73 replies to this topic

#41 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

What will you do? Surround him with heaps and piles of broken, bloody bodies?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#42 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:58 AM

David at Bronze Age Miniatures has just released a new barbarian that would make a great Conan:

Posted Image

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#43 awesomeshotdude

awesomeshotdude

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

That looks pretty nice. I'm forced to admit that I'm not real keen on the helemt, but I like the pose and I'd like to see a nicely painted version so I could see all the detail brought out...
"Wow, this IS confusing! Uh, Mike, you wanna hand me my calculations?
Thank you. Well, look at that. "Hull breach, all die." Even had it
underlined." - Crow T. Robot, MST3K The Movie..Thanks Cy !

#44 miniken

miniken

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

Looks good, but I'm not sure about Bronze Age mini's. Sculpts look a little crude although a good paint job might prove me wrong. How to they compare with say Reaper or Tre Manor sculpts?

#45 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

I'll get pictures of the Bronze Age miniature posted when I have him finished; I think most of David's sculpts look even better painted.

Also, some new sculpts that a bit larger scale but awesome Conan style sculpts from Heavy Metal Minis:

Barbarian 2

Barbarian 1

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#46 miniken

miniken

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'll get pictures of the Bronze Age miniature posted when I have him finished; I think most of David's sculpts look even better painted.

Also, some new sculpts that a bit larger scale but awesome Conan style sculpts from Heavy Metal Minis:

Barbarian 2

Barbarian 1

The Heavy Metal figs are very cool. What scale are they? They are like a stylized version of Conan but that appeals to me.

#47 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 01:15 AM

Barbarian 2

Barbarian 1

The Heavy Metal figs are very cool. What scale are they? They are like a stylized version of Conan but that appeals to me.

They are about 50mm; larger than I work with usually but I had to get them.

#48 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

I got this several years ago from a company that is no longer around, but she was obviously meant to be Teegra from "Fire And Ice", so that's how I tried to paint her:

Posted Image

#49 malchya

malchya

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

Does anyone remember a Julie Guthrie Personality from about 20 years ago that was Arnold with the film sword in mail? Unfortunately I lost the figure while living in Alaska aboard my sloop, but that was always my favourite Conan figure. (Not that Arnold is my idea of Conan, mind you. But I did, do and always will LOVE the Atlantean sword....sigh)
"Your weapon play has not been exaggerated, but your craft has. You fool-to match wits with a viking!"

#50 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:06 AM

Does anyone remember a Julie Guthrie Personality from about 20 years ago that was Arnold with the film sword in mail? Unfortunately I lost the figure while living in Alaska aboard my sloop, but that was always my favourite Conan figure. (Not that Arnold is my idea of Conan, mind you. But I did, do and always will LOVE the Atlantean sword....sigh)

I went through an old Grenadier catalog and I couldn't find anything that fits that description - the only old miniature I can think of that fits is an old Ral Partha miniature called "The Cimmerian" that had the movie sword but not mail. I'll keep my eyes open though!

Well, I couldn't find this guy in the catalogs I looked at, but he is being produced by the current owner of the old Julie Guthrie Fantasy Personalities - is this the miniature you are talking about?

Grenadier Barbarian Prince

Edited by Primeval, 16 January 2010 - 11:38 AM.

#51 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thread seems a bit slow, so here is a female Stygian warrior I just finished:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#52 Hollywood Hogan

Hollywood Hogan

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Very nice paint job!

Hollywood
At my signal, unleash hell. - General Maximus

#53 awesomeshotdude

awesomeshotdude

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thread seems a bit slow, so here is a female Stygian warrior I just finished:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great paint work on this mini, Primeval! You've highlighted her nipples perfectly too :)
"Wow, this IS confusing! Uh, Mike, you wanna hand me my calculations?
Thank you. Well, look at that. "Hull breach, all die." Even had it
underlined." - Crow T. Robot, MST3K The Movie..Thanks Cy !

#54 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:51 AM

Thanks for the kind words guys - I enjoyed painting her. I am working on a Vanir warband at the moment for a contest - I'll make sure to show them when I can!

#55 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

This is the shamaness for the Vanir warband I mentioned; I didn't get the warriors finished yet but will post them when they are done. This is Yrsa The Accursed from Red Box Games - I picture her as the child of a mother who was a shamaness that sought power through congress with demons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:51 AM

David at Bronze Age Miniatures has just released a new barbarian that would make a great Conan:

Posted Image

Finished this guy, without the shield:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#57 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

This would make a great Conan or Kull seizing the crown! I ordered 2 - the kit has several options for weapons.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#58 Aesir-Jarl

Aesir-Jarl

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Posted Image

Here's a young Conan that I converted from various Wargames Factory miniatures.
"I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires."

#59 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Looks like an Irish kern, or a dark age Pict. B)

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#60 Aesir-Jarl

Aesir-Jarl

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:26 PM

Looks like an Irish kern, or a dark age Pict. B)

Yep, REH based the cimmerians around Dark Age Irish/Scots culture, so I wanted the figure to mirror that. I actually used the body of a Numidian, with the head and arms of an ancient German figure and then used sculpting putty to do the hair and the cloak.
"I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires."