94 replies to this topic

#1 CJH

CJH

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 08:30 PM

I think that it's pretty common knowledge that the majority of Conan fans felt that Conan the Destroyer was an inferior sequel, some so much so that they don't even acknowledge the existence of the movie as a part of the Conan universe. I also think that we'd all agree that the sidekicks and the sanitized PG feel of the movie are what made it an unworthy sequel.

I agree that it is a lesser movie, however, I don't feel that it is 100% bad. Therefore I started this topic to find out what other people thought were the good aspects of the movie. I felt that the score by Basil Poledouris was almost as good as his score for Conan the Barbarian. The other aspects that first come to mind that I liked about this movie are the opening scene where the Riders of Taramis are riding across the horizon. I like this opening sequence much more than the forging of the sword at the start of Conan the Barbarian. I also liked the temple of the Horn of Dagoth, especially the jewel encrusted chamber and the crypt inside the metallic monster's mouth. The last thing that comes to mind is the row of ruined statues that Conan and his party ride through immediately after leaving Shadizar. Without saying a word that added a lot of texture and a sense of antiquity and scope to the Hyborian Age that was playing out on the screen .

#2 Galen

Galen

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 June 2003 - 10:38 PM

I think you managed to get all of the good aspects into your post. Except for one--the movie was shorter!

;)

It's fairly common knowledge that Destroyer was made as a quick way to capitalize off of the box-office success of the first movie. This movie is nothing more or less than that. Personally, I also felt that Arnold was exploited more in Destroyer--they actually oiled him up for practically every scene, and he never wore clothing other than the fur diaper and the headband (the headband was to help keep his wig in place). Notice how much water-retention he had from the steroids he used to bulk back up for that movie (his muscles look too smooth, and you can see he has a little bit of a gut). Though he looks bigger, he doesn't look as good as he does in, say, Predator.

If anyone doesn't believe Destroyer was a quick rip-off, simply look to the special effects. In Barbarian, they actually went to some effort to make the effects look realistic (as much as they could back then, and on that kind of a budget), and not to film shots where the effects stood out as too fake. In Destroyer, you can plainly see things like the actor pushing his tongue out between the plastic lips of his gorilla mask, or how the ice castle is made of styrofoam when the pieces hit the ground, etc.

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 07:00 AM

Therefore I started this topic to find out what other people thought were the good aspects of the movie.

Sarah Douglas. :D
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 scifiguy

scifiguy

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 07:31 AM

Like the original post says, it ain't that good, but it ain't all bad, either (I'd rather sit thru three airings of "CTD" than one showing of "Red Sonja"). The F/X were completely sub-par compared to "CTB", however, the fight scenes were pretty well done and the musical score was good. The plot idea itself wasn't bad, but ultimately, it turned into a movie that showcased Arnie and capitalized on his popularity. Another difference between the two movies seems to be that "CTB" takes itself seriously while "CTD" seems to be almost tongue-in-cheek. Even the 'serious' moments are usually played with a sense of humor to them. :blink:

#5 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 10:43 AM

Destroyer - a perfect example of an inferior sequel - very true but I agree it does have its good points.

I was glad to see the return of Akiro the Wizard and even the inclusion of the picts in the story.
Even the character malak was interesting, almost Stan laurel in humour.. after all not all thieves are big and brawny, some must live on guile.
Grace jones wasnt bad either..

heres hoping we have a better sequel next time ... :unsure:

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#6 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 06:26 PM

The climatic scene where Conan is trying to tear the horn off the Sleeping God. Rain is coming down and lightning is flashing. It's a cool effect. B)

That's just about it... oh and Sarah Douglas too... :rolleyes:
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#7 Gorulga

Gorulga

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:51 AM

I liked the negro woman sidekick. The one with a staff that kicked Bombaata's ass. Also the fight between Conan and queen Taramis guard in the forest under the big rock. Arnold posing away.

#8 skeletorjr

skeletorjr

Overlord of the Undercooked

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 09:26 AM

Negro? Uhhhh, some may be offended by that particular term. :(

#9 alex

alex

Barbarian by birth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 03:49 PM

Taramis' captain of the guards is none other then Sven Ole Thorsen, who also played Thogrinn in CTB.

A good but brief moment in CTD occurs after Bombatta is killed. This was brought up by a fellow fan on another board and it's an opinion I share- First we are FINALLY rid of that headpiece Arnold wears throughout the film, then you have a great scene-the image of Arnold, sword in one hand, axe in the other, hair down and face bloodied, standing on the balcony just before he leaps onto Dagon. In that moment he really looks like Conan!
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king.

- "The Road of Kings"

#10 Gorulga

Gorulga

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, I like that scene on the balcony. He looks so freaky. His pecs are so HUGE

#11 Jacob33

Jacob33

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:41 PM

sarah douglas was great in conan the destroyer. I have a site on sarah at www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
Alot of her favorite scenes were cut for a PG rating. I have talked with sarah about the cut scenes.. she would like to see the cut scenes released on dvd. She also become good friends with Grace Jones. They are still friends to this day.

JACOB

#12 MAN-BRUTE

MAN-BRUTE

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 11:49 PM

You guys mention sarah Douglas. I take it that was the blonde. Yeah, I liked her too! She had an innocence that was begging to be soiled. MMMM, nice. :P Let`s hope Arnold gets to lay some babes of a similar high quality in the new one, eh?

#13 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 12:22 AM

You guys mention sarah Douglas. I take it that was the blonde. Yeah, I liked her too! She had an innocence that was begging to be soiled. MMMM, nice. :P

Sorry to correct you. Sarsh Douglas played Queen Taramis in the film.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#14 Hawklord

Hawklord

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:17 AM

The blonde was Olivia D'Abo. Oooh, Princess Squishy-Lips!!! :) :)

The part I really like was in the beginning. The dialogue at the desert altar; something like: (as guards ride up and surround them)
Malak: I think we made the merchant mad!
Conan: Are you surprised?
Malak: We didn't steal everything he had!
Conan: We didn't have time! :D

Also interesting was when Zula tries to join, and ends up fighting Bombatta. It looked like Wilt was using a baseball bat stance with his sword. :P

I've also heard that Grace Jones injured a lot of stuntmen during filming.

#15 sithlord

sithlord

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 02:07 AM

i would have to say one of my favorite scenes is gotta be conan drunk as a skunk showing whats her name how to fight. "if your gonna learn how to fight, learn with a real weapon not a toothpick."
Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars. And thither came Conan, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth beneath his sandaled feet. And know yet further, O Prince, that in that half-forgotten age, the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming West. And this same Conan ruled from the throne of Aquilonia as Conan the Great, the mightiest lord of his day. And many were the tales spun about him as he was in his youth, wherefore it is now difficult to perceive the truth amid the many legends.

The Nemedian Chronicles

#16 Jacob33

Jacob33

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 11:21 PM

Sarah Douglas played Ursa in Superman 2.. She is no blonde!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
see for yourself.

there is a conan the destroyer se from region 2-4.. there is a commentary track by the director, the blonde, and tracey walters.

JACOB

#17 Donnchadh Aravanta

Donnchadh Aravanta

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 04:01 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forums and just getting into the wider world of Conan, having come to it from the movies. :D

I don't remember Picts in Conan the Destroyer, does anyone want to elaborate more on where and when?

Many thanks!

I thought both Queen Taramis and the character played by Olivia D'Abo (though I can't remember her name) were nice inclusions, in a purely watchable way. :rolleyes:

#18 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:28 PM

Sarah Douglas played Ursa in Superman 2.. She is no blonde!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas
see for yourself.

JACOB

Yes, I admit I was drooling over Olivia D'Abo, not Sarah Douglas. I stand corrected.

Olivia d'Abo
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#19 budgie

budgie

craven idol maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 05:47 PM

Hi, I'm new to the forums and just getting into the wider world of Conan, having come to it from the movies.  :D

I don't remember Picts in Conan the Destroyer, does anyone want to elaborate more on where and when?

Many thanks!

Donnchadh,

This thread got me watching Destroyer again last night :o

The Picts are the ones who have captured and are about to eat Akiro the wizard.. those little painted, stocky blokes..

Although it doesnt mention them by name in the movie I base it on thier look as per Mr Howards stories.. I have the novelisation of the film but aint read it so I'm not sure if they're named in that or not..

by the way, your signature.. sounds Gaelic? Whats it mean?

budgie
Posted Image Posted Image

Electric Scotland.com - For everything about Scotland online
Scifi Scotland - For everything about me and what Im into!!

#20 Donnchadh Aravanta

Donnchadh Aravanta

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 06:33 PM

Ah, I remember those guys! :D

My name? Ah, well the first bit is gaelic for 'dark/brown warrior/chief' and the second is actually Quenya :P (Elvish) for something akin to "Walks with the Dawn".

In truth I was pretty stuck for a name. :)

Back on topic to a degree, did any of the other cast members of CtD appear in any other fantasy stuff. I remember Akiro being Mako (if I recall correctly) in Highlander 3.