73 replies to this topic

#1 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:32 AM

The "Some Great Reaper Miniatures" thread was getting a bit long, and the original title wasn't really reflective of the content since there were miniatures from all different manufacturers, so I thought I'd start a new thread with a title that will hopefully be more self-explanatory and accurate. I hope people will feel free to share their own work as well as pointing out new releases that might interest the rest of us!

To start off the new thread, here are my latest miniatures, done with the Hyborian Age in mind:

First is Andraste, Brythunian Warrior-Queen. She was done for a client and is from Dark Sword Miniatures
Posted Image

Second is Vigdis, Aesir Battle-Maiden. She was done for the same client and is also from Dark Sword Miniatures
Posted Image

And third is a (very) work in progress shot of a tribute to the Frazetta cover to Conan The Conqueror, done with a female barbarian
Posted Image

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#2 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

Very nicely done, the "Conquerer" one looks promising. Female renditions of iconic Frazetta paintings seem to be a bit en vogue: first a female "Barbarian" painting homage, now a Conquerer one. A female "Destroyer" and "Snow Giants" would be nice too, and a female "Chained" would be interesting... if a bit Freudian. Not any more so than the original though. :P

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#3 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:53 AM

Thanks Taranaich. I didn't even originally plan on basing this on that Conan cover, but once I saw the pose of the generic blank that I used to create this I knew I had to!

I know there are other Tre Manor fans here, so I'm happy to share the news that he finally has his website up and running, with a couple of barbarians available:

Tre's miniatures

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#4 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:56 AM

Posted Image

Surely, that?s Conan?

But whoever it is, he?s got a wonderful expression!

Cheers,
Ant
My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#5 jpred67

jpred67

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Your posts have inspired me to participate instead of observe. I thought I would attempt to post some pics of minis that have been used in our Conan games. Seems like I am the only painter in all 3 groups though and it tends to hinder the drive to finish more, though my wife would say otherwise. :P

Posted Image

#6 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

Your posts have inspired me to participate instead of observe. I thought I would attempt to post some pics of minis that have been used in our Conan games. Seems like I am the only painter in all 3 groups though and it tends to hinder the drive to finish more, though my wife would say otherwise. :P

Posted Image

Nice painting! Who makes these? They kind of look like Foundry miniatures.

#7 jpred67

jpred67

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:51 AM

They are indeed Foundry.
Had to look high and low for a Shem figure that fit the Conan theme.

#8 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

I work part time at a Game & Hobby Distribution company, and I am currently uploading images of Reaper miniatures to our website for the catalog. Anyways, I've seen quite a few good miniatures here that would make great Hyborian figures. Such as this one...

Posted Image

And these..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Reaver, 15 August 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#9 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

I work part time at a Game & Hobby Distribution company, and I am currently uploading images of Reaper miniatures to our website for the catalog. Anyways, I've seen quite a few good miniatures here that would make great Hyborian figures. Such as this one...

Posted Image

Thanks for posting that one Reaver! He would make a great Aesir or Vanir warrior I think. He was also sculpted by Tre Manor (I posted his stuff above), who is probably my favorite sculptor at the moment. I just got my order of those first miniatures, and a couple of unreleased prototypes he has been holding for me - I will have to post pics later when I am home - some amazing barbarians!

Edit: Those snakemen look good too.

Edited by Primeval, 15 August 2008 - 07:31 PM.

#10 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

Found another one I like... :D

Posted Image

#11 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have that one on my table Reaver, very cool barbarian!

Here is an unreleased barbarian by Tre Manor, I have one of only about 36 made but his next batch of releases is supposed to include something very similar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Primeval, 06 October 2008 - 01:56 AM.

#12 Warduke

Warduke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 10:26 PM

Never played any of these miniature war games but I always liked the figures. Here's a set I wish I had.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I attempted to buy a few minis and paint them but right after the 4th attempt I thought to myself you know I'm really getting tired of ruining these things. They actually looked better unpainted then my half ass of an attempt to paint them. :(
Posted ImageCivilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Posted Image

#13 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:20 AM

That barbarian mammoth is one of the most impressive miniatures I have ever seen - the guy who did it is a great painter, and a Conan fan.
There are barbarians from many different companies in there and the mammoth is from a company called Forge World I believe.

He did a whole army that this mammoth is just a part of, it can be seen here:

Norse army

#14 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:25 AM

Wow! that is an outrageous piece of work!

#15 Crusader1

Crusader1

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

Very, very nice indeed !!

#16 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

And, finally, my painted versions of the miniatures sculpted by Tre above:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tre has some other barbarian miniatures available now that would also work well for Hyborian Age gaming - I'll post some pics of them as well.

#17 awesomeshotdude

awesomeshotdude

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

Tre has some other barbarian miniatures available now that would also work well for Hyborian Age gaming - I'll post some pics of them as well.

Some nice mini's there. I particulalry like his Bolverk mini, I might pick that one up soon.

Here is a pic of a barbarian mini I use in a couple of games I play on occassion.

Posted Image

Edited by awesomeshotdude, 25 June 2009 - 12:18 PM.

"Wow, this IS confusing! Uh, Mike, you wanna hand me my calculations?
Thank you. Well, look at that. "Hull breach, all die." Even had it
underlined." - Crow T. Robot, MST3K The Movie..Thanks Cy !

#18 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:26 PM

Some nice mini's there. I particulalry like his Bolverk mini, I might pick that one up soon.

Here is a pic of a barbarian mini I use in a couple of games I play on occassion.

Posted Image

That's a cool miniature and a great paintjob too - the skin looks great!

#19 Carmen

Carmen

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:50 AM

Those are all great- I LOVE that mammoth!
Here are a couple figures I have that remind me of Conan. The first is Drac Mac Syro, an oop Rackham Confrontation mini. The second is a Reaper figure I've converted by adding a sword and shield (where two big knives had been.)

Drac Mac Syro

Reaper barbarian

Edited by Carmen, 29 June 2009 - 12:54 AM.

"Parleyvoo Francais! Vive le Stockholm! Erin go Bragh!"

#20 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

Those are both great miniatures Carmen - nice work on them! I really like the conversion, looks better than the original.

I just finished a serpentman barbarian, he is pretty large, around 40mm tall, so I envision him as a champion leading his ophidian brethren against the hated humans by his brute force!

Posted Image

Posted Image