104 replies to this topic

#21 Duar2009

Duar2009

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

I've been following some of the discussions about Indo-Europeans, (formerly known as Aryans) in this thread, and it reminded me that I've often wondered about what REH meant by "the sons of Aryas". I've assumed this refers to a racial deity or mythological race-founder, but does anyone have any more precise ideas about this?

I think REH was referring to the Indo-Europeans. as Kortoso said he probably changed the spelling because he was writing it into a fantasy story. Most of The Weird tales' readers were not as versed in ancient history as REH who had a very impressive knowledge of such subjects and used to his advantage when it came to typing up an imaginary story. "The Grey God passes" is a great example of his historical fantasy yarns. He had a cinematic touch to his tales that should have been made into movies. If REH would have been a script writer in Hollywood he could have been one of the greatest.

#22 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

If Robert E. Howard thought that the Picts might have been the fathers of Indo-European culture, we would have heard about it. ;)

#23 Pictish Scout

Pictish Scout

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

If Robert E. Howard thought that the Picts might have been the fathers of Indo-European culture, we would have heard about it. ;)

In my "wild theory" Robert Howard wasn't talking about Indo-Europeans when he mentioned "Aryas", he was talking about Picts, and Aryas is a rename of the character Arus the nemedian priest of "The Hyborean Age". It is a sort of "What if Aryas IS Arus the Nemedian"? And the Sons of Arus are the Picts. Do you think there is any possibility ? Do you think there is some logic in it at all?

#24 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:48 AM

I've been following some of the discussions about Indo-Europeans, (formerly known as Aryans) in this thread, and it reminded me that I've often wondered about what REH meant by "the sons of Aryas". I've assumed this refers to a racial deity or mythological race-founder, but does anyone have any more precise ideas about this?

I think REH was referring to the Indo-Europeans. as Kortoso said he probably changed the spelling because he was writing it into a fantasy story.

Hey Duar! That theory is certainly likely (regarding the "spelling change"), but I'd still like to hear Louinet's verdict on whether it was a typo for "sons of Aryan". REH used that phrase in TWO other yarns, including one set in the immediate "post-Hyborian Age" AND written during the same year as "Phoenix".

Most of The Weird tales' readers were not as versed in ancient history as REH who had a very impressive knowledge of such subjects and used to his advantage when it came to typing up an imaginary story. "The Grey God passes" is a great example of his historical fantasy yarns. He had a cinematic touch to his tales that should have been made into movies. If REH would have been a script writer in Hollywood he could have been one of the greatest.

I certainly agree that "Grey God" would make a GREAT movie. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#25 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:49 AM

I agree, Kortoso. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#26 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

REH used that phrase in TWO other yarns, including one set in the immediate "post-Hyborian Age" AND written during the same year as "Phoenix".

You're doubtless speaking about a JA's yarn, but I can't recall what of them... :unsure:

#27 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:08 AM

REH used that phrase in TWO other yarns, including one set in the immediate "post-Hyborian Age" AND written during the same year as "Phoenix".

You're doubtless speaking about a JA's yarn, but I can't recall what of them... :unsure:

Hey Fernando! The Valley of the Worm. It's in my annotations.

#28 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:25 AM

Indeed, TVotW. The other story where REH penned the words "Sons of Aryan" was The Children of the Night.

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#29 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

Indeed, TVotW. The other story where REH penned the words "Sons of Aryan" was The Children of the Night.

EXACTLY, Axe. B) BOTH yarns made it perfectly clear that REH was NOT referring to "Picts".

Also, the protagonist of "CotN" is called (in his former life), "Aryara". This is an obvious modification of "Aryan", so the idea that REH might modify "Aryan" again (even less radically) to "Aryas" is entirely within the realm of probability.

Y'all might want to check out this blog: http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=3360

#30 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:34 AM

Thank you very much, Deuce and Axerules! :D

#31 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:20 AM

Arianism was a doctrine of early Christianity derived from the teachings of Arius, a deacon in 3rd c. Alexandria.
Whether Howard was referring to this, or to the Aryan peoples I don't know. Given the spelling, and Howard's predilection for ancient peoples, I'm tending toward the latter. Still, it might be interesting to consider the passage in question as a symbolic movement from one age, the ancient age, to the next.

Not the same, just a homophone.

NOT even necessarily a "homophone". To Latin speakers of the time, the name of "Arius" might well have been pronounced "AHR-yoos". Meanwhile, in modern Iran and Afghanistan, "Aryas" (VERY close to the Iranian "Aryash") would be pronounced "AHR-yahs". When in doubt, modern Americans treat just about any vowel as "uh". :rolleyes:

REH was linguistically sophisticated for his time and place. He had a decent acquaintance with Spanish and Irish Gaelic. He knew how to pronounce words in a "European" fashion, where "a" is "ah" and "u" is "oo".

Not saying that he DID pronounce "Aryas" differently than "Arius", just that there is some uncertainty.

#32 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:38 PM

Wow , took me long enough but I finally found this topic , I knew I recalled a 'language' topic somewhere . Anyhow , apropo of nothing recent on these boards - here's an interesting bit I found recently ( took me long enough to scan/tweak/shrink to a decent file-size for posting - hope it's visible on y'ens computer innertubes ! ;) ) Being a bit of a language buff myself ( not that I think I could ever teach even Engle'se or grammar - but I'm a big fan of communication ) & knowing there's more than a few other language fans here - I thought this chart might be of some small interest , I've really gotten some use out of it . It's like one of those surprise 'learning-tools' that you run across once in a blue-moon that makes unintelligible stuff suddenly make sense , Like "Hooked on Ebonics , I mean 'phonics' " :P (kidding) Like a small resetta-stone of sorts anyway .

But without ever taking any classes , where I grew up I learned a small bit of the Balto-Slavic/Germanic languages , & having become somewhat of a fan of the "dead" language of Rome , it's amazing how much you can pick up of later languages that actually prove 'Latin' really never has died at all - just like the "Empire" - it simply morphed into a few other things . & Suddenly root-words of the so-called 'romance-languages' ( tho I hate that term - they sound fairly 'barbaric' & UN-romantic to me <_< ) - anyhow , much of Spanish/Italian/French/Romanian etc. & then even a lot of the Norman-Franco influence on the Angle/Saxon/Germanic English language becomes even more clear . You find that it gets much easier to pick up words , then phrases , then you can passingly communicate to some degree with folks from the other side of the world ( or at least learn to ask "hey old babushka , can I have another bowl of Borscht " , " no , no more yak thank you " , " pass the rakij Ygor " , and " hurry , where's the bathroom ..." :lol: ) . & to think - you could have been burned or hanged a few hundred years back for learning language skills so quickly ! Hope someone gets some use out of it if ya never saw it before . - Anyhow , here................

(you'll prob. have to click to enlarge , I tried to shrink it more , but then it gets illegible )
Posted Image

Edited by PainBrush, 21 July 2009 - 12:53 PM.

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#33 Old Garfield

Old Garfield

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:18 AM

I always considered the "Sons of Aryas" to refer to the Indo-Europeans. However, REH's view of ethnic history was not real history at all, but it was attached to romanticized ideals of history, so once you get outside of his Hyborian Age construct, lots of connections begin to fall apart.
"How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?"
-REH

#34 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

I always considered the "Sons of Aryas" to refer to the Indo-Europeans. However, REH's view of ethnic history was not real history at all, but it was attached to romanticized ideals of history, so once you get outside of his Hyborian Age construct, lots of connections begin to fall apart.

Yeah, that's got my vote as well. He would have wanted to tie in his tales to known history, and render it in an saga-like manner.

But it would not be beyond Howard to wonder what mythic hero that the Indo-European Aryans were named after.

#35 Old Garfield

Old Garfield

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, that's got my vote as well. He would have wanted to tie in his tales to known history, and render it in an saga-like manner.

But it would not be beyond Howard to wonder what mythic hero that the Indo-European Aryans were named after.

To really deal with Howard's view, you've also got to understand the state of anthropology, history, and ethnography at the time. And a lot of it was, well...very, very Germanocentric, to put it mildly. And in retrospect, a lot of the "wandering peoples" ethnohistory of the time has not held up well over the years to scrutiny and new archaeological evidence. I'm willing to bet that the Aryans Howard was writing about were not the dusky-skinned central Asian people, but the weird semireligious construct of the ethnohistorians at the time - basically proto-Germans.
"How can I wear the harness of toil
And sweat at the daily round,
While in my soul forever
The drums of Pictdom sound?"
-REH

#36 loticanor

loticanor

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

I hate to bring this fascinating discussion to a crashing end but the sons of "Areus"/Ares are clearly Romulus and Remus, the founders of the Roman Empire.

This places the story between 1600BC (the supposed sinking of Atlantis) and 700BC (the founding of Rome).

http://en.wikipedia....mulus_and_Remus

#37 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

I hate to bring this fascinating discussion to a crashing end but the sons of "Areus"/Ares are clearly Romulus and Remus, the founders of the Roman Empire.

This places the story between 1600BC (the supposed sinking of Atlantis) and 700BC (the founding of Rome).

Hey loticanor! Welcome to the forum. :D Before you start mouthing off and putting all of us in our place, you might try reading a bit more Robert E. Howard. BTW, REH knew perfectly well who Romulus and Remus were (thanks for the link). He said they were sons of a prostitute (a mundane one, NOT Venus; no offense). You also might check out Howard's essay "The Hyborian Age". If you don't have time for that, at least closely read the preceding discussion which you so cavalierly dismissed.

You also might check out what REH said about the Romans here:

http://www.conan.com...topic=5569&st=0

Hope that helps. :)

#38 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

ALWAYS intrigued me, that line from REH.

Gotta back both Deuce and Old Garfield and especially Kortoso.

One thing Bob loved to do more than read and learn about history and pre-history was to PLAY with his version of it. Fertile ground for a more than fertile imagination (I imagine :P .)

Deep soil there.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#39 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

Welcome to the forum! :)

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#40 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Welcome to the boards. :)

I'm not sure if I should bother even responding, since this appears to be a drive-by post, but why not.

First of all Aryas=Areus=Ares makes no etymological sense in either Greek or Latin. If REH had intended to make a reference to Romulus and Remus he would have referred to them as the "Sons of Mars" not the "Sons of Ares." We tend to syncretize Greek and Roman deities today as though there is no difference between the two, but they are actually quite different gods from different cultures and with differents stories related to them. REH knew his classical mythological very well and would have understood this distinction. With the phrase "Sons of Ares" one would usually think of Phobos, Deimos, and Eros - not Romulus and Remus.

Additionally, while Sir Arthur Evans had once suggested in passing that the Minoan civilation on Crete might have been the inspiration for Atlantis, the idea that the sinking of Atlantis was related to the Thera eruption did not become popular at all until after Akrotiri was discovered in the 1960's, long after REH's time.

But really all of this is moot as REH's phase, when taken in context, clearly refers to rise of Indo-aryan culture and Indo-european speaking peoples or, to use the language of his day, the "Aryans." Whether or not this was simply a poetic way of referring to the rise of historical civilation or his inventing a legendary "founder" of the Aryan people to create a sense of mythological verisimilitude (like Danaus for the Danaans) is a matter for conjecture.

Edited by theagenes, 29 December 2009 - 09:22 PM.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of