DROC

#22 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

I quite like Dolph Lundgren's voice for Conan. It has the appropriate depth for a big man. Maybe he could even play a decent older Conan now.

#23 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

He looked quite good in the Expendables. His face is sharpened with age.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#24 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

I quite like Dolph Lundgren's voice for Conan. It has the appropriate depth for a big man. Maybe he could even play a decent older Conan now.

I agree. Id imagine Conan sounding something like Dolph, maybe with a thicker accent.

dont know if anybody has mentioned this but Conan must have been quite a linguist, having to learn the languages of all the countries he travelled in.

#25 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:50 PM

I agree. Id imagine Conan sounding something like Dolph, maybe with a thicker accent.

dont know if anybody has mentioned this but Conan must have been quite a linguist, having to learn the languages of all the countries he travelled in.

There's a thread around here somewhere that lists all/most of the languages he spoke with references from the various stories. There were over 20 if I remember.

DROC

#26 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

There's a thread around here somewhere that lists all/most of the languages he spoke with references from the various stories. There were over 20 if I remember.

DROC

I tried using the search function for a conan languages thread but couldnt find it. can anybody help me out?
thx.

#27 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Try this one, nested inside the Chronicles of Conan thread:
http://www.conan.com...ndpost&p=174133

Searching under linguistics, one finds:
http://www.conan.com...=1

Enjoy!

#28 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

He looked quite good in the Expendables. His face is sharpened with age.

The way he's looked in some of his more recent films is quite similar to how some of the Dark Horse
comics portray an older conan.

Had he not played He-Man in the 80's maybe he could have got a shot at Conan when Arnold couldn't.

#29 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

A rough Texan drawl would probably be the closest accent as it was originally written, what with REH's penchant for narrating as he typed!

Any ideas as to what the Cimmerian's "barbarous accent" would be are pure speculation, but we can have some informed choices. Since the Irish & Scots are descendants of pure-blooded Cimmerians according to Howard, an Irish or Scottish accent might close to a Cimmerian accent. The American accents, being influenced by Irish & Scottish, could be close too. Of course, even those accents have changed and evolved over the centuries, so there's no real answer.

Rather than a Texas drawl, how about an Appalacian accent? Those are hill people, directly descended from Scot and Irish immigrants. And it would leave all the UK accents free for use by Aquilonian characters.

Maybe use a Texas drawl for Gundermen.

I've recently been re-reading The Hour Of The Dragon and it says that Conan had an Aquilonian accent at that time. Which is interesting.

#30 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:31 AM

A rough Texan drawl would probably be the closest accent as it was originally written, what with REH's penchant for narrating as he typed!

Any ideas as to what the Cimmerian's "barbarous accent" would be are pure speculation, but we can have some informed choices. Since the Irish & Scots are descendants of pure-blooded Cimmerians according to Howard, an Irish or Scottish accent might close to a Cimmerian accent. The American accents, being influenced by Irish & Scottish, could be close too. Of course, even those accents have changed and evolved over the centuries, so there's no real answer.

Rather than a Texas drawl, how about an Appalacian accent? Those are hill people, directly descended from Scot and Irish immigrants. And it would leave all the UK accents free for use by Aquilonian characters.

Maybe use a Texas drawl for Gundermen.

I've recently been re-reading The Hour Of The Dragon and it says that Conan had an Aquilonian accent at that time. Which is interesting.

Actually I don't find this strange. There are people from all over the world, with all kind of native birth languages, who speak English with a British accent.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#31 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

You know that didn't actually occur to me. Although in Hour of The Dragon he's speaking to Nemedians. So one would assume he is speaking Nemedian with an Aquilonian accent. As opposed to speaking Aquilonian in an Aquilonian accent which would be obvious, well not obvious to me until just now lol.

#32 Amra_the_Lion

Amra_the_Lion

Free Companion Mercenary Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

You know that didn't actually occur to me. Although in Hour of The Dragon he's speaking to Nemedians. So one would assume he is speaking Nemedian with an Aquilonian accent. As opposed to speaking Aquilonian in an Aquilonian accent which would be obvious, well not obvious to me until just now lol.

I think that he learned Aquilonian first as a youth with Aquilonia bordering Cimmeria and having direct contact with Aquilonians at Venarium and other times.

?...but there?s strength in union ? that?s what the Aquilonian renegades used to tell us Cimmerians when they came into the hills to raise an army to invade their own country. But we fight by clans and tribes.? ?Red Nails

As Kortoso has said many times and I believe as well Aquilonian and Nemedian must be very similar to each other and when he learned Nemedian prior to The God in the Bowl he started speaking it with an accent from the Aquilonian that he already knew.

If life is an illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. Queen of the Black Coast 1934 Robert E. Howard

Amra's The Chronicles of Conan The Cimmerian: Determining the chronological order of Howard's Conan Tales

#33 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hello all,
I saw an old "Cheyenne" with Clint Walker recently in which he was forced to work. It showed him without a shirt working, sweaty, etc.. And on his fanbased website it showed pics of him working out, which he did regularly, his height and build, etc. So, with everyone wondering what Conan looked like, built like, talked like, I picture Clint Walker as the perfect Conan, both in build, face, and voice. And since Cimmeria on Howard's map overlays Scotland in the west and Denmark and part of Norway in the west, then he might have had an accent with maybe a mixture of Nordic and Celtic accent. Just food for thought!
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#34 croms warrior

croms warrior

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 02:59 AM

Whenever I read a conan novel, for some reason I always hear his voice sounding like the actor that did the voice-over for Steve reeves in the Hercules and Hercules unchained movies from the sixties. That voice over actor had a very booming voice and was an English accent but very deep. My father says that the voice over actor was an actor that appeared in the series time tunnel, but i've not been able to find any links. I'm interested to know if anybody feels the same way.

Croms warrior

#35 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

I remember Steve Reeves and that voice. Yes, impressive voice.
FB
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#36 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,138 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

DROC

I tried using the search function for a conan languages thread but couldnt find it. can anybody help me out?
thx.

Found it in 15 seconds. :)

http://www.conan.com...h=1

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#37 thatericn

thatericn

Grumpy Gunderman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Location:The vast, uncharted expanses of suburban Southern California

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Conan's voice? I think Sam Elliot would be a home run...
"Careful with that ax, Eugene"

#38 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:25 AM

Since we're only talking voice, I have a suggestion that will astound and outrage you: Peter Dinklage, with either a gaelic or American accent.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#39 thatericn

thatericn

Grumpy Gunderman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Location:The vast, uncharted expanses of suburban Southern California

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Since we're only talking voice, I have a suggestion that will astound and outrage you: Peter Dinklage, with either a gaelic or American accent.

A fine idea - size of the man does not always equate to size of the voice. Ronny James Dio, Thomas Quasthoff, etc...

Although I still think a Western American drawl would be great, and suit Cimmerians in the midst of European Hyborian accents...
"Careful with that ax, Eugene"

#40 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

This was inspired by my reading an old thread about how the name Conan is pronounced (compare to Duncan, Conner, very similar names; there's no way a person from a Celtic language group could possibly say it 'Ko-Nan') but got me thinking about something else:

I still can't quite imagine how Conan himself speaks. I have a 'Conan-voice' in my head, of course, deep and gruff as befits a drinking and fighting man; but in terms of his actual comparative accent in the world of Hyboria (as opposed to the poetical English tales that naturally use our own diction and styles). A Texan with a Scotch accent and a voice as deep as James Earl Jones defies my brain's ability to recreate. Anyone have any actors out there who sound like Conan or have an accent that might reflect proto-Gael?
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian