3326 replies to this topic

#2421 Kathulos_Lives

Kathulos_Lives

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

Reading 'Desert of Souls' by Howard Andrew Jones. I'm hoping the pace picks up soon, it's a little slow moving for my taste.

#2422 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Just finished book one of the GOR series, and moving into book 2

...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#2423 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I have just finished Kronos by Guy Adams – The official new adaptation of Brian Clements classic Hammer film. The novel takes the unusual route of having each chapter narrated by a different character which I found a little jarring at first, though it did grow on me. Adams’ book sticks reasonably close to the plot of the film so there were few surprises but I found it an entertaining read all the same. The characters and relationship between Grost and Kronos are fleshed out a little more and some ideas that Clements couldn’t realise in the film are included. The setting which was rather vague in the movie is firmly established as Cromwellian England, Kronos having apparently served in Ireland which I found a little strange, given his obviously Germanic accent. The revised time period and back story are all wrong and didn’t sit well with me.
I’m rather dubious about the merit of film tie-ins but being a Hammer adaptation I couldn’t resist and I found this to be better than I had expected. It made me eager to revisit the original movie and yearn for what could have been had it been the resounding success it deserved to be.
So I revisited the film Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter last night which has made me revaluate the new adaptation which doesn’t actually come close to capturing the genius of this masterpiece which has the rare quality of actually getting better with each viewing. There is the suggestion for example that Kronos who has survived a vampires bite without being turned is locked in an inner battle with the curse. Something I had missed previously but so had Adams.

Next up Twins Of Evil by Shaun Hutson.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#2424 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Reading 'Desert of Souls' by Howard Andrew Jones. I'm hoping the pace picks up soon, it's a little slow moving for my taste.

Stick with it. It does pick up (IMO).

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2425 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:52 PM

On a side note, im familiar with the GOR movie that came out back in the day...but i am surprised this franchise hasnt gotten more attention in the film and tv area ...up to book 5 in the Gor series by the way!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#2426 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

Im reading The Mensch with No Name, just about to finish it.

The episodes is in this second book is more connected with each other and more about Rider's main storyline. Which is an awesome read. It has been meaty 180+ pages so far. Not fast paced story that has no depth.

#2427 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I'm almost done reading Thongor and the Dragon City, by Lin Carter. A lot of people dismiss Thongor as a Conan Clone, but I find him more of a Tarzan/John Carter/Conan blend. Not nearly as good as Howard's work, but still entertaining old-school sword and sorcery. I will look for more Thongor in my travels around the used book stores.

I also have the Robert Adams edited "Barbarians" anthology on my reading table, always handy with a quick s&s tale when I need a fix. I will be starting "The Fortunes of Brak" next. This edition has some neat artwork by Douglas Beekman inside, and adds to the entertainment of reading this collection of short stories.

#2428 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Wrapped up RAGE OF THE BEHEMOTH last week. Started reading the anthology WARRIORS edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois. It has to be be better than SWORDS & DARK MAGIC which was awful.

Morgan
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#2429 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:10 AM

A Princess of Mars

John Carter talks like a gentleman but he is a complete badass. The way ERB writes about the different cultures of Mars takes you there so vividly.

#2430 Kathulos_Lives

Kathulos_Lives

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'm almost done reading Thongor and the Dragon City, by Lin Carter. A lot of people dismiss Thongor as a Conan Clone, but I find him more of a Tarzan/John Carter/Conan blend. Not nearly as good as Howard's work, but still entertaining old-school sword and sorcery. I will look for more Thongor in my travels around the used book stores.

I also have the Robert Adams edited "Barbarians" anthology on my reading table, always handy with a quick s&s tale when I need a fix. I will be starting "The Fortunes of Brak" next. This edition has some neat artwork by Douglas Beekman inside, and adds to the entertainment of reading this collection of short stories.

It's funny you mention Lin Carter, I just ordered several of his space opera in Belmont and Ace doubles. If you like 'Barbarians' you might also like the anthology 'Heroic Fantasy' edited by Gerald W. Page from DAW books. It's full of S&S goodness.

#2431 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

It's funny you mention Lin Carter, I just ordered several of his space opera in Belmont and Ace doubles. If you like 'Barbarians' you might also like the anthology 'Heroic Fantasy' edited by Gerald W. Page from DAW books. It's full of S&S goodness.

I am always on the lookout for old anthologies about s&s, thanks for the tip. I have several on my to buy list, like the first 4 Swords against Darkness, a few more Flashing Swords and 2 more Echoes of Valor. I love that old-school s&s in the short story format!

#2432 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:12 PM

I have just finished Twins Of Evil by Shaun Hutson – I have enjoyed Hutson’s early work in the past but this recent adaption of the Hammer Films classic is just plain dull and rather pointless reading when the far superior film it is based upon is freely available. Further adaptations of classic Hammer films are threatened which I will be avoiding from now on.

Now reading – Bubba Ho-tep by Joe R. Lansdale – A man who says he is Elvis battles ancient Egyptian forces of darkness in a home for the elderly. So far this is better than the film that was based upon it.

#2433 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

True Haunting by Edwin Becker. It's the scariest book I've ever read in my life. If you have a Kindle click on the right side for a free sample. Only a handful of stories have creeped me out and this one is number one on the FRIGHT list.

I just purchased it and will be reading it extensively for the next few days until finished and will give a review along with the other 77. It's really good. Edwin Becker was only 24 years old in 1971 and his wife pregnant when he bought this house. Rooms were so cold during summer he thought this was great and wouldn't need AC. The wife wouldn't go in the basement. Ed thought fresh paint would cure her of that..

Here's some info on it:

A REAL GHOST STORY THAT WILL HAUNT YOU!
"This is the story of a true haunting. It was the first ever filmed and televised by NBC in 1971. A young couple purchases a building that was built and occupied by a single family that refused to relinquish their hold, even after death. Investigated and verified by experts, this residence brought chaos to the lives of those who chose to reside there. Unlike a horror novel, this chronicles what a real ghostly experience would resemble. Long before the laws of disclosure, a young couple winds up in the midst of strange occurrences prior to the term 'paranormal' becoming a common description. Searching for help at time when supernatural events were a taboo subject and being ignored by the Church, sent them into a desperate search for any assistance.

Only a little known organization came to their aid. Author Tom Valentine, brought in a nationally known psychic, Joseph DeLouise, who then asked assistance of an exorcist from England, Reverend William Derl-Davis. Together, they gave their best effort at exorcising the multiple spirits inhabiting the building and disrupting the lives of the living. Events were filmed by NBC, who sent their most prominent Chicago journalist, Carole Simpson, to cover the event.

Follow a young couple with a newborn as they attempt to cope with inexplicable events, experience denial, plead for help from their Church, and step into the world of the paranormal. Understand why ghosts cannot be exorcised and a true example of their strong sense of domain, even after death. Learn what experts and gifted people did in a failed attempt to assist this desperate couple. There is no happy ending, as the young couple suffers emotionally, are physically threatened, have their pets terrorized, and eventually suffer financially by actually "giving" their building away. What was intended as a financial answer to their prayers became, instead, a curse to be abolished.

Posted Image

Edited by Richard, 14 March 2012 - 11:50 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#2434 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:45 AM

I have finished Bubba Ho-tep by Joe R. Lansdale – Is Elvis alive and taking one last shot at being a hero or is this the ramblings of a dying old impersonator who has lost his marbles? Either way this is a fabulous story.

I have also read Incident On And Off A Mountain Road by Joe R. Lansdale – A hair raising, helter-skelter ride into terror.

Both of these tales have been adapted by Don Coscarelli but they are still essential and better read.

Now reading - Ground Zero by F. Paul Wilson – The story of Repairman Jack and his battle with the otherness nears it’s thrilling conclusion.

#2435 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

I have just finished Twins Of Evil by Shaun Hutson – I have enjoyed Hutson’s early work in the past but this recent adaption of the Hammer Films classic is just plain dull and rather pointless reading when the far superior film it is based upon is freely available. Further adaptations of classic Hammer films are threatened which I will be avoiding from now on.

I didn't even know they were trying that.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2436 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I didn't even know they were trying that.

They didn't push them much,

#2437 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

I read Marnell's Light From the West a couple weeks ago. Considering the holiday in progress right now, it seemed apropos to mention. In addition, we know that REH was aware of the "Saints and Scholars" period in Erin.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2438 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Finished The Spider: Robot Titans of Gotham and that is probably the only dose of The Spider I'd ever need. Pretty shoddy writing, at best.

Started The History of the Runestaff omnibus (Hawkmoon novels) by Moorcock. I've only read Elric, and some have told me they prefer these stories over Elric.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2439 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Finished The Spider: Robot Titans of Gotham and that is probably the only dose of The Spider I'd ever need. Pretty shoddy writing, at best.

Started The History of the Runestaff omnibus (Hawkmoon novels) by Moorcock. I've only read Elric, and some have told me they prefer these stories over Elric.

The Runestaff books highlight Moorcock's strengths and weaknesses. Lots of alternate world hokum. He wrapped it up way to quick. I think the Runestaff books were among those that he would knock out on a weekend.

Morgan
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#2440 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

They don't start getting really racy until book 4 (Nomads of Gor).
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--