn't develop beer on their own, historically when trade with cultures that had, beer was often apopted into the new culture and sometimes brewing techniques changed to create yet another variation of beer to best echo the new culture.

There's even some historical evidence to suggest that beer and the rise of civilization are tied:
http://news.national...4_kurtbeer.html
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#2 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:29 PM

This is a topic after my own heart! I went to BC this year and can vouch for the range and quality of Canadian beer. Lots of micro-breweries (although these are pretty big by British standards - we tend to use the term "micro-brewery" for when a pub makes its own beer on the premises). IPA and stout seem very popular, but I was also taken by the French-style bottle-conditioned brews from Quebec - although these were a bit over-strong for my liking.

Beer-brewing is one of the few things we still excel at in England. I find it sad that so many young people are stuck on alco-pops and fizzy lager. I have no doubts that Conan would have loved his ales. Fortunately with his active lifestyle he would have avoided the occupational hazard of the sedentary boozer - the beergut!

PS Have you tried Fraoch Heather Ale? This is pure nectar. I cannot drink it without thinking of Bran Mak Morn. There's a brilliant little poem by Robert Louis Stevenson about the Pictish origins of heather ale. I'm sure REH must have read it and been inspired.

Cheers! Posted Image
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#3 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Greetings!
All this talk about beer! :P It begs another question,which I hope is not off-topic. What beer(s) where availble to REH in Texas in the 30's?

Tu (thirsty)

#4 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

What beer(s) where availble to REH in Texas in the 30's?

None at all! Cross Plains was (and is) a dry town. But he got around this by brewing his own.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#5 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

I love that pic of him hoisting that big-ass beer glass!

Had one that size in Germany once. The waitress who brought us the order had forearms like Popeye.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#6 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Greetings!

None at all! Cross Plains was (and is) a dry town. But he got around this by brewing his own.

Hi Mickey_C! Yes I know,he mentions that in a letter to Tevis Clyde Smith,July16,1925.But he did travel a bit so I was wondering what beer(s) were brewed in Texas at that time.
Speaking of -dry- towns,I use to live in Ocean Park,ME. Another -dry- town.I use to know the trash guys,they told me there were more boozers there than Old Orchard Beach,ME! :lol:
Tried brwing my own beer back in high school,either it tasted like p*** or was the best stuff I ever drank,but what does a 16 year old know?! :P

Tu (back from the store!)

#7 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

I love that pic of him hoisting that big-ass beer glass!

Posted Image

That is a great picture of Bob.

Had one that size in Germany once. The waitress who brought us the order had forearms like Popeye.

:lol: :lol:

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#8 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 07:24 PM

That's a dark beer! Wonder if it's an ale, porter or stout...

I made a crockpot Irish stew two weeks ago with half beef bouillon and half Guiness. Damn that was good.
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#9 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

PS Have you tried Fraoch Heather Ale? This is pure nectar. I cannot drink it without thinking of Bran Mak Morn. There's a brilliant little poem by Robert Louis Stevenson about the Pictish origins of heather ale. I'm sure REH must have read it and been inspired.

Thanks for the link. I see Heather Ale is available at the L.C.B.O. in Canada. I'll have to give it a try next week.

So far, I've tried at West 50:

Affligem Abbey Beer, Belgium
Belle Vue Kriek Cherry Lambic Ale, Belgium
De Koninck Amber Ale, Belgium
Delerium Tremens, Belgium
Erdinger Dunkel, Germany
Erdinger Weissbier, Germany
Fruli Strawberry Wheat Lager, Belgium
Fullers ESB Pale Ale, England
Hacker~Pschorr Weiss Bier, Germany
Leffe Blonde Abbey Ale, Belgium
Leffe Brun Abbey Ale, Belgium
Maudite Strong Red Ale, Quebec
Neustadt 10W30 Brown Ale, Neustadt Ontario
Nicklebrook Green Apple, Burlington Ontario
Nicklebrook Maple Porter, Burlington Ontario
Old Credit Amber Ale, Port Credit Ontario
Paulaner Weissbier, Germany
Robert Simpson Sugarbush Lager, Barrie Ontario

and I'd recommend all ... but not to all tastes. :)

And that's still less than 20% of their list. So I've still brew exploration to do yet. ;)
scott tilson.
--------------------

#10 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

With the thickness of the head on that beer, I'd guess it's a stout.

And with the influence of Irish culture & mythology on the inspiration for Conan, you'd think REH would be interested in trying stout.
scott tilson.
--------------------

#11 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

The 10/27, during Rencontres Howardiennes (a meeting of French REH fans) in Paris this "Pictish drink" was almost mandatory ! If you click on the link, I'm on the left of the bottom picture, you can't see my face but the glass I was holding, filled with Fraoch.

BTW, it was in a pub named "The Falstaff". Someone hanged this REH quote on the wall: "Although there?s only one character of Shakespeare that I have any real attachment to, and that?s Sir John Falstaff. I have a sincere affection for that old bastard."
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#12 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

Spent a year in The Netherlands. I still miss those Dutch and Belgian wheat beers. I can find a few of them in the states, but damn they ain't cheap.
All that we see or seem

#13 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

I made a crockpot Irish stew two weeks ago with half beef bouillon and half Guiness. Damn that was good.

Hey Timeless! As I recall, REH wrote a little note on the photo that says something like,"Schlitz did not pay me for this endorsement and probably never will." :lol: So, I assume it's 30's-era Schlitz that just looks dark. Up through the 60's, Schlitz was huge in the US. BTW, I bought a black tee with that photo on the chest at Howard Days '06. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#14 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:53 AM

That's a COOL shirt to have, Deuce! You oughta post a pic of you wearing it while holding a similar beverage forthwith!

Yeah, I saw a caption that identified the beer as Schlitz. Can't imagine that. When I was growing up in South Saint Looey, Schlitz and Hamms were the cheap beers all the cheap old men drank.

Bob made beer at some point, didn't he? I tried three batches...the first was bad, the second was good, the third was great. But never could control the alcohol content and didn't want to punish my liver. So I went on to other hobbies and left the brewing to the people who know what they're doing.

Still punish my liver sometimes, though...

:rolleyes: :P
All that we see or seem

#15 Dragon Girl

Dragon Girl

MOAR KOFFEE!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:44 AM

I wouldn't know good beer from bad since I can't even stand the smell of the stuff. Smells like a cross between mold and a rotting carcass. I did once make an awesome beer-batter bread, though. I'll have to find another recipe for that.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying." ~ Woody Allen

#16 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

I wonder if it was good?

Seems to me, that any craft brewers who were also REH fans would have a bit of a prize if they could rediscover REH's homebrew recipe. ;)

After all, remember the response here when there were REH-based labeled bottled craftbrew celebrating Mark Finn's REH book?
Posted Image
from http://www.conan.com...h...c=3716&st=0
scott tilson.
--------------------

#17 yimsha

yimsha

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Location:Coventry uk (reluctantly - geordie by birth and heritage

Posted 02 December 2007 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the link. I see Heather Ale is available at the L.C.B.O. in Canada. I'll have to give it a try next week.

So far, I've tried at West 50:

Affligem Abbey Beer, Belgium
Belle Vue Kriek Cherry Lambic Ale, Belgium
De Koninck Amber Ale, Belgium
Delerium Tremens, Belgium
Erdinger Dunkel, Germany
Erdinger Weissbier, Germany
Fruli Strawberry Wheat Lager, Belgium
Fullers ESB Pale Ale, England
Hacker~Pschorr Weiss Bier, Germany
Leffe Blonde Abbey Ale, Belgium
Leffe Brun Abbey Ale, Belgium
Maudite Strong Red Ale, Quebec
Neustadt 10W30 Brown Ale, Neustadt Ontario
Nicklebrook Green Apple, Burlington Ontario
Nicklebrook Maple Porter, Burlington Ontario
Old Credit Amber Ale, Port Credit Ontario
Paulaner Weissbier, Germany
Robert Simpson Sugarbush Lager, Barrie Ontario

and I'd recommend all ... but not to all tastes. :)

And that's still less than 20% of their list. So I've still brew exploration to do yet. ;)

If they have Newcastle Brown Ale (bottled beer from my home town) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DRINK IT!!! It truly is poisonous.

There's an interesting phenomenon in th UK about how people like their beer poured. In the south (where it's warm and they are all soft pansies) they like their beer warm and flat, with no head. Up north, where the true men and good are spawned, cold and with a nice tight head. Obviously, we are right. They are wrong. They may have the money, jobs and weather, but we've got all the balls.
'who dies first?'

#18 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 04:46 PM

If they have Newcastle Brown Ale (bottled beer from my home town) DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DRINK IT!!! It truly is poisonous.

There's an interesting phenomenon in th UK about how people like their beer poured. In the south (where it's warm and they are all soft pansies) they like their beer warm and flat, with no head. Up north, where the true men and good are spawned, cold and with a nice tight head. Obviously, we are right. They are wrong. They may have the money, jobs and weather, but we've got all the balls.

:blink: :lol:

I see that "Newcastle Brown Ale, England" is on the West 50 list
http://www.hiprestau...50_BeerMenu.pdf
as well as "Holy Smoke Scotch Ale, Campbellford Ontario" from my home province, that also I've been told to AVOID AT ALL COSTS! :)

Personally, I'd also say stay away from Trafalgar Brewing's Maple Bock; bad enough that there wasn't a hint of Maple flavour, but is tasted like something scortched in the making, but then still bottled and sold. Yuck!

I have heard other deprications of Newcastle Brown Ale here:
http://www.bartowel....h...sc&start=45
Joking, I think, "if you order a pint of Newcastle they actually serve it at the bottom of the table!"
Posted Image

Coversely, I suggest if you come across anything from Mill St. Brewery (Toronto, Canada) -- I love their Coffee Porter -- or Unibroue from Quebec, Canada -- especially Trios Pistoles, a glorious Belgian-style strong ale with a rich fruity with hints of chocolate aroma and an aftertaste like port -- give them a try!
scott tilson.
--------------------

#19 yimsha

yimsha

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:05 PM

:blink: :lol:

I see that "Newcastle Brown Ale, England" is on the West 50 list
http://www.hiprestau...50_BeerMenu.pdf
as well as "Holy Smoke Scotch Ale, Campbellford Ontario" from my home province, that also I've been told to AVOID AT ALL COSTS! :)

Personally, I'd also say stay away from Trafalgar Brewing's Maple Bock; bad enough that there wasn't a hint of Maple flavour, but is tasted like something scortched in the making, but then still bottled and sold. Yuck!

I have heard other deprications of Newcastle Brown Ale here:
http://www.bartowel....h...sc&start=45
Joking, I think, "if you order a pint of Newcastle they actually serve it at the bottom of the table!"
Posted Image

Coversely, I suggest if you come across anything from Mill St. Brewery (Toronto, Canada) -- I love their Coffee Porter -- or Unibroue from Quebec, Canada -- especially Trios Pistoles, a glorious Belgian-style strong ale with a rich fruity with hints of chocolate aroma and an aftertaste like port -- give them a try!

If your curiosity gets the better of you, make sure it's very cold, and drink it out of a half pint glass, and keep topping it up to keep the head tight.
Me prejudice is a result of a nasty hangover (which it engenders at the best of times) due to playing the classic 'funnel game'.

The participant lies on the ground face up with a three pint funnel in his mouth, tongue over the hole. His friends fill the funnel up with three bottles of Dog (brown ale, so named because of the traditional - 'I'm away to take the dog for a walk pet' excuse used by married men all over the north east and slope off to the pub for a swift one). The participant then removes his tongue and is obliged to consume three pints of the evil stuff in one go. Not recommended.
'who dies first?'

#20 yimsha

yimsha

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

All becomes clear. Note the avatar of the individual posting about Brown Ale. He is a Manchester United supporter and therefore a cockney (as the majority of Man Utd fans are) this means that; 1) He is a southern nancy boy. 2) He wouldn't know good beer if it kicked him up the arse (even though he's right about the Broon, he's not allowed to criticise it, due to his southern ladyboy status) and 3) you should be aware that to everybody other than Man Utd supporters, they are known as 'the scum'. Just for your information.
'who dies first?'