4 replies to this topic

#1 Spartan198

Spartan198

Spartiatai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

As I write this, I stare at a Rand McNally world map tacked up on my wall, but everytime I look at Europe, I don't see Europe -- I see the Hyborian continent.

I've been thinking a lot lately about drawing up my own large scale map of the continent on a giant piece of drawing paper with modern Europe as an outline, just to simply put some modern lines to it's coast, if you understand what I mean. For example, the small subcontinents of Vendhya and Kambuja corrospond respectively (and logically) to India and southeast Asia, with the small unnamed island (called "Lemuria" on several maps) west of Khitai quite possibly being southern Japan. But as many have said and doubtless will say in the future, it doesn't all match up correctly.

Take this map of the Hyborian continent, made by Vincent N. Darlage, as an example of my idea. Sure, it's not perfect and not exactly what I myself envision, but the continental geographically is much more accurate.

Now don't misinterpret me here, as I understand completely that a mapper's interpretation of the continents in the 1920s and '30s was vastly different from modern satalite photos, nor am I talking about mangling the continent and moving everything around (ie, putting the Pictish Wilderness east of Aquilonia as opposed to its proper placement to the west of the Bossonian Marches).

All in all, it's a very worthwhile if inherently difficult goal, as I've seen it done with the Thurian continent of King Kull (granted REH never made any official Thurian Age map, but the point is the same). I don't know, maybe it's just my respect and admiration for REH and Conan, or the fact that if the Hyborian Age was a woman, I'd make sweet love to it (as corny and cliche as that phrase sounds).

Opinions, anyone?
"What is good in life?... To crush your enemy, see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -- Conan of Cimmeria

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ "Come and take them." -- Leonidas' reply when ordered by the Persian messenger to surrender his weapons before the Battle of the Thermopylae Pass.

Posted Image

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:44 PM

I say go for it!

The Hyborian Age has had plenty of maps made, but only recently have ones been based on close study of Howard's text, such as those by Dale Rippke, Deuce and Vincent. I recall a member here making a map based on ice-age geography, and it turned out pretty well. Any new interpretations are always good, better than stagnation anyway.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 Spartan198

Spartan198

Spartiatai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:42 AM

Great! The number one person I wanted to hear thoughts on this idea from! :lol:

*patiently waiting to hear from Dale, Ironhand, and a few other prominant members of this forum*
"What is good in life?... To crush your enemy, see him driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -- Conan of Cimmeria

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ~ "Come and take them." -- Leonidas' reply when ordered by the Persian messenger to surrender his weapons before the Battle of the Thermopylae Pass.

Posted Image

#4 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

You'll notice that the original map was probably traced over a Mercator (?) projection map of Europe.

I'd like to see some attention paid to actual mountains and river basins, mindful that they would have changed through various cataclysms, and that rivers and mountain ridges commonly form borders.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

#5 Spartan198

Spartan198

Spartiatai

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:15 AM

The only downside being that my map drawing skills suck... :(

Posted Image