• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#1 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,031 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

Turns out, there's no "general purpose" thread for KEW on this forum (the "Kane" thread can be found here). I meant to post this thread as a "memorial tribute" to the man, thinking that today (the 15th) was the day of his passing (I've thought so for years). Turns out, I was two days late. To paraphrase Lemmy, "Wagner luck". Two days late and a bunch of never-written tales short. Still, exact anniversary or not, respects should be paid. So, in honor of Karl, I say grab some Tennessee-style barbecue, chase it with a malt (NOT the abomination called a "shake") and then wind down with a bottle of Jack. At least, that seems to be how Karl liked it. smile.gif

The official website: http://karledwardwagner.org

His friend, John Mayer's remembrances: http://www.popcultma...r/wagner01.html

Steve Tompkins' great essay-trilogy comparing Wagner with Leone:
http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1812
http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1844
http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=1889

Once again, here's the link to the "Kane only" thread here on the forum:

http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=1596

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:32 AM

........and the Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo....edwardwagnerdm/

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#3 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

I have Gods in Darkness(Nightshade), Midnight Sun(Nightshade), Bran Mak Morn: Legion from the Shadows(Zebra Books), and Conan: Road of Kings(Tor).

What about his horror, is it Mythos style horror? I heard Nightshade was doing a new volume or reprint of his horror but can't find any info on it. Anyone know about a new KEW horror book?

Gods in Darkness: The Complete Novels of Kane (Hardcover)
by Karl Edward Wagner (Author)
Hardcover: 528 pages
Publisher: Night Shade Books (May 1, 2002)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 189238924X
ISBN-13: 978-1892389244

Posted Image

The Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane (Hardcover)
Hardcover: 450 pages
Publisher: Night Shade Books (September 15, 2003)
ISBN-10: 1892389517
ISBN-13: 978-1892389510

Posted Image

Bran Mak Morn: Legion from the Shadows (Mass Market Paperback)
Mass Market Paperback
Publisher: Zebra Books; 1st edition (1976)
ISBN-10: 0890831777
ISBN-13: 978-0890831779

Posted Image

Conan: Road of Kings (Conan) (Mass Market Paperback)
Mass Market Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Tor Fantasy (October 14, 2001)
ISBN-10: 0765340208
ISBN-13: 978-0765340207

Posted Image

Edited by Hyborian Frog, 15 October 2008 - 04:01 PM.

#4 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

I have Gods in Darkness(Nightshade), Midnight Sun(Nightshade), Bran Mak Morn: Legion from the Shadows(Zebra Books), and Conan: Road of Kings(Tor).

What about his horror, is it Mythos style horror? I heard Nightshade was doing a new volume or reprint of his horror but can't find any info on it. Anyone know about a new KEW horror book?

At least one of the stories were Mythos - "Sticks", which shows up in Mythos anthologies. (and has some similar imagery as 'Blair Witch Project' - strange piles of sticks and stones in the woods ... though I doubt anyone on BWP actually read "Sticks".)

They weren't all mythos - in fact, I don't think alot were - but I've only read a few.

I have not heard of a horror collection coming, though it would be nice. His two TOR collections are really hard to find.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#5 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

The Stephen Jones edited horror anthologies often carry one of his stories. These are the easiest of his works to find these days.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#6 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

Sticks is in the Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos book I have from Arkham House. That is the only horror I have read by KEW.

Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos: Golden Anniversary Anthology (Hardcover)
by H. P. Lovecraft (Author), Divers Hands (Author), Jeffrey K. Potter (Illustrator)
Hardcover: 529 pages
Publisher: Arkham House Publishers; 1st edition (February 1990)
ISBN-10: 0870541595
ISBN-13: 978-0870541599

Posted Image

Edited by Hyborian Frog, 15 October 2008 - 03:54 PM.

#7 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:52 PM

I wouldn't call it "Mythos style", no. Some of his stories might fit comfortably within a Mythos (HPL's or one based on Manly Wade Wellman or Karl's own), but most of his horror stories are just exceptionally well-written horror stories, not defined by any sub-genre. Some are highly experimental, like "The River of Night's Dreaming," while others are fairly traditional, like "In the Pines." Personally, I think that the best of Karl's horror stories are the best of his work overall. Nothing against Kane, of course: some of those are among the finest heroic fantasies ever written. But his horror stories are amazing.

I haven't heard of anyone doing a reprint collection of his horror stories but I wish they would. I'd love to see a complete collection of all of them.

though I doubt anyone on BWP actually read "Sticks".)

Actually, I'm told that the people who wrote and produced BWP *do* acknowledge their indebtedness to "Sticks." Of course, it would have been nice if they'd done so in the film's credits.

Rusty

#8 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:56 PM

The Stephen Jones edited horror anthologies often carry one of his stories. These are the easiest of his works to find these days.

Yeah, I've been on the hunt for Mammoth Book of Werewolves and Mammoth Book of Vampires.

The more recent Mammoth Book of Monsters has ".220 Swift".

Oddly enough, Mammoth Book of Frankenstein has "Undertow", though that is a Kane story. It does deal with resurrecting the dead, so I guess it fits.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#9 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

What was the story about the creatures living in the kudzu? That was a good one.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#10 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

What was the story about the creatures living in the kudzu? That was a good one.

"Where Summer Ends", I think.

I have that as a stand alone chap book. A small press put it out a few years ago.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#11 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:30 PM

I've always liked "Shrapnel"; pretty much every story in Why Not You and I is excellent. Sadly, I don't have In a Lonely Place . . .

Best,

Scott

#12 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:05 PM

Haven't read much of his non S&S stuff, but I love his Kane stories and his REH pastiches. KEW is probably my second favorite writer, right up there with REH. I probably read Dark Crusade at least 5 times. Its really hard-core.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#13 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

I've always liked "Shrapnel"; pretty much every story in Why Not You and I is excellent. Sadly, I don't have In a Lonely Place . . .

Best,

Scott

Strap on your hauberk, go out and acquire a copy of IN A LONELY PLACE, in my opinion the best single volume of Wagner's work.
Sticks, In the Pines, Where the Summer Ends, The River of Night's Dreaming, and the magnificent .220 Swift.
So very, very few authors ever wrote such rich, skillfully constructed horror stories.

#14 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, that's a sweet collection, emerald. I bought a copy at a flea market for a quarter, the cover ripped off, meaning it was reported to the publishing company and destroyed and unsold. Karl never made any money off that one. I read it cover to cover several times in my teens but lost it, dammit.

'220 Swift' and 'Summer' and 'Pines' and 'Sticks' really stand out in my memory. Also, the conspiracy story about a medical researcher who discovers that we have had cures for most diseases for centuries but they are suppressed by a secret organization. That goes back to Karl's medical training, obviously. Also, I remember not liking that weird, kinky S & M one...what was that?
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#15 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:08 PM

Also, the conspiracy story about a medical researcher who discovers that we have had cures for most diseases for centuries but they are suppressed by a secret organization. That goes back to Karl's medical training, obviously.

That was "The Fourth Seal." After all that time in med school, internship, residency, Karl didn't have much use for doctors. More's the pity -- if he'd been more inclined to seek medical help he might still be with us. Emphasis on "might".

Also, I remember not liking that weird, kinky S & M one...what was that?

Hmm. You may be thinking of "The River of Night's Dreaming," one of Karl's experiments in "acid gothic."

Rusty

#16 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

Who administers KEW's literary estate? Does anyone know?

Scott

#17 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, Rusty, that's it. He cribbed the title from 'Rocky Horror.' Didn't it have a heroine who is escaping something and goes into the bay or a lake in a car and ends up in some nightmare sadomasochism place? Didn't like that one, gots to admit.

'In the Pines' was probably his 'sell-out' traditional tale, but I remember really enjoying it. And '220 Swift,' I learned with Deuce's guidance, was KEW's 'worms' tale and I devoured that.

Too bad it's difficult and expensive to find a copy 'Lonely Place.' I'd buy a trade PB or even hardcover. Oden's on to something, why can't we deluge whoever controls his estate with intent and interest? Would love to see an omnibus. (I could even suggest a wonderful editor with the initials 'R.B....') ;)
All that we see or seem

#18 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 06:55 PM

I have the hardcover Kane collection Midnight Sun, but I foolishly let the companion volume, Gods in Darkness, slip through my fingers. I have Bloodstone and Dark Crusade in paperback (with Frazetta covers), but Darkness Weaves still eludes me. I obtained his two Howard pastiches Road of Kings and Legion From the Shadows and I've read some of his horror stories in anthologies.

The Kane paperbacks are next to impossible to locate, though. Wagner fans hang onto them, and Frazetta fans would snatch them up for their covers. Baen Books republished the Frazetta covers in the early '90s and those are the only ones I've found. I wish some publisher would reissue them.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#19 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

I have the hardcover Kane collection Midnight Sun, but I foolishly let the companion volume, Gods in Darkness, slip through my fingers. I have Bloodstone and Dark Crusade in paperback (with Frazetta covers), but Darkness Weaves still eludes me. I obtained his two Howard pastiches Road of Kings and Legion From the Shadows and I've read some of his horror stories in anthologies.

The Kane paperbacks are next to impossible to locate, though. Wagner fans hang onto them, and Frazetta fans would snatch them up for their covers. Baen Books republished the Frazetta covers in the early '90s and those are the only ones I've found. I wish some publisher would reissue them.

You can still obtain used copies on Amazon and Alibris relatively inexpensively.

http://www.amazon.co...s...p;x=16&y=14

http://www.alibris.c...=...x=20&hs.y=9
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#20 Maelstrom

Maelstrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

I recently got most of KEW's Kane paperbacks and have finished "Bloodstone" and just yesterday I completed "Dark Crusade". Is it just me or did Dark Crusade meander into an abrupt halt? These are the only works by KEW that I have read so far, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed...these books have been recommended to me and hyped up quite a bit. Perhaps I was expecting too much...So my question is (to all KEW fans) does the Kane series get any better? I also recently bought "The Road of Kings", but have yet to start it. KEW does seem to have a nice prose style, (which echoes REH) it's just that I don't feel that his plot structure is that great. I'm not saying that these were not good reads, it's just that I thought they would be much better...

Alright, start casting your stones at me now.