Photo

What Are You Reading Right Now?

• Please log in to reply
3350 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_xssurdinynexes_*

Guest_xssurdinynexes_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:50 AM

I'm about to dive into Bram Stoker's The Lair of the White Worm...uh, under the title The Garden of Fear. :rolleyes:

I've been wanting to read this for a long time, but hadn't found a copy of it 'til now. I hope it stands up to the long wait...

there is an incredible movie based on Liar of the White worm....one of the few horror flicks that really bothered me for awhile afterwards

#42 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:06 AM

Give your Heart to the Hawks is what I just started reading today.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#43 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:40 PM

I'm about to dive into Bram Stoker's The Lair of the White Worm...uh, under the title The Garden of Fear. :rolleyes:

I've been wanting to read this for a long time, but hadn't found a copy of it 'til now. I hope it stands up to the long wait...

there is an incredible movie based on Liar of the White worm....one of the few horror flicks that really bothered me for awhile afterwards

Are you talking about the one with Amanda Donahoe? Or is there another one I need to seek and see?
Crom!

#44 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

I switched. Got the latest ish of The Strand and decided I'd read it.
Crom!

#45 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

I got bored with well at the worlds end.. will go back to it latter...

now I'm working on my Old English Vocabulary.. and reading the Anglo Saxon Chronicle at the same time..

#46 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

THE MASK OF THE SORCERER
by Darrell Schweitzer

SON OF MAN
by Robert Silverberg

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#47 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:24 AM

Taking a break from Bob's short story collections to give Elric another try. I had started it several times, but never could really get into it. But I shall endeavor to persevere this time. :D

#48 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

The Dark Knight Returns
by Frank Miller

and damn is it good. no idea how many times i've read this but i'm still blown away.

#49 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

Black Vulmea's Vengence.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#50 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 03:10 AM

"Thunder in the Mountains' by Lon Savage.

Re: late nineteenth century wars between West Virginia coal miners and coal company mercenaries. As bloody as it gets.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#51 Guest_xssurdinynexes_*

Guest_xssurdinynexes_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:34 AM

"Thunder in the Mountains' by Lon Savage.

Re: late nineteenth century wars between West Virginia coal miners and coal company mercenaries. As bloody as it gets.

I think there was a movie based on that novel also...I think it was called MATEWAN...its a very good flick

#52 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:44 AM

THE MASK OF THE SORCERER
by Darrell Schweitzer

SON OF MAN
by Robert Silverberg

"Sorcerer" is a very good book. Apparently, Schweitzer took a Conan novel he'd written for Tor (that was rejected) and completely rewrote it. I don't know how good of a Conan novel it would've been, but it's a GREAT Sekhenre novel. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#53 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:59 AM

Wolfshead.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#54 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 05:27 AM

Reading this at the time...

http://www.amazon.co...u...3391&sr=8-1

Definitely a worthy read, I learned a lot even though I have a solid European history culture. I recommend it for the sake of a decent read and plenty of information about why Europe is the way she is now.

#55 Doug

Doug

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

THE MASK OF THE SORCERER
by Darrell Schweitzer

SON OF MAN
by Robert Silverberg

"Sorcerer" is a very good book. Apparently, Schweitzer took a Conan novel he'd written for Tor (that was rejected) and completely rewrote it. I don't know how good of a Conan novel it would've been, but it's a GREAT Sekhenre novel. :)

That's interesting!Conan novel though.
I CAN imagine it being a novel set in REH's Stygia though!!
Mask is told in 1st person point of view by the young Sekenre are he becomes a Sorcerer.
The culture is a tiny bit like Egyptwith (IMHO) a smidgen of old Russia.

I've also started Schweitzer's "We are all Legends"!
This is also a fantastic read.
I'm a huge fan of Stephen Fabian since the middle 1970's.
So the Fabian illustrations in Legends are a huge treat for me.
These are also the very first Schweitzer stories I've read since I read some early stories in "Swords against Darkness" oh so many many years ago

take care.
Doug

A BUCKEYE ABROAD

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed a while, Then I'll rise and fight with you again

http://uncledougsbunkerofhorror.blogspot.de/

http://weirdtalesmagazine.com/about/

#56 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

Right now I am rereading The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan, the first book of the Wheel of Time. I'm impressed with not only the depth of his worldbuilding, but the precision of his foreshadowing. Despite the slowness of some of the later books, much of what he sets up pays off in some fashion or another.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#57 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Skullface.
Posted Image

#58 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

Back to Bram Stoker's The Lair of the White Worm...uh, The Garden of Fear. :rolleyes:
Crom!

#59 Hawklord

Hawklord

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

Conan the Relentless by Roland Green (down to about half a dozen of the last 24 of the Tor pastiches) and I just bought the first eight of Andre Norton's 'Witchworld' series and am still early on in the first book, Witchworld

#60 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

The Voice of El-Lil.
Posted Image