• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

Now, here is a very interesting note - political views aside.

Barack Obama: The 50 facts you might not know

http://www.telegraph...t-not-know.html

"He collects Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics"

!

Someone send him the Del Rey collections so he can read the original stuff!

Edited by PaulMc, 11 November 2008 - 03:36 PM.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2 doctorvince

doctorvince

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

Based on his age, I'm guessing it's the 1970s Marvel run that he collects. I agree about the Del Rey editions BTW - I just finished the third one. Speaking of 70s Marvel, and having now read the original for the first time, I have to say I'm really very impressed at the quality of Thomas and Smiths' adaptation of Red Nails.

-VG

my sketchbook: http://www.flickr.co...s/doctor_vince/

Edited by doctorvince, 11 November 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#3 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:27 PM

Normally we have a no tolerance policy on politics and religion here on the forum. We will leave this topic up as it contains politics & Conan - keep on topic and away from discussing politics in general.

Personally, this is really interesting news. "Collects" implies he still has them, I wonder if he does?

Thanks Paul.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#4 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

No. 1 thing we didn't know! Unfortunately, I don't think the dear old Daily Telegraph would be capable of describing Conan in any other terms than "Conan the Barbarian", so we can't be sure he's not keeping up with the Dark Horse series. More research needed!
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#5 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

"Hither came Obama, the President, black-haired, wise-eyed, change in hand, a community organizer, a senator, a winner, with gigantic challenges and gigantic hope, to lift the humbled economy of the Earth up as his necessary feat."
:P
scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#6 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

No. 1 thing we didn't know! Unfortunately, I don't think the dear old Daily Telegraph would be capable of describing Conan in any other terms than "Conan the Barbarian", so we can't be sure he's not keeping up with the Dark Horse series. More research needed!

Indeed.. and one of his favorite shows is M*A*S*H.. finally a president I have something in common with.. not that.. theres.. anything wrong with fat interns or cowboy hats......

#7 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

I wonder if he'll play Basil Poledouris' Anvil of Crom at his inauguration ceremony... ;)

Pretty cool, though. I'd have never guessed that he likes Conan.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#8 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:34 AM

I wonder if he's a fan of Charles Saunders.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#9 rabbits

rabbits

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:37 AM

I wonder if he's a fan of Charles Saunders.

who can say..

but in my recollections I don't know to much about any books the former presidents have read... Except I seem to remember reading some where that the current ones favorite book is "The Stranger " by Camus. which I find highly ironic.

I think they have probably feel they have a right to be cagey about it though.. after all what is that quote " I can tell more about a man by the books on his shelf than from his words " or something akin to that..

#10 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:14 AM

Haven't read his book yet , & don't know a whole lot about the guy but the more & more I hear about/from him , so far , the more I like the guy . He's the first in many ways , he's brave , ballsy & down-to-earth & I personally hope he ends up being the kind of president who gets his face on a coin or a bill . Collecting Conan comics , I don't even have the words for how cool that is . Not Batman , Not Supes , not Cap. America but a barbarian ! (& I can overlook the fact that he's a spiderman fan :lol: ) I would almost guarantee he has read Howard & is a fan ( not that I think he'll drop in here anytime soon tho & tell us )...... :blink:

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#11 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:55 PM

Great find! I like how that made the top of the list also!!!

#12 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Having drawn for both Spider-Man and Conan comics ... I expect red carpet treatment at the inauguration.

#13 King of Aquilonia

King of Aquilonia

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

It's Interesting. When John F. Kennedy was President He Listed From Russia With Love as one of his favorite books. Shortly thereafter Bond Mania Seized the world. I wonder if Obama's mentioning of Conan will do our Barbaric hero any similiar career boosting.....hmmmmm?

#14 PFunkJAzz

PFunkJAzz

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:02 AM

but in my recollections I don't know to much about any books the former presidents have read...

Bill Clinton was a fan of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlwins detective series about life in South Central Los Angeles in the post WWII years. Tough hard-boiled stuff, but I felt some parallels with Conan.

#15 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:18 AM

Having drawn for both Spider-Man and Conan comics ... I expect red carpet treatment at the inauguration.

well, I would be happy knowing a world leader probably looked at my work!
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#16 TheLordCrom

TheLordCrom

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:22 AM

my sketchbook: http://www.flickr.co...s/doctor_vince/
[/quote]

BTW, Nice work in that sketchbook, 2 thumbs up!!
The Lord Crom
Director of the Solomon Kane Fan Film "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville"
My shortfilms: http://www.mystichammer.com/
Crom's Conan Page and SSOC Cover Gallery: http://www.mystichammer.com/conan/

#17 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:50 AM

Check it out:

http://www.theonion....rce=slate_rss_1

#18 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:55 AM

hahahaha
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#19 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:48 AM

God, that was awesome. They even got their sources correct, unlike a lot of legitimate news organizations when referencing Conan or REH. My favorite line: Later, the defense secretary attempted to find common ground with Obama by making casual references to the comic book Spawn. But the 44th president reportedly brushed him off with an abrupt laugh, saying, "no one in [his] administration likes Spawn."
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#20 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:01 AM

That was utterly glorious.

After receiving no reaction from the assembled reporters, Obama added, "Because a giant spider is protecting this chamber full of precious jewels, just like Congress is protecting its…. God, how are you people not seeing this?"

"How am I supposed to effectively lead this nation when [attorney general nominee Eric] Holder has to stop the meeting and ask what the story of Taurus using the black lotus powder to kill the five guard lions has to do with increasing broadband Internet connections nationwide?" Obama said while vigorously rubbing his temples.

But this is the absolute jewel:

"There is always a way, if the desire be coupled with courage."

Obama should totally make a point of slipping in REH quotes in his campaign speeches, Crom knows there are plenty of awesome ones out there.

"Mr. President, do you have anything to say to America's enemies?"
"Show me my foes, and I'll cleave their skulls to the teeth!"

"Mr. President, what is your stance on Wicca's acknowledgment as a religion by Congress, and subsequent attacks by critics who deem it devil-worship and black magic?"
"If they are black magicians, how will they suffer you to harry them? If they are not, there is no evil in them. Crom's devils! Let men worship what gods they will."

"Mr. President, do you have a response to Arnold Schwarzenegger's disparaging remarks about your physique?"
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man, like this!"

*breaks reporter's neck*

Edited by Taranaich, 28 January 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!