• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

I haven't read Volume 3 yet, but I did briefly peruse it when I bought it earlier today. Upon first glance, I think I was a little more impressed with the artwork in Volume 2 - it immediately drew me in when I initially flipped through it. What did grab me when skimming Vol. 3 (besides the excellent art and the cool map) where the bare-breasted women. :lol: I guess this is when SSOC was trying to push the boundaries a bit more, huh? No longer are the topless ladies covered by the conveniently stray strand of hair. I do remember seeing this once or twice in a random issue of Conan Saga or SSOC, but I guess it seems more significant when the volumes are in chronological order.

Anyway, I'm nearly done with Volume 2, so I'm looking forward to delving into this new one!
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#22 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, it is definitely not censored! I noticed that too.

#23 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:24 AM

I have two questions-- does anybody know of a good online Savage Sword of Conan bibliography, so that we can check to see exactly what is coming up in future Dark Horse volumes?

And the second question is, where is the Dark Horse preview for Savage Sword of Conan volume 4???

#24 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:51 AM

I just ordered my copy online, so it should be in my hands by early next week. Which issue exactly did the nudity start? I do remember that once they crossed that line, it was pretty much full-blown after that.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#25 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

The very first story, Jewels of Gwalur has a nude scene where Conan tears off her skirt to find the birthmark.

#26 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

And the People of the Black Circle adaptation showed Yasmina naked from the back, so it was a steady progression hehe.

#27 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

Just received mine yesterday. I wasn't too impressed with the artwork on Jewels of Gwalhur. I'm now on "Beyond the Black River". Lovin' it! :)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#28 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

Anyone know how sales are doing for this? I'm curious if it outdid the previous two volumes.

#29 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:57 PM

Just received mine yesterday. I wasn't too impressed with the artwork on Jewels of Gwalhur. I'm now on "Beyond the Black River". Lovin' it! :)

Oh, man, I really like Giordano! He's the guy who adapted Dracula for Marvel, and used to ink Neal Adams a lot. I like it even better than P Craig Russell's version, which is saying a lot!

#30 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:00 PM

Oh, man, I really like Giordano! He's the guy who adapted Dracula for Marvel, and used to ink Neal Adams a lot. I like it even better than P Craig Russell's version, which is saying a lot!

Speaking of Dracula, I wish Dark Horse would reprint in some form, the Solomon Kane vs. Dracula novella that was in the same issue as "Beyond the Black River". That was really cool.
Posted Image

#31 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

Speaking of Dracula, I wish Dark Horse would reprint in some form, the Solomon Kane vs. Dracula novella that was in the same issue as "Beyond the Black River". That was really cool.

Yes, that's right. There was at least two Kane Vs Dracula stories, and those have not been reprinted in the Essential Tomb Of Dracula books because they don't have the rights to Kane, nor have they been printed in the Dark Horse Savage Sword trades because those are just the Conan stories.

I am hoping that when Dark Horse gets Solomon Kane and Kull mini-series going, that they may do reprint collections of their Marvel stuff. The question then would be, does Dark Horse have the rights to the Marvel Dracula???? :huh:

#32 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

I just read Hawks Over Shem in this Vol. of Savage Sword. Wow! Man, that story is really brought to life among these pages. It's a much better take on the story than the prose version. The art is fan-freakin-tastic.

Loved it.

#33 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I just finished reading The Flame Knife in this volume of Savage Sword, and I've got to say, this version of the story is better than the prose version (I usually feel the other way). In my opinion, it's because The Flame Knife is such a visual story, with breath-taking scenery among the mountains. The hordes of factions fighting in the end is better suited to a visual story than pure imagination (at least from my pov).

The Flame Knife is one of my favorite Conan tales, already, and I'm glad I like the story even more seeing it here in Vol. 3.