Posted Image

#2 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

members, i am sorry the glare makes them look so bad, i tried about 3-4 times! but here they are , they are all very good or better with djs--i know guys are going to say they are decamp/carter edited and all the negative stuff but these are still among my favorites--i was a big howard collector since i was nine years old [centuries ago]---that's me in my pajamas this morning---i hope you enjoy these, i am putting them back in the garage---deuce has got my howeard blood flowing again!----ralph g

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:43 PM

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. Did you collect these back in the 50s when they were released? Do they have any interior illustrations?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

jeez, i just put them back in the box! i think not [illustrations[ maybe a cover page--will check again tomorrow---i got these in the late 1960's , early 1970's ----some for 40 dollars , 3 for under 5 dollars---i am embarassed how bad the photos came out because are truly in beautiful conditon[ at over 50 years of age myself the books are in better shape than i:)}--i am currently getting the delrey for correct howard [unedited]--i have 3 wagners [hcs] that i think are pretty unedited as well---ralph g

#5 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:33 PM

Don't go to any troble on my account. So, did you become a fan through the Lancers, then?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#6 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

i think so as i still have some lancers floating around---but tmy comic dealer in brooklyn sold pulps and turned me on to tarzan, johnny carte and then howard---ralph g

#7 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:36 PM

TALES OF CONAN COVER is my favorite [sword and reverse grip dagger] wolfish, snarling, athletic , ready to spring into action like a panther----ralph g

#8 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

jeez, i just put them back in the box! i think not [illustrations[ maybe a cover page--will check again tomorrow

Don't dig 'em out again, Ralph, they're not illustrated. I've got mine right here on the shelf. The only illos are on the dustjackets.

Rusty

#9 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:32 AM

rusty, i saw the post too late--i went down and got them out again--no illus---ralph g

#10 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:39 AM

ralph - those are very collectible and wonderful editions. I would keep them on the shelf indoors and not in the garage if you have the space. :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#11 Charon of Styx

Charon of Styx

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:11 AM

These hardbacks are my personal favorite also. Once every year or so I get a urge to read the early Conan stories and I grab these Gnome books off my shelf everytime. True I could read the paperbacks or some other new print, but there is something about these books to me that causes my sense of adventure to raise. I even bought extra copies to read so I would not damage my nice ones.

Charon

#12 evisceratedmemories

evisceratedmemories

One who walked alone!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

I saw a couple REH books similar to those in a huge oversized format at my local used bookstore...the price for them was $65.00 a piece...you think they are worth my money considering i have reprints of like every REH story known to man?
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#13 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

I used to have collectors fever as a kid myself , till I started thinking it might be a symptom of O.C.D. & had a lot of other things that required my time , money & patience . I'd say forget about paying that much for them , unless you have strong nostalgic feelings for those particular versions , or are a completist . In which case - good luck to you on your stomache-aching 'never-ending quest' because you prob. never will find an orig. copy of SkullFace & Others or a complete run of the Weird Tales unless you're decadently wealthy & don't mind spending ridiculous amounts for words you already have , and pictures you already have ( fr. re-prints , fr. online on the innertube & fr. inside your head !)

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#14 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:23 PM

i agree , if you are collecting now, it's expensive and time consuming with all the unedited reprints coming out---i happen to buy the gnomes when they were plentiful and pretty affordable and only the old paperbacks were out--however, there is something to pulling one out of a box or off the shelf to open , a different feel---ralph g

#15 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for showing us your books dude! I like how you put mylar-wraps on the dust-jackets. I do that myself for all hardcovers I buy. But, I do work at an academic library! :P (Which is funny now that I think about it because most academic libraries throw dust-jackets away when they catalog books)

:lol:

And as far as value, who cares? I think it rocks that you treasure them and have kept them all these years! It does not really matter what their perceived value is, it is their intrinsic value to you that matters!

#16 the black stone

the black stone

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

frog, they came with the wrappers on[i do not want to take credit] they look pretty but are hard to photograph--ralph g

#17 octavian

octavian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

Back in the late 1870's, I mean 1970's, while in Hazlems bookstore in Florida, I came across a set of hardback books, I think 7 volumes, which looked old then. I think it was a complete works of Conan. I remember 1940's copyright but could be wrong. Anyone see this set or maybe complete works of REH. The price was $70 which was a lot back then. I should have bought it. Crom.

#18 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:11 AM

Sounds like a set of Gnome Press hardbacks.

Morgan

Back in the late 1870's, I mean 1970's, while in Hazlems bookstore in Florida, I came across a set of hardback books, I think 7 volumes, which looked old then. I think it was a complete works of Conan. I remember 1940's copyright but could be wrong. Anyone see this set or maybe complete works of REH. The price was $70 which was a lot back then. I should have bought it. Crom.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#19 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

Welcome to the forum Octavian! :)

Take a look at the links to the contents and covers of the Gnome volumes on Howardworks and tell us if it was the set you found back then:

http://howardworks.c...eror-gnome.html

http://howardworks.c...onan-gnome.html

http://howardworks.c...rian-gnome.html

Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#20 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,203 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:53 AM

Definitely sounds like the Gnome Press editions, Octavian. My first taste of REH's Conan was the Gnome Press Conan the Conquerer back in '76.

Welcome to the forum. :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.