60 replies to this topic

#1 TheFreebooter

TheFreebooter

Warrior

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:46 AM

here is the latest cover image posted at darkhorse B)

Posted Image

http://darkhorse.com....php?sku=13-020

#2 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:59 AM

From the looks of it, that issue will have a story with Conan captured by Hyperboreans.

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#3 Wraith

Wraith

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:00 PM

From the looks of it, that issue will have a story with Conan captured by Hyperboreans.

Well, yeah. DHC's official solicitation info says:

A captive Conan is brought north in chains and learns just how far off the mark was his vision of Hyperborea as a land ?of gleaming cities, of riches, and wonders, and exotic women, who live lives of serenity and contemplation, in peace with all manner of bird and beast, from the lamb to the griffin and milk and honey flow in streams from the hills.?

#4 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:25 PM

Oops - I didn't read anything about it just looked at the picture. Sorry for stating the obvious. But at least my stupidity got you to make your first post. :D

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#5 Orkin

Orkin

Exterminator At Large

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:41 PM

REH described Hyperboreans as tall and lean ?methinks? so it's understandable to assume the fellow in the picture is one.
? ?When I can not stand alone, it will be time to die,? he mumbled, through mashed lips. ?But I?d like a flagon of wine.?
- Rogues in the House

-=The Free Companions=-
Hyborian re-enactment Yahoo group

#6 Wraith

Wraith

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:34 AM

Oops - I didn't read anything about it just looked at the picture. Sorry for stating the obvious. But at least my stupidity got you to make your first post.  :D

Yeah. I originally wanted to wait until my review of 'Conan #1' before I made my entrance, but I just couldn't resist here :D.

Oh well. I might just as well introduce myself here: I am a relative newcomer to Conan. Until recently, I had only seen the first film (though I've had the second one on video for years now) and read one of the old comics ('King Conan', I believe; something with a number of sorcerers who lured Conan to their towers to try and take him out one-by-one). I had always been kind of interested in the character and knew that there were countless novels and comics and other merchandise of him, but I never managed to actually buy one of those assets (or watch the second film).
Then, one day in early November, I read #17 of 'Star Wars Tales' (an anthology comic). The artwork in one of the stories in there peaked my interest. I googled up info about the artist - Cary Nord - and that way stumbled upon a glowing review of the underpriced 16-page 'Conan: The Legend'. As I said, I had always been interested in the character, and this seemed like a pretty good chance for me to finally satisfy my interest.
Well, what can I say? I had the comic imported, and from the moment I set my eyes upon the first page, I was hooked. A few days ago, I ordered a copy of Randomhouse's 'Coming of Conan' (I wanted to do it earlier, but it somehow hasn't been available to European sellers until recently), and the new 'Conan' is the second comics subscription of my life (the first one being all things 'Star Wars').
I have enjoyed lurking here since some time before I signed up, but will probably contribute to the board in the future by reviewing the comics (it shall be interesting, comparing the views of long-time, battle-hardened Conan veterans and, well, me) and maybe post some comments about Howard's original stories, when I finally get to read them.

To get back on topic: That cover is awesome, easily the best of the series up to now (excepting Nord's #0). If this one doesn't sell, nothing will.

#7 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 01:45 PM

Welcome to the hoard! :D
Please feel free to post any reviews that you feel like writing. We can always use them.
Also, please let us know how you feel about the original Howard stories. I'm always interested in the opinions of those who are reading them for the first time.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#8 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 09:05 AM

Conan #4
April 09, 2004
Dark Horse's orders for Conan #4 came in 8% higher than those for Conan #1, an extremely rare event that occurs only when the market response to a new title is much better than expected. Conan #1 sold out and was reprinted with a new cover; those copies are currently being sold through

http://www.icv2.com/.../news/4595.html

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#9 joepineapples

joepineapples

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:30 PM

good time to be a cimmerian.

#10 SonOfCimmeria

SonOfCimmeria

Wandering Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:40 PM

It has just recently ( well not really recently ) been a hope/fantasy of mine that Conan would become so popular he would smother out the rest of the market and set up a cult like devotion! :lol:

Well this is a start!

Until next time: Conan is my Role Model! :D
"SOMETHING STINKS"!!

#11 JimmyPSHayes

JimmyPSHayes

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:41 PM

SOOO many customers are picking up this book! I ordered twice as many #1 second prints as I did #1s and I'm almost out of those. I TRIPLED my numbers for #2 and sold out within a couple of days!

#12 joepineapples

joepineapples

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:47 PM

good time to be a cimmerian.

#13 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:58 PM

Dark Horse's orders for Conan #4 came in 8% higher than those for Conan #1, an extremely rare event that occurs only when the market response to a new title is much better than expected.  Conan #1 sold out and was reprinted with a new cover; those copies are currently being sold through

http://www.icv2.com/.../news/4595.html

Extremely rare, indeed!

Usually a well received new series will have a issue #4 preorder increase over #3, or even #2 if it's popular (preorders slip down each issue from 1 to 2 to 3, with an increase possible at #4, as retailers can now judge readers response from sales of #1).

For #4 to spike past #1 -- which was Dark Horse's biggest preorder success is a decade -- is huge news! :o B) :D

Congrats Kurt, Cary, Dave, and everyone at Dark Horse! You done good.
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#14 Kane1701

Kane1701

Cimmerian Wagon Salesman

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:34 PM

Done Good???!!! :P Man those guys are rocking out one of the best books in the biz right now. And for #4 to have higher numbers (preliminary) than #1 is bloody well amazing and its picking up steam! Which is great!!!!! :D Hey I mean this is the book that got me buying comics again! Thats saying something.....Its a testement to the quaility of work that KB, Nord and the rest of the team are doing....Carry on good sirs!! We the people are behind you!!
There comes a time in every man's life where he must decide to spit apon his hands, raise the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

#15 TroceroQuijas

TroceroQuijas

Infamous Heretic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 04:32 AM

swords up to Darkhorse for keeping it Howard real. swords up to all those who keep it that way and back down on bad imitations
"Maddened with the sight of victory, these wild peoples were like wounded tigers, feeling no wounds, and dying on their feet with their last gasp a snarl of fury"

#16 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:37 PM

Just wanted to express my pleasure at hearing the news. Congrats to all those at Dark Horse who are part of making the only comic that I now purchase on a regular basis. Lets hope that sales continue to grow and that we keep doing our part by letting as many people know about this excellent adaptation of Howard. :)
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#17 JacktheKnife

JacktheKnife

Spear Carrier

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:20 PM

Congrats indeed. I can't even remember last time I heard of a book increasing after it's first issue. So to Dark Horse, Kurt Busiek, Cary Nord, Dave Stewart, and everybody else involved with this book, give yourself a pat on the back. Job well done.

#18 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:06 PM

:) Congrats to Kurt, Cary and Dave! Thank you very much from one very happy Conan fan! :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#19 Zula

Zula

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

Hoo-ahh, Johhny. Let's hope that this series lasts an extra, extra, extra long time. It's been fat too long since a regular series of COnan was out on the shelves. Excelsior, Dog-Brothers!
If Woody had gone straight to the Snowhawk Clan, this would never have happened.

#20 TheFreebooter

TheFreebooter

Warrior

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

Man! I love that preview, this is the best comic I've ever seen. Conan the Gladiator! I can't wait until May 26th! :D

http://www.conan.com/f_issueIV.shtml