13 replies to this topic

#1 elegos7

elegos7

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

In the Pacific lies the Island of the People of the Black Coast, inhabited by intelligent giant crabs. They have superior intelligence to humans but weaker senses. They communicate by telepathy and can also use their mind powers to overwhelm their prey.

This story was first published in 1969. Do any of you know in which year REH has written this story?

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hey Elegos! Not sure where Rusty and Patrice are, so... My guess would be 1931 or '32.

BTW, does anyone else see a few similarities betwixt "PotBC" and the Amelia Earhart mystery? :ph34r:

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

In the Pacific lies the Island of the People of the Black Coast, inhabited by intelligent giant crabs. They have superior intelligence to humans but weaker senses. They communicate by telepathy and can also use their mind powers to overwhelm their prey.

This story was first published in 1969. Do any of you know in which year REH has written this story?

Sometime between March and December 1928, very probably after July.

Patrice

#4 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Thanks, Patrice! I was only off, what 3 or 4 years? :P That's just one of the great things that have resulted from your REH manuscript studies. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:53 PM

Hey, Elegos! Hey, Deuce! :)

Unhappily, I only saw the comic version of this tale - published in Conan The Barbarian #99 :( . Do you know an website where I can find the original version - the yarn?

#6 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

And that's one really weird story. What we have is the carbon, btw. The original typescript is long gone.

Patrice

#7 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:31 AM

And that's one really weird story. What we have is the carbon, btw. The original typescript is long gone.

Patrice

All right, Patrice. Where can I find the copy you have?

#8 elegos7

elegos7

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:33 AM

Thanks Patrice for the quick reply.

Is it a coincidence that it was around the summer of 1928 that REH continued to work on The Isle of the Eons (but abandoned it once again)? Both stories begin in a very similar way: 2 people crashland on a Pacific Isle with high cliffs, inhabited by monsters. Perhaps he wrote this story after he abandoned The Isle of the Eons yet again.

Actually there are a few more REH stories that I cannot really date. Can we expect a published timeline of the composition of the REH stories? Rusty Burke has a timeline on Rehupa, but it is probably a bit outdated and does not contain all the important stories (like this one).

Karoly

Sometime between March and December 1928, very probably after July.

Patrice

#9 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

Unhappily, I only saw the comic version of this tale - published in Conan The Barbarian #99 :( . Do you know an website where I can find the original version - the yarn?

PEOPLE OF THE BLACK COAST
First appeared in SPACEWAY SCIENCE FICTION, September-October 1969
NIGHT CHILLS (Anth.)
BLACK CANAAN (Berkley)
TALES OF DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (Anth.)
BEYOND THE BORDERS (Baen)

HowardWorks, your source for locating EVERY work of REH.

#10 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

Thanks Patrice for the quick reply.

Actually there are a few more REH stories that I cannot really date. Can we expect a published timeline of the composition of the REH stories? Rusty Burke has a timeline on Rehupa, but it is probably a bit outdated and does not contain all the important stories (like this one).

Karoly

Well, try me. If I have the information ready, I can post that; if not, I won't have the time to do it real soon, unfortunately.

Patrice

#11 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Brian Leno on "PotBC"

Robert E. Howard and the Crabs on the Coast

and Haggard and his “Giant Crabs”

The latter blog post is about Robert McIlvaine’s article, “Giant Intelligent Crabs, Oh My! Haggard and Howard.”
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#12 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

PEOPLE OF THE BLACK COAST
First appeared in SPACEWAY SCIENCE FICTION, September-October 1969
NIGHT CHILLS (Anth.)
BLACK CANAAN (Berkley)
TALES OF DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (Anth.)
BEYOND THE BORDERS (Baen)

HowardWorks, your source for locating EVERY work of REH.

I have the Black Canaan anthology,what other stories are in the others ones?

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#13 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

Brian Leno on "PotBC"

Robert E. Howard and the Crabs on the Coast

and Haggard and his “Giant Crabs”

The latter blog post is about Robert McIlvaine’s article, “Giant Intelligent Crabs, Oh My! Haggard and Howard.”

Good stuff. B) REH actually anticipated Lovecraft in some ways.

#14 bobmc

bobmc

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

The narrator of this story is clealy insane, much like the narrators of many Poe stories. Has he been driven mad because of guilt?
Did he lure Gloria to this island, murder and dismember her? Let the remains drift out to sea?
Is he confined to a madhouse?
For my part, I don't believe a word he says (or writes).