32 replies to this topic

#1 Moncynnes

Moncynnes

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

I heard that Wagner's outline of "Day of the Lion", his version of how Conan became king of Aquilonia, was once published. Anyone know where? Is it available online anywhere?

#2 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

According to Rusty, it looks like this was the only place it appeared. Too bad, you've just missed one on .
Ebay. :( A reasonable price too. I don't know how often they crop up. Personally I'd love to read this.

*#~^ing LSDC!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#3 perfectpawn909

perfectpawn909

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

Karl Edward Wagner's outline for his aborted novel "Day of the Lion" -- the story of Conan's taking of the Aquilonian crown -- was published in the second issue of Simba magazine, and nowhere else. I think it's a shame this story has been sequestered in a magazine that was only printed in 500 copies. Someone on this board surely has that magazine, though, and it would be wonderful if they would take the time to type it up and post it here for the rest of us to appreciate. Thanks!

Edited by perfectpawn909, 06 April 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#4 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

Karl Edward Wagner's outline for his aborted novel "Day of the Lion" -- the story of Conan's taking of the Aquilonian crown -- was published in the second issue of Simba magazine, and nowhere else. I think it's a shame this story has been sequestered in a magazine that was only printed in 500 copies. Someone on this board surely has that magazine, though, and it would be wonderful if they would take the time to type it up and post it here for the rest of us to appreciate. Thanks!

Might be nice, but not legal -- it's still under copyright. Perhaps some nice individual could supply you offline, though.

Rusty

#5 perfectpawn909

perfectpawn909

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

That's surprising it would be under copyright...an outline for an unpublished novel, printed in what seems to have been a fanzine. But it's understandable I guess, in that Conan's a licensed property. But sure, if someone wants to send it to me offline...I'll happily receive it and send tons of thanks!

#6 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

A nice individual should scan it as a .pdf and pm it to us who are interested. (hint hint)

#7 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Might be nice, but not legal -- it's still under copyright. Perhaps some nice individual could supply you offline, though.

Rusty

Umm, Rusty, that'd still be copyright infringement.

#8 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, but it wouldn't involve the Forum.

Rusty

#9 perfectpawn909

perfectpawn909

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

Okay, "copyright infringement" is one of those buzzwords people like to toss around without consideration...I mean, really...WHO exactly would be losing money in the sharing of an outline written by a now-deceased author, published 31 years ago in a fanzine limited to 500 copies? Who? Are there plans afoot to publish this as a pamphlet? Is Tor or St Martin's Press banging down the doors of Wagner's estate for the rights? I could understand if we were discussing say the new Stephen King novel, but we're not.

#10 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Okay, "copyright infringement" is one of those buzzwords people like to toss around without consideration...I mean, really...WHO exactly would be losing money in the sharing of an outline written by a now-deceased author, published 31 years ago in a fanzine limited to 500 copies? Who? Are there plans afoot to publish this as a pamphlet? Is Tor or St Martin's Press banging down the doors of Wagner's estate for the rights? I could understand if we were discussing say the new Stephen King novel, but we're not.

Hey Pawn! Welcome to the forum. :D Paul "godzilladude" Herman doesn't "toss around" terms like "copyright infringement". He's a practicing intellectual properties attorney. We've had debates on such issues on this particular board ("Conan Public Domain?") before. The outline is out there. I'm sure one of our helpful members will oblige you. Perhaps you could contact the KEW estate?

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#11 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:56 PM

Yeah, but it wouldn't involve the Forum.

Rusty

That'd be a good question! If they were just emailing back and forth privately, outside the forum, sure. But a PM, inside the forum, I think that would be more of a problem. As if anyone cares.

#12 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Right on! So, speaking as a mod on this Official Robert E. Howard Forum, I strongly urge each and every member to just set up an exchange of emails if they want to pass on Wagner's excellent "DotL". :) How hard could that be?

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#13 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

I want it too
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#14 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:35 PM

I have to admit that I would be interested in seeing a copy of that outline.

Of course if anyone here did have a copy and wanted to send it to me via an email, I would be most grateful.

Edited by Kane, 08 April 2009 - 10:35 PM.

"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#15 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:55 AM

I had seen this listed but was never really sure what it was..

But I'm thinking it was the Outline for the Story when Conan Usurps the throne of aquilonia but DeCamp replaced with with Satyr infested Liberator instead?

#16 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:24 AM

But I'm thinking it was the Outline for the Story when Conan Usurps the throne of aquilonia but DeCamp replaced with with Satyr infested Liberator instead?

Exactly. Liberator precluded KEW's novel about Conan's rise to kingship to be written. :(
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#17 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Exactly. Liberator precluded KEW's novel about Conan's rise to kingship to be written. :(

It's kind of a shame that KEW didn't finish it anyway.. just change the characters names but maybe he couldn't or something I dunno..

I've never read Liberator.. I've got a good many DeCamp-chronology Conans left to read before I get to it.. but It and Spidergod are two I'm dreading..

#18 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:12 AM

Wagner got paid big advances for alot of things in the 70s that he did not finish.In the wake of the night [kane] was started but never finished and the chapters done are lost.The bran novel queen of the night was never started.I dont know if these book publishers sued wagner or he just got to keep the money.Wagner was a slow writer and was better sueted to the shorter story.his demons did not help.But this is the first time I heard about Day of the lion.I know he also got paid for doing a conan movie script.Is Day of the lion maybey it?

#19 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

(...)But this is the first time I heard about Day of the lion.I know he also got paid for doing a conan movie script.Is Day of the lion maybey it?

Nope, two different things.

In the fanzine where it was published, as a preface to the DotL synopsis, KEW wrote this:

In early 1977 I was asked to organize matenial for three new Conan novels which I was to write for Bantam Books, under the authorizatlon of tbe Howard estate and Conan Properties, Inc. Accordingly, I submitted a prospectus for the first of those three pastiches -a novel that would chronicle Conan's usurpation of the throne of Aquilonia. To my regret, I was informed that L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, who were also to write three new Conan novels for Bantam, had earlier agreed to write the novel that would cover this episode in Conan's career. In deference to their prior claim, I withdrew my prospectus and selected new areas for my pastiche efforts.

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#20 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:01 AM

Thanks for the info axe.that blurb just shows how hot conan was in the 70s.Imagine trying to get all that great small press stuff without the internet.Some stuff can be found on ebay now but they are expensive[Like bran mak morn a play]