3326 replies to this topic

#2441 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Im reading Devil all the Time by Donald Ray Pollock. Which is a noir novel about two poor rural communities. A well written book that have many desperate,sick low lifes characters. Its like a contemporary Jim Thompson in Winter's Bone type setting.

#2442 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

Imaro
Charles Saunders

#2443 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I just finished the scariest true story called True Haunting by Edwin Becker. Ed and his pregnant wife in 1971 bought a two story house. It was so cold in summer that AC wasn't needed. The stove in the basement always smelled like burning logs. Breezes would blow curtains even though no windows were open.

I give this book my highest recommendation. Please give it a try and look at Ed's website www.edwin.becker.com. If you have a Kindle you can download a FREE SAMPLE which is about one chapter. I did and couldn't stop reading. Four people died in that house per the next door neighbor who Ed got to know.

A REAL GHOST STORY THAT WILL HAUNT YOU!
"This is the story of a true haunting. It was the first ever filmed and televised by NBC in 1971. A young couple purchases a building that was built and occupied by a single family that refused to relinquish their hold, even after death. Investigated and verified by experts, this residence brought chaos to the lives of those who chose to reside there. Unlike a horror novel, this chronicles what a real ghostly experience would resemble. Long before the laws of disclosure, a young couple winds up in the midst of strange occurrences prior to the term 'paranormal' becoming a common description. Searching for help at time when supernatural events were a taboo subject and being ignored by the Church, sent them into a desperate search for any assistance.

Only a little known organization came to their aid. Author Tom Valentine, brought in a nationally known psychic, Joseph DeLouise, who then asked assistance of an exorcist from England, Reverend William Derl-Davis. Together, they gave their best effort at exorcising the multiple spirits inhabiting the building and disrupting the lives of the living. Events were filmed by NBC, who sent their most prominent Chicago journalist, Carole Simpson, to cover the event. This is on youtube, too. On Youtube at 1min 45-48 seconds there some movement behind that glass door. Something is there!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aKrxGjZZBg
o.
Posted Image

Edited by Richard, 18 March 2012 - 07:50 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#2444 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm reading Pirates of Venus by ERB.

Also 'Married to the Bin Laden's by Carmen Bin Laden (although I 'm sure no one here wants to know about that.)

also recently finished a nice little 'alternate view of history/ conspiracy theory/UFO version of history book called THE GODS OF EDEN By William Bramley, a fairly ecclectic mix you may say.

#2445 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Monster Hunter Vendetta, by Larry Correia. Owen Z. Pitt, former accountant turned Monster Hunter, is back. This time he's being targeted by a cult of Old One worshippers angry about his victory over their side in the first book.

Why is this a great book? This is the kind of book which has a chupacabra hunt, a fight with an evil sorcerer and a zombie attack, all in the first chapter. And this book had me laughing like a madman no less than four times during the course of the story.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#2446 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Monster Hunter Vendetta, by Larry Correia. Owen Z. Pitt, former accountant turned Monster Hunter, is back. This time he's being targeted by a cult of Old One worshippers angry about his victory over their side in the first book.

I really enjoyed the first and will try to get to this one soon. I would recommend him to all.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#2447 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:14 AM

Mars Trilogy, by Edgar Rice Burroughs. But of course. B)
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

#2448 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'm reading "The Erevis Cale" trilogy by Paul S. Kemp, not too shabby!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#2449 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

Kemp has a sword and sorcery novel coming out this summer, The Hammer and the Blade.

#2450 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Kemp has a sword and sorcery novel coming out this summer, The Hammer and the Blade.

Yeah, so far i like his stuff...this is my first excursion into his worlds!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#2451 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken.

Not a very well written book it must be said, particularly his huge leaps of logic.

I'm very interested in the 'ancient aliens' theories, not that I think I believe any of it, but there are some very weird and unexplained discoveries from our distant past that make you go 'ooh, that really should exist'. The television series also called Ancient Aliens is into it's fourth series so I guess quite a few people are interested!

I'd love it to all be true :D
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#2452 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

I have finished - Ground Zero by F. Paul Wilson – Startling revelations are made about 9/11. As this remarkable series nears it’s conclusion I am finding each remaining novel totally gripping.

Now reading Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia – The sequel to Correia’s two fisted, guns blazing, pulp fiction thrill ride appears to be even more gore soaked fun.

Edited by Dark Mark, 28 March 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#2453 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Started The History of the Runestaff omnibus (Hawkmoon novels) by Moorcock. I've only read Elric, and some have told me they prefer these stories over Elric.

The Runestaff books highlight Moorcock's strengths and weaknesses. Lots of alternate world hokum. He wrapped it up way to quick. I think the Runestaff books were among those that he would knock out on a weekend.

I'm enjoying it so far. Action took a while to get going, but it does have a different tone from Elric. I've heard the follow-on trilogy has a lot of Multiverse going on. I'll see how much hokum these original tales have. ;)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2454 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Started The History of the Runestaff omnibus (Hawkmoon novels) by Moorcock. I've only read Elric, and some have told me they prefer these stories over Elric.

The Runestaff books highlight Moorcock's strengths and weaknesses. Lots of alternate world hokum. He wrapped it up way to quick. I think the Runestaff books were among those that he would knock out on a weekend.

I'm enjoying it so far. Action took a while to get going, but it does have a different tone from Elric. I've heard the follow-on trilogy has a lot of Multiverse going on. I'll see how much hokum these original tales have. ;)

I think they're more "fun" than most of the other Multiverse books, almost certainly the least dark. The sequel trilogy is more in line with other Eternal Champion books tone-wise and the final volume Quest For Tanelorn could almost be considered the grand finale of the EC cycle.

#2455 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

It's been a a while since I read almost all of Moorcocks Eternal Champion books. Dorian Hawkmoon would be my favourite aspect of the Eternal Champion after Elric and I loved the parody of England with it's mask wearing madmen. "Death To Life!"

#2456 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Banished by Edwin Becker. Just finished 13 Chilling Tales. He's outstanding!

A DEMONIC PAGE TURNER!
Father Thomas Garrity is a Catholic priest who unexpectedly comes face to face with a horrific demon. Through fate or demonic manipulation, he winds up substituting for a prison chaplain who mysteriously committed suicide and was counseling a serial killer condemned on death row. Garrity meets with the convict, who at first is mute, and then becomes all too talkative, claiming to be a demon. A naïve Father Garrity assumes he is dealing with a schizophrenic. Truly possessed by the demon Furfur, the inmate begins his attack on Father Garrity. As all Catholic priests, Garrity is uneducated and unskilled at confronting the supernatural, much less a demon. This demon is intent on destroying Garity's faith in God through any means possible. The one problem is that this ""inmate"" will be executed in a week, so time is of the essence.

Posted Image
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#2457 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Mask of the Sun, by Fred Saberhagen. Time-travelling Incas vs. Aztecs, as only Saberhagen could tell it.

#2458 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Went to see my daughter at university, and hit up the local used book shops while there for the weekend. Scored a few good ones; Fargo #2 Panama Gold, Sword in the Storm by David Gemmell, the first 2 books of The Danans by Keith Taylor, Rogue Sword by Poul Anderson, Red Sonja #4 by Smith and Tierney. But the treasure of the lot was The book of Robert E. Howard, Vol 1, edited by Glenn Lord. This is the one I will be reading first. Oh yeah, the total investment for all the books was $20.16! This store prices used books based on condition alone, not "collectible value" or rarity. This store will see plenty of support from me.

Edited by thedarkman, 02 April 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#2459 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Taking a break from The History of the Runestaff omnibus to read some short stories. Read a few on my Kindle, and also reading some (Silver) John stories from the Paizo edition of Who Fears the Devil? by Manly Wade Wellman.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2460 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

The Outlaws of Mars, by Otis Adelbert Kline. Some Sword & Planet by ERBs earliest competitor. Jerry Morgan is sent to Mars by his uncle, the mysterious Dr. Morgan who features in so many of OAK's novels. It's not bad --- there's some very exciting scenes --- but there's a nagging feeling that it's just not as good as it could be. His Mars never feels as exotic as ERB's. The strange wildlife aside, Morgan could just be in some foreign country, not on another planet. And the fact that the ethnicities of Mars are pretty much the same as on Earth is not only lazy, it sometimes feels borderline racist at times. Plus there's a really strange mistake where the name of a location, the "Heights of Lokar", is switched for "Zokar". It happens so many times I have no idea what the name of the place actually is. I don't know if this was an error from the original or cropped up in the Planet Stories edition I read. But as I said, not bad, just not great either.