Conan's Voice.......

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_barbarian88_*

Guest_barbarian88_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:58 AM

In the "original" Robert E. Howard Conan The Cimmerian stories, what actual accent voice did Conan The Cimmerian himself actually speak in trully???????

#2 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:06 AM

Greetings!

In the "original" Robert E. Howard Conan The Cimmerian stories, what actual accent voice did Conan The Cimmerian himself actually speak in trully???????

Well,that's tough one,since it is a written word.I do *think* think that REH once said that he spoke [place the language here] in a 'barbaric' accent.So he own native tongue influenced they way he spoke.

Tu

#3 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

A rough Texan drawl would probably be the closest accent as it was originally written, what with REH's penchant for narrating as he typed!

Any ideas as to what the Cimmerian's "barbarous accent" would be are pure speculation, but we can have some informed choices. Since the Irish & Scots are descendants of pure-blooded Cimmerians according to Howard, an Irish or Scottish accent might close to a Cimmerian accent. The American accents, being influenced by Irish & Scottish, could be close too. Of course, even those accents have changed and evolved over the centuries, so there's no real answer.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#4 berserkmax

berserkmax

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:02 AM

A rough Texan drawl is my ideal accent for Conan, especially around other European individuals. There's nothing more barbaric to those blue blooded royalty folks than a rough Texas drawl.
"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priest and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content" (Howard--Queen of the Black Coast).

#5 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 06:23 AM

Hmmm , for some silly reason - the only Texan drawls I can conjure up off the top of my head are Reba Macintyre , & Ross Perot , I think either would be good for Conans voice... :D

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#6 berserkmax

berserkmax

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hmmm , for some silly reason - the only Texan drawls I can conjure up off the top of my head are Reba Macintyre , & Ross Perot , I think either would be good for Conans voice... :D

Now I'll never be able to read a Conan story the same way again. Thanks PB for bringing up Reba and Perot . . .
"Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate, the hot embrace of white arms, the mad exultation of battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. Let teachers and priest and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content" (Howard--Queen of the Black Coast).

#7 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

Now I'll never be able to read a Conan story the same way again. Thanks PB for bringing up Reba and Perot . . .

LOL! "Do you get my drift? Do you get my drift? Will you let me finish? Will you let me finish? Will.you let.me.finish???"
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#8 Hard Hero

Hard Hero

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:26 AM

I think the new game, "Age of Conan" has a great voice for Conan. Maybe just add a bit more gruffness would be better. Check it out, there's a link on the Conan.com site.

#9 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

A rough Texan drawl would probably be the closest accent as it was originally written, what with REH's penchant for narrating as he typed!

Any ideas as to what the Cimmerian's "barbarous accent" would be are pure speculation, but we can have some informed choices. Since the Irish & Scots are descendants of pure-blooded Cimmerians according to Howard, an Irish or Scottish accent might close to a Cimmerian accent. The American accents, being influenced by Irish & Scottish, could be close too. Of course, even those accents have changed and evolved over the centuries, so there's no real answer.

I imagine him having a sort of English accent similar to that of Leonidas in the 300 film. With a slight hint of a Scottish accent.
It's worth noting also that if the Cimmerians are the ancestors of the Scots & Irish then they would have been the ancestors of the British Celts
in general. My point being that before the Celtic language split off into the various Celtic languages of the British Isles, Gaelic, Welsh, Cornish etc there would have been a proto-Celtic or general Insular Celtic language and accent. Perhaps Conan would have spoken with that.

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,981 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:46 AM

Rather than a Texas drawl, how about an Appalacian accent? Those are hill people, directly descended from Scot and Irish immigrants. And it would leave all the UK accents free for use by Aquilonian characters.

Maybe use a Texas drawl for Gundermen.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#11 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

Paddy all the way, more Liam Neeson than Colin Farrell though :D

DROC

#12 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:31 PM

I imagine him having a sort of English accent similar to that of Leonidas in the 300 film. With a slight hint of a Scottish accent.

Gerry Butler is a Scot. :)

#13 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

I don't really think that REH would have intended to give Conan a Texan accent. Even if he narrated while he typed I don't think he would
have meant for that to have been any sort of official accent. After all he would have given all of the characters Texan accents
if he read out loud what he had written.

On another note. I think a Scottish or Irish accent for Conan would be as far removed as a modern day English accent would be for a Saxon.

I find it very interesting how English accents are used in films as sort of a neutral standard accent. Sometimes the same with American accents as well. I wonder if we'll see this in the new film.

#14 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

geordie. fact.
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#15 Stevewatto

Stevewatto

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Gerry Butler is a Scot. :)

Indeed, but he did tone it down a bit and brought it a bit more towards English. Although now that I watch a few
clips on Youtube just to be sure I see that it is not as much as I remember.

#16 SLAYERx78

SLAYERx78

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Rather than a Texas drawl, how about an Appalacian accent? Those are hill people, directly descended from Scot and Irish immigrants. And it would leave all the UK accents free for use by Aquilonian characters.

Maybe use a Texas drawl for Gundermen.

Considering that i was born and raised in the appalacian mountains of east Tennessee, i fully support this opinion!;)
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingaria with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a SLAYER, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

....."let me live deep while I live , know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate , the hot embrace of white arms , the mad exultation of battle when the blue-blades flame and crimson - and I am content. Let teachers priests and philosphers brood on questions of reality and illusion . I know this much ; if life is an illusion , then I am no less an illusion , and being so that illusion is real to ME .I live , I burn with life , I love , I SLAY , and I am content . "

#17 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Well, regardless of what Howard had in his ears while typing the Conan's lines, that's how he will (more or less) sound in the movie.

It's a kind of not a bad touch thet his voice sounds rough and broken a bit. The whole package is another subject.

Could he as a Cimmerian have some Irish kind of accent while speaking english. I believe he'd develop a strange mix of various accents from around the then known world from far north, through Russian or Slavic types, to some Mongolian or Indian (not Native American - India. you know, Sri Sai Conan baba parwardrinkwhoreraja... whatever).

Anyway, as far as voice concerns, regardless of the tone and timber, I'd say he'd pretty much sound like majority of people sound after a hard drinking and smoking nights with a lot of yelling and laughing.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#18 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

I remain with Sean Connery and Robert Shaw. :)

#19 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

I remain with Sean Connery and Robert Shaw. :)

I wouldn't argue with that. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#20 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Oh man... Robert Shaw is a good choice. I completelly forgot about him. Hmm... Lee Marvin also fits. Nick Chinlund also have a great voice. Maybe not so suitable for Conan,seems a bit too quiet speaking but very good voice.

Edited by Munthasem, 18 January 2011 - 12:14 AM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.