57 replies to this topic

#1 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

Something I've been toying with getting into is finding a Dark ages or early medieval era re-enactment group.. which is no small feet in the south.. plenty of Civil war groups, we even have a Stalingrad group.. but the only two groups I've found so far are " The Vikings!" whose closest existing chapter is in South Carolina and " The Society for Creative Anachronism " Which don't seem to be so much re-enactors as people training to get a job at Medieval Times or their local renaissance fair.. I find the level of emphasis placed on titles to be.. odd.. and the level of authenticity they require is extremely lax.. not as lax as a group of people at a LARP but still not even as stringent as the most lax of the European groups. I mean so long as you don't wear the wrong colored belt anything vaguely resembling something from 600ad to 1600ad seems to be acceptable.. of course its hard to tell due to the byzantine level of website design most of them employ.. Though I'm sure they are perfectly nice people, I just find it hard to take them seriously based on what little information they supply online.

So I suppose I'm asking if there is anyone here who is a member of a National level group which might have branches some where in the South east.. or especially north Georgia? Though even failing that, if anyone is a member of one and can direct me towards some good pages for period clothing patterns and the like?

Edited by rabbits, 19 August 2008 - 10:27 AM.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Sorry to hear about your predicament, rabbits. Hopefully, Kortoso (our resident expert), can help you out. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the introduction, Deuce. :)

I am a member of Regia Anglorum. This is a British-born group that covers your period of interest. We have chapters/local groups all around North America.
http://anglosaxonengland.net/rana/
The closest to you would be Danelaw:
http://web.tampabay....aw/<br /><br />Anyone else who is living in your area should be in touch with Danelaw, and you can conspire about forming your own local group in Georgia.

See you in Valhalla! :D

#4 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

Excellent.. However part of my interest in this is to meet new people who perhaps share more interests with me than simply having gone to high school with me.. and as you can I'm sure imagine It's a serious hindrance to meeting new people when your not a member of any clubs, don't attend school regularly and work in an office with only 3 other people who are all 20 years older than yourself... so I'm stuck with a few people from high school.. and while nothing wrong with them per say.. it would be nice to not have them all just go ' Huh?! ' every time you say something they don't understand..

But that is good to know that such a group exists and I appreciate the very fast replies!

Edited by rabbits, 19 August 2008 - 06:34 PM.

#5 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

Don't forget, there are REH fans in your neck of the woods who might be interested in getting together and forming a Hyborian "re"-enactment club.

Dragon Con is coming up, isn't it?
http://www.dragoncon.org/
Who's going???

#6 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

yeah Dragoncon is usually the end of september I think.. In all the time its been here I've never gone. although that dosen't look to change, as I work on weekends. Friday-monday..

ahh well. Hyborian re-enactors though is an interesting idea.

#7 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

yeah Dragoncon is usually the end of september I think.. In all the time its been here I've never gone. although that dosen't look to change, as I work on weekends. Friday-monday..

ahh well. Hyborian re-enactors though is an interesting idea.

Rabbits, just my two lunas, but every once in a while, it's good for a (workin') man's soul to tell The Man to **** off and go do what ya wanna do. I broke up with my (sexay) girlfriend (at the time; good riddance, now) to go to Howard Days 2006. LOTS of interesting people go to cons (and plenty of dorks :P ). Seriously, take a weekend off. The South has produced plenty of cool writers/fans, like John Maddox Roberts, Don Herron, Hank Reinhardt, KEW, Rusty Burke, Robert Adams, Gene Wolfe and Mark Finn (oh yeah, and Robert E. "frikkin' " Howard). :P

Git-r-done. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#8 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

I like the way you think.

It will be considered.. though it would give me the opportunity to try out my dread pirate Roberts costume. When I wore it to a Halloween party everyone thought I was Zorro..

#9 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:17 AM

I like the way you think.

It will be considered.. though it would give me the opportunity to try out my dread pirate Roberts costume. When I wore it to a Halloween party everyone thought I was Zorro..

Glad I could be a (possible) "positive" influence. :) Sounds like your costume needs some work. ;) Honestly, a costume is NOT required at most cons (don't let the Klingons tell ya different).

BTW, Roberts was bad-a$$. One o' the inspirations (IMO) for Black Vulmea. :)

#10 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:21 AM

Oh I know I don't need it.. but I think you are confused about the Dread Pirate Roberts I'm talking about.

#11 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Oh I know I don't need it.. but I think you are confused about the Dread Pirate Roberts I'm talking about.

Not confused, exactly. Mistaken. :)

http://en.wikipedia....holomew_Roberts

#12 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:37 AM

I'd love to go to Dragoncon, dressed as Lone Wolf and Cub. ;)
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#13 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

yes, thats a much better word.

See I didn't even know about the other guy until you said that and I looked him up. Learn something new every day.

#14 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

yes, thats a much better word.

See I didn't even know about the other guy until you said that and I looked him up. Learn something new every day.

THAT'S me "job" (paid in "virtual lunas"). ;) "AARGHHH!!!"

#15 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:33 AM

wha ...??? you want to start doing historical re-enacting & ya never heard of "a merry life and a short one " Black Bart ? :blink: - the '2nd' most succesful pirate ever , after that other Welsh guy , whatsisface , became g'uvner of Jamaica , drank hisself to death , been on a bunch of billboards , bunch of commercials , I think they named a 'soft-drink' or something after him , Captain , Captain....something or another Posted Image

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#16 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

I don't know anything more about pirates than what I've seen in those Johnny depp movies.. I've a tragic lack of interest in anything happening between say.. Agincourt and the Battle of St. Juan Hill.

#17 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

I don't know anything more about pirates than what I've seen in those Johnny depp movies.. I've a tragic lack of interest in anything happening between say.. Agincourt and the Battle of St. Juan Hill.

Next time they air it, you should check out the History Channels "The Real Pirates of the Caribbean". Fascinating stuff.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#18 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

This from the Olympics:

http://www.theonion....g_suit_may_give

;)

Also, the strangest Olympic story ever:

Eighteen-year-old Helen Stephens, nicknamed "Fulton Flash" after her birthplace of Fulton, Missouri, won the 100 m dash in the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, Germany. She visited Hitler's box and offered a handshake; Hitler groped her.

"He gets hold of my fanny," the Fulton Flash said, "and he begins to squeeze and pinch and hug me up, and he said, 'You're a true Aryan type. You should be running for Germany.'"

Then Hitler laid on the big offer: a weekend at his retreat in Berchtesgaden. She turned him down.

Side note: At the Olympics, Helen Stephens beat the reigning champ, Stanislawa Walasiewicz of Poland, and there were accusations that Helen was actually a man. After a genital inspection proved otherwise, the matter was dropped.

Walasiewicz, who subsequently changed her name to Stella Walsh, was killed in an armed robbery decades later. The autopsy showed that she actually had male genitalia (though she had both XX and XY pair of chromosomes). From that point on, she was often referred to as "Stella the Fella."

Edited by timeless, 21 August 2008 - 08:58 PM.

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#19 Sharn

Sharn

Hyborian Blue Iron Swordmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:03 AM

Well timeless, that's just keen...what the hell does that have to do with the thread subject?
- A long bow and a strong bow, and let the sky grow dark!
The cord to the nock, the shaft to the ear, and the king of
Koth for a mark -
- I remember, The dark woods, masking slopes of sombre
hills;
The grey clouds' leaden everlasting arch;
The dusky streams that flowed without a sound,
And the lone winds that whispered down the passes. -
(Cimmeria, REH)
- Every hour harms, it's the last one that kills -

#20 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

The reference to the 'fencing suit' should have been more obvious than 'keen.'

In addition, I thought that was an interesting enough historical anecdote to be shared without starting a new thread, as the Olympics were winding down. At least as relevant as pirates.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean