30 replies to this topic

#21 Amaron

Amaron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

IF there was an e-mail exchange of Day of the Lion please put me on that list.
?Customs differ in various countries, but if a man is strong enough, he can enforce a few of his native customs anywhere."
--Robert E. Howard, "The Vale of Lost Women"--

http://www.david-j-west.blogspot.com

#22 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:29 AM

Here it is:

?Conan leaves Belesa and Tina on the Zingaran coast as planned, and sails off on The Red Hand to loot the southern seas. His latest interlude as buccaneer is ill-fated, however. Before Conan can make much of a start, the Zingarans sink The Red Hand. Conan is carried in chains to the Zingaran capital, Kordava, at the mouth of the Black River. Here he is thrown in prison, awaiting execution.
Belesa, who has made a fortune from the jewels Conan gave her, learns of Conan?s fate. Using her wealth and connections in Kordava, she hires a Poitanian adventurer, Prospero, to undertake Conan?s rescue. Prospero leads a daring raid, saves Conan?s neck. In the aftermath, Prospero?s men are cut down, and the enraged Zingaran authorities throw a net over Kordava to recapture Conan. Cut off from the sea and the inland, Conan makes a desperate escape by taking a boat up the Black River into the Pictish Wilderness?Prospero escaping with him.
Escaping from the Picts, Conan and Prospero reach the Aquilonian frontier at Thunder River. Here, on the Bossonian Marches, Conan has friends. His former comrades had believed Conan dead after he had been captured by the Picts some months before. Conan again takes service in the Aquilonian army. During his absence, the situation on the frontier has deteriorated badly?in part because of Namedides? refusal to garrison the Marches adequately, in part because of rising Pictish aggression after their victory over the Aquilonians in ?Beyond the Black River.?
As the situation heats up, Conan rises to generalship over the army of the frontier. The Picts launch a mass invasion of the Bossonian Marches, and Conan leads the Aquilonian army to victory over them?crushing the Pictish threat for the time being, at least.
Conan?s success has won him powerful enemies among the Aquilonian noblility and his fellow officers. At the same time Conan has become a popular hero. King Namidides sees Conan as a threat to his rule, an opinion Conan?s enemies take care to encourage. Namedides invites Conan to Tarantia for a triumphal procession. Conan falls into the trap, is captured, and is imprisoned in the Iron Tower.
Conan escapes from the Iron Tower. He is now intent on vengeance upon Namedides. With Prospero, Conan withdraws to his friend?s native Poitain. Prospero introduces Conan to the powerful Count Trocero of Poitain, who (as Howard tells us) had attacked Tamar (Tarantia) 15 years prior to the events in ?The Scarlet Citadel.? Thus Trocero is already an enemy of the Aquilonian King, and through Prospero the count agrees to aid Conan against Namedides.
More concerned with debauchery than maintaining order, King Namedides has allowed his powerful barons to build up large private armies and to rule their subjects as they please. The situation is explosive: a peasant rebellion is threatening, the barons are becoming increasingly powerful, and the dissolute Namedides is willing to take any steps necessary to preserve his despotic reign.
Conan?s status as a popular hero, along with his proven abilities as a military leader, attracts the attention of Count Callidios. As the head of one of the powerful Aquilonian houses, Callidios sees himself as a kingmaker. Callidios fans the flames of revolution, bringing mass support for the usurper. At the same time, Callidios enlists the aid of many of the barons for Conan?s cause- promising them rich spoils once Conan is king. For Callidios intends to be the power behind the throne, using Conan as his puppet. Or so Conan, who is no stranger to intrigue, judges to be Callidios? motives. He tolerates Callidios, confident that he can rid himself of the kingmaker once he no longer needs his support.
With Trocero?s Poitanian army behind him, the populace massing to his banner, and Callidios? support, Conan seems to have the upper hand. However, a series of setbacks dog his campaign, dragging out the civil war without decisive battle. Callidios is secretly furnishing aid to Namedides- letting both factions destroy themselves in a long war, while the kingmaker will step to the fore once both are exhausted, and make himself king. As the civil war rages on, King Namedides in desperation seeks out sorcerous assistance to protect his crushing power, throwing yet another force into the tangle.
Through a deadly web of treachery, plots, and counterplots, of violent battle and sinister sorceries- Conan leads his rebel army to victory. A final battle defeats Namedides? army; Conan takes the capital, and strangles Namedides on his throne. Callidios? treacherous designs fail at the final instant, and Conan has won his crown?and all the burdens that go with it.?
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#23 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

Thanks, Morgan. There you are, people. No more need to hassle anyone, right? :)

Besides, why read that synopsis when you have Conan the Liberator to read and reread again and again? I mean, de Camp WAS the man who "gave us Conan" and "brought Conan to a new generation", right? ;)

I especially like the parts with the friendly, flute-playing satyrs. :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#24 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Here it is:

?Conan leaves Belesa and Tina on the Zingaran coast as planned, and sails off on The Red Hand to loot the southern seas. His latest interlude as buccaneer is ill-fated, however. Before Conan can make much of a start, the Zingarans sink The Red Hand. Conan is carried in chains to the Zingaran capital, Kordava, at the mouth of the Black River. Here he is thrown in prison, awaiting execution.
Belesa, who has made a fortune from the jewels Conan gave her, learns of Conan?s fate. Using her wealth and connections in Kordava, she hires a Poitanian adventurer, Prospero, to undertake Conan?s rescue. Prospero leads a daring raid, saves Conan?s neck. In the aftermath, Prospero?s men are cut down, and the enraged Zingaran authorities throw a net over Kordava to recapture Conan. Cut off from the sea and the inland, Conan makes a desperate escape by taking a boat up the Black River into the Pictish Wilderness?Prospero escaping with him.
Escaping from the Picts, Conan and Prospero reach the Aquilonian frontier at Thunder River. Here, on the Bossonian Marches, Conan has friends. His former comrades had believed Conan dead after he had been captured by the Picts some months before. Conan again takes service in the Aquilonian army. During his absence, the situation on the frontier has deteriorated badly?in part because of Namedides? refusal to garrison the Marches adequately, in part because of rising Pictish aggression after their victory over the Aquilonians in ?Beyond the Black River.?
As the situation heats up, Conan rises to generalship over the army of the frontier. The Picts launch a mass invasion of the Bossonian Marches, and Conan leads the Aquilonian army to victory over them?crushing the Pictish threat for the time being, at least.
Conan?s success has won him powerful enemies among the Aquilonian noblility and his fellow officers. At the same time Conan has become a popular hero. King Namidides sees Conan as a threat to his rule, an opinion Conan?s enemies take care to encourage. Namedides invites Conan to Tarantia for a triumphal procession. Conan falls into the trap, is captured, and is imprisoned in the Iron Tower.
Conan escapes from the Iron Tower. He is now intent on vengeance upon Namedides. With Prospero, Conan withdraws to his friend?s native Poitain. Prospero introduces Conan to the powerful Count Trocero of Poitain, who (as Howard tells us) had attacked Tamar (Tarantia) 15 years prior to the events in ?The Scarlet Citadel.? Thus Trocero is already an enemy of the Aquilonian King, and through Prospero the count agrees to aid Conan against Namedides.
More concerned with debauchery than maintaining order, King Namedides has allowed his powerful barons to build up large private armies and to rule their subjects as they please. The situation is explosive: a peasant rebellion is threatening, the barons are becoming increasingly powerful, and the dissolute Namedides is willing to take any steps necessary to preserve his despotic reign.
Conan?s status as a popular hero, along with his proven abilities as a military leader, attracts the attention of Count Callidios. As the head of one of the powerful Aquilonian houses, Callidios sees himself as a kingmaker. Callidios fans the flames of revolution, bringing mass support for the usurper. At the same time, Callidios enlists the aid of many of the barons for Conan?s cause- promising them rich spoils once Conan is king. For Callidios intends to be the power behind the throne, using Conan as his puppet. Or so Conan, who is no stranger to intrigue, judges to be Callidios? motives. He tolerates Callidios, confident that he can rid himself of the kingmaker once he no longer needs his support.
With Trocero?s Poitanian army behind him, the populace massing to his banner, and Callidios? support, Conan seems to have the upper hand. However, a series of setbacks dog his campaign, dragging out the civil war without decisive battle. Callidios is secretly furnishing aid to Namedides- letting both factions destroy themselves in a long war, while the kingmaker will step to the fore once both are exhausted, and make himself king. As the civil war rages on, King Namedides in desperation seeks out sorcerous assistance to protect his crushing power, throwing yet another force into the tangle.
Through a deadly web of treachery, plots, and counterplots, of violent battle and sinister sorceries- Conan leads his rebel army to victory. A final battle defeats Namedides? army; Conan takes the capital, and strangles Namedides on his throne. Callidios? treacherous designs fail at the final instant, and Conan has won his crown?and all the burdens that go with it.?

Thank you very much for sharing this sinopsys, Docpod! :) Though the plot isn't 100% faithful to REH, it's far more than LSDC/LC's Conan The Liberator!

#25 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:02 AM

But Wagner never even mentions the satyrs! :huh:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#26 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:56 AM

Other good point for him! :) At least he didn't contradict REH, by using gentle satyrs, as LSDC/LC did in Conan The Liberator. ;)

#27 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:07 AM

Other good point for him! :) At least he didn't contradict REH, by using gentle satyrs, as LSDC/LC did in Conan The Liberator. ;)

For an excellent depiction of satyrs I recommend Charles G. Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao . It has quite a good sex scene with a satyr.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#28 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

For an excellent depiction of satyrs I recommend Charles G. Finney's The Circus of Dr. Lao . It has quite a good sex scene with a satyr.

Fair enough... For a Howardian depiction of satyrs, I recommend the fragment, "Temple of Abomination" or The Valley of the Worm.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#29 ghul

ghul

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

I recently picked up the comic book for Valley of the Worm. I loved the way Gil Kane depicted the Picts. It was a pretty decent adaption by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway.

ValleyotWorm_zpscd3e4370.jpg

As for the topic (and my obvious threadomancy), Wagner is superior to De Camp in every way, but I suppose I'm preaching to the choir. ;)

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of HyperboreaA Role-Playing Game of Swords, Sorcery, and Weird Fantasy

#30 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Anytime I can get a Karl Wagner book I do.

71SfkJgzDoL.jpg

Kane An immortal, cursed to wander the Earth until he is destroyed by the violence that he himself has created. A warrior and statesman: As comfortable in the shadowy halls of courtly intrigue as he is on the bloody battlefields where those intrigue's inevitably play themselves out. Karl Edward Wagner's complex and compelling character of Kane redefines the boundaries of heroic fantasy, and stands besides Michael Moorcock's Elric, and Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser as one of the most idiosyncratic and compelling characters of the fantasy genre. Gods in Darkness gathers together in one volume the complete novels of Kane.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#31 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Here it is:

Wow this seems like it would have taken five or six hundred pages to flesh out.    Would have been a good read though I'm sure. 

Kev

"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword