3357 replies to this topic

#1 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:15 PM

I just finished the third Harry Potter book last night (my wife convinced me to give them a try...and I'm enjoying them!). So, I was looking through my meager REH collection and realized I hadn't read Swords of Shahrazar yet! I have been remiss! So, me and Kirby O'Donnell will be sharing adventures for a few days now.

What are you reading right now?

#2 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:09 PM

I've read the first Harry Potter and enjoyed it. I have the last...uh, before she wrote the short story for charity, but haven't read it yet.

I'm currently reading The Incredible Adventures of Dennis Dorgan. And Swords of Shahrazar is on my near future list.
Crom!

#3 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:38 PM

"Dreadnaught: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War "

http://www.amazon.co...K...9867&sr=8-1

#4 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:47 PM

Abarat by Clive Barker

wonderfully imaginative, great characters, fantastic imagery. however, i'm 5/6ths of the way through and the protagonist has no real goal, she's just being flitted about by circumstance.

#5 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:19 AM

The Count of Monte Cristo

I recently "won" "Revolt in the Desert" by T E Lawrence on ebay. I've always loved the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" and knew that REH got his inspiration for El Borak from him (and from the Jimgrim stories by Talbot Mundy as well).
This past June I went to "Howard Days" in Cross Plains and saw the book in the Howard Museum as part of REH's library. I had to have it!

#6 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,194 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

The Count of Monte Cristo

I recently "won" "Revolt in the Desert" by T E Lawrence on ebay. I've always loved the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" and knew that REH got his inspiration for El Borak from him (and from the Jimgrim stories by Talbot Mundy as well).
This past June I went to "Howard Days" in Cross Plains and saw the book in the Howard Museum as part of REH's library. I had to have it!

Right on, Cap'n! I've got the first American edition. An excellent, influential book. :D BTW, Girasol is publishing Mundy's King -- of the Khyber Rifles in facsimile with ALL of the Joseph Clement Coll artwork. Woohoo!

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#7 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:26 AM

What are you reading right now?

Sharpe's Devil, by Bernard Cornwell. Highly recommend the Sharpe series.

Rusty

#8 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road.

A Walk In Ancient Rome by John T. Cullen.

The Del Rey Conans (again).

Cicero by Anthony Everitt.

Scott

#9 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:30 AM

I just finished Karl Edward Wagner's Dark Crusade. Great novel.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#10 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

Its good, but its also an Abridgment.. if you want the whole thing its called " Seven Pillars of Wisdom " and is about 600 pages longer than Revolt.. Just make sure its the 1922 oxford manuscript.. otherwise it could still be an abridgment.. Try and get a hold of his book ' The Mint ' as well.. its highly entertaining.

#11 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:49 AM

Dungeon Master's Guide 4th Edition

Players Handbook 4th Edition

Monster Manuel 4th Edition

My son wants to play Dungeons & Dragons, so I'm trying to learn fourth edition rules. Should be ready to sling some dice next weekend. B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#12 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:24 AM

My son wants to play Dungeons & Dragons, so I'm trying to learn fourth edition rules. Should be ready to sling some dice next weekend. B)

I've played a couple sessions of 4E. It's . . . different. Not so squishy at 1st level anymore :)

Scott

#13 sheets75

sheets75

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

I haven't much time for reading lately but I've been gradually picking at:

Jungle Tales of Tarzan, by ERB
Lorelei of the Red Mist, by Leigh Brackett
The Forbidden Territory, by Dennis Wheatley
Wolf of the Steppes, by Harold Lamb

#14 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'm envious... <_<

#15 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:14 PM

'Better Sex through Chemistry' ,

the sequel to 'Everything I need to Know I learned in Kindergarden'
titled " Everything I know , I Learned by Hunting the Smart Ones and Eating their Brains'

'Improvised Munitions for Fun And Profit'

"ABBA - The 'REAL' Untold Story ! "

damn , I lost ! I typed all of them of the top of my head with nothing but a grin , but the Abba one - that made me laugh !

Alack , I'm just enjoying a very slow savoring of the 2nd volume of collected Savage-Sword issues before I go and get volume3

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#16 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

Emperor: The Gates of Rome, by Conn Iggulden. Very entertaining start to a series about the rise of Gaius Julius Caesar.

Pirate, by Ted Bell. The name's Hawke, Alex Hawke. Hawke is an ex-Navy aristocrat, a descendant of a famous pirate and a freelance operative for the US and Britain. Snobbery with violence abounds. The previous books, Hawke and Assassin are also recommended.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#17 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:49 AM

Right now? A thread on the REH Forum called, ?What Are You Reading Right Now??

Oh... maybe I shouldn?t be so precise...

Cosmonaut Keep by Ken Macleod (guest speaker at our conference at the end of next month!).

Also making my way through HPL?s Necronomicon.

Cheers,
Ant
My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#18 Hawkbrother

Hawkbrother

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

Have been re-reading, after many years. ERB's Carson of Venus series. I know its not considered Burroughs' best work, but I found it very enjoyable. Richard Lupoff certainly didn't care for it in his bio of Burroughs,but I found it very readable.
Some have called Carson a "bungler" compared to ERB's other heroes, but the real difference is that he is an ordinary guy forced to cope in a totally exotic, barbaric world. He is not a trained fighting man like John Carter or a primeval beast-man like Tarzan. but he manages to survive and in the end of triumph. I am getting ready to go into volume 4 and have had no trouble staying interested. In fact, I find myself wishing Burroughs had done more stories set on the vast unknown planet of Amtor.
There is the sometimes almost too-obvious political satire abundant in these novels, where Burroughs takes on communism,Nazism,perfect utopian societies and so forth. And once again, he has a tribe where female dominance is the norm. Maybe its meant to be anti-feminist satire(remember he wrote at a time when women suffrage was a hot issue), but it is so heavyhanded,with its reversal of sex roles, that it could be read as anti-sexist satire.
On a totally different note, have read the first few chapters of Rhiana,by Michele Hauf. This is a story set in a medieval France of the 1430s but one that has dragons. Rhiana is a young woman who has power over dragons and I am looking forward to the rest of the story.
I won't put any spoilers about it , but will say that maybe because its the medieval setting she reminds me of Dark Agnes, despite her flame-red hair, which is how Jirel of Joiry is depicted. Thats another one I need to re-read,I may have that old pb still around.

Edited by Hawkbrother, 12 August 2008 - 03:03 PM.

#19 Guest_billy beach ball_*

Guest_billy beach ball_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:37 PM

The Secret History of The World by Johnathan Black, closely followed by Blackwater by Jeremy Scahill, about those lovely private mercenary forces used by our colonial cousins in Iraq. Away on holiday tomorrow, so good substantial stuff while my brain isn't being distracted by trivia such as work and whatnot.

#20 Guest_Baphomet_*

Guest_Baphomet_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

The Secret History of The World by Johnathan Black

Ah, yes! The worst book ever published! I cannot say that I have read it, really, as it is unreadable.