97 replies to this topic

#21 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

Guys, how about William Wallace? :)

something tells me Conan would have gone down fighting before he would have given himself up to be drawn and quartered...ouch!
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#22 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:49 PM

Daniel Boone, Alvin York, Nathan Bedford Forest, Audie Murphy, and John Paul Jones to name a few famous Americans

no doubt Conan would have been pleased as punch to have any of these MEN by his side during a fight to the death

Certainly Alvin York was no Conan in his personal habits, but you are right on, Serman, about having those guys beside you in a fight. A couple of guys Conan could have hit the taverns with and still depended on in the trenches were Chesty Puller and Manila John Basilone.

Alvin York would have gotten along great with Solomon Kane...they could have quoted scripture to each other during the heat of battle

#23 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

Arnold Henry Savage Landor. The man's bio reads like a character created by R.E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#24 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

What about this guy?

http://en.wikipedia....uraj_Jánošík

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071689/

http://i7.tinypic.com/49j086u.jpg

Slovak highwayman who fought for people's rights, went away in forests and caves, thrashed some wealth asses around. There was a story about him that after they finally captured him and killed him, they also killed all the kids that seems to be extraordinarry strong because they feared of Janosik being reincarnated in strong kids, because this ****er probably was some beast.
The pic below is from some Polish tv series and the guy who played him is Marek Perepeczko. He has some fine Conanish looks, but he died in 2005.

Edited by Munthasem, 14 January 2009 - 11:07 PM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#25 Slave of Chabela

Slave of Chabela

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:20 PM

Arnold Henry Savage Landor. The man's bio reads like a character created by R.E. Howard and H.P. Lovecraft.

Alone with the Hairy Ainu was the title of one of his books. :lol:

When you're out in the wilderness, I guess you get less fussy...

#26 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:45 PM

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Estanislao
Estanislao was an American Indian native to northern California in the early 19th century. He may have been one of the individuals who inspired the Zorro legend.

He assembled an army as large as 4,000 natives and raided Mexican settlers. His raids were characterized as sudden, usually involving a trap, and ending with no loss of life, and he would sometimes use his sword to carve his initial, "S", authenticating his handiwork.

He was apprehended, pleaded for a pardon, which he received, and was released. Then he went back to raiding again! :)

The Stanilaus river and county are named for him.

#27 Hawkbrother

Hawkbrother

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:00 PM

May I recommend a book Tales of the African Frontier by J.A. Hunter and Daniel P. Mannix. It has some great true life stories about such 19th and early 20th century African hunters,explorers,and adventurers as Ewart Grogan who walked from the Cape to Cairo; John Boyes "King of the Kikuyu(shades of Tarzan) tribe of Kenya',and Lord Delamere who opened Kenya to British settlement.
Then there is Frederick Courtenay Selous,hunter and traveller, whom I have seem to recall seeing that Haggard modeled Allan Quatermain on. How about engineer John Henry Patterson who killed the famous man-eaters of Tsavo(and actuallly faced a mutiny of his workers just like in the movie inspired by his life The Ghost and the Darkness)?
I love reading this sort of Africana,about these men who were just as tough as our own frontiersmen and lived lives almost as adventurous as any jungle adventure hero of fiction or screen.
Yes, some of these men killed a lot of elephants for ivory, but probably not nearly as many as present-day poachers. And did it at great risk to themselves, from the animals they hunted, but also from disease, thirst, hostile natives and so on. No riding around machine-gunning herds of animals from vehicles, like I heard Idi Amin's army would do.
Moving on to India, how about Jim Corbett, hunter of man-eating tigers and leopards, who had his share of tense moments? The type of British Indian hero that Kipling and Talbot Mundy wrote about-of for that matter Howard.
Oh yes and Carl Akeley who collected African animals for the American Musieum of Natural History and once killed a wounded leopard barehanded.
Closer to home, sourdough Russell Annabel who wrote dozens of Alaskan hunting and adventure stories for magazines like Field and Stream and Sports Afield, and also served as a war correspondent in the Pacific Northwest in WWII.

#28 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Shaka Zulu. I remember a very good tv serries about him. I was glued to the screen and I was mad as hell when his own people betrayed him and killed him using spears Shaka invented. They stabbed him in the backs with two spears, he turned in rage and they stabbed him again in the stomach. Darn ****s!

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Shaka_Zulu

btw, this Janosik guy ended up hung on the rope that was drawn through two puncture wounds above and below his rib. They hung him by the rib and let him die that way. Pretty gruesome way to die.

Edited by Munthasem, 20 January 2009 - 10:06 PM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#29 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

Cyrano de Bergerac. He was a real-life swordsman and poet, though not the nice guy of Rostand's play.

#30 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:24 PM

Shaka Zulu. I remember a very good tv serries about him. I was glued to the screen and I was mad as hell when his own people betrayed him and killed him using spears Shaka invented. They stabbed him in the backs with two spears, he turned in rage and they stabbed him again in the stomach. Darn ****s!

btw, this Janosik guy ended up hung on the rope that was drawn through two puncture wounds above and below his rib. They hung him by the rib and let him die that way. Pretty gruesome way to die.

that guy that played Shaka Zulu was incredible....whoa!

#31 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

that guy that played Shaka Zulu was incredible....whoa!

Sure was. His name was Henry Cele. He was a professional soccer player. Died in 2007.

Here's the pic. Damn he was good as Shaka!

http://www.zulu-cult...com/henry_4.jpg

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#32 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:47 AM

Cyrano de Bergerac. He was a real-life swordsman and poet, though not the nice guy of Rostand's play.

Hey John !
What about Charles de Batz-Castelmore, Count d'Artagnan, who inspired Dumas? He was a swordsman, a spy at Mazarin's service and a military commander.
Appointed governor of Lille, he wanted to return on battlefields and was killed during the siege of Maastricht. A belligerent "war hound" who fought numerous battles against the Spaniards.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#33 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

Axerules wrote:

What about Charles de Batz-Castelmore, Count d'Artagnan, who inspired Dumas? He was a swordsman, a spy at Mazarin's service and a military commander.
Appointed governor of Lille, he wanted to return on battlefields and was killed during the siege of Maastricht. A belligerent "war hound" who fought numerous battles against the Spaniards.

The more I read about the real Count d'Artagnan, the more I want to write a book about the man . . . something like the Alatriste books . . .

Best,

Scott

#34 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

Interesting you should say that. I've just begun reading the Alatriste books (about 100 pages into the first volume) and it's good reading. The author's take is very existential and European. Professional adventurers and soldiers of fortune are mostly losers, used and then thrown away by their social betters. Alatriste adheres to his code because it's about all he has or will ever have. Not exactly Howard but about as bleak of vision. Maybe that's why Europeans love Westerns so much. They realize that those gunslingers were mostly just hirelings of the big commercial interests that wouldn't even pay for their lawyers when they were arrested.

#35 Scott Oden

Scott Oden

Spokesman for Orcish Rights

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

I discovered them last year, John -- at Axerules' urging, if I recall correctly. I just finished Sun Over Breda, and it has quite a few elements I think REH would have appreciated -- the battles along Dutch canals, an excellent tunnel-fight at the seige of Breda . . . good stuff! Can't wait to snag a copy of The King's Gold . . .

Best,

Scott

#36 Amra the Warrior

Amra the Warrior

New World Samurai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

Guys, how about William Wallace? :)

something tells me Conan would have gone down fighting before he would have given himself up to be drawn and quartered...ouch!

Maybe not but he was still a tough guy. From what I have read he was betrayed & captured. I don't think he had much choice in the matter. Certainly didn't go out like a punk. I think he is a type of "Howardian" character. He was one tough dude.
Posted Image

#37 Slave of Chabela

Slave of Chabela

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:07 PM

How about Fitzroy Maclean?

http://query.nytimes...755C0A960958260

http://en.wikipedia....Fitzroy_Maclean

#38 Landsknecht

Landsknecht

Raconteur

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

Historical characters I would include as "Howardian":

Frances Marion (aka the Swamp Fox) http://www.geocities...fox.html?200913

Posted Image

Some one already mentioned the giant cannon stealing, two-handed sword wielding Peter Francisco. http://www.historyne...war-soldier.htm

Sir William Marshal : http://www.williammarshal.com/

I have met a few larger than life individuals in the military and in my job in Alaska but the most "Howardian" would probably be as a group our big game hunting guides. Alaska guide #1 is still alive and licensed. After hearing so many stories I hope to actually meet him this March. Urban is 90 this year. One of his stories is of giving himself a birthday grizzly bear hunt. He flew his piper supercub out where he set up camp and began stalking this grizzly. Grizzly hunting is a true sport since both parties are actively competing. He slipped down a river bank that was washed out and broke his hip. Made a crutch from his rifle and flew himself to the hospital that didn't want to let him in with a gun (crutch). He claims that he found and got the same bear the next year for his 83rd birthday. Sorry, but this is one of my favorite guide stories.

In the mid-1980s a grizzly bear was killed north of Anchorage. You are required to turn in the skull for biological records so the hunter was working hard on cutting hte head off this 10 1/2' monster when his knife hit something metallic. It was the broken blade of a very large home made bowie knife cut from a 1/4" high carbon steel saw blade. Someone unknown/unknowable now was grappling with this monster bear and had the mental composure to know that his only chance was to literally pry the bear's spine apart and was strong enough to snap off that knife blade instead..... There were two monsters that you would never want to have met in a fight. Alaska has no shortage of bear stories.

Edited by Landsknecht, 02 November 2010 - 08:58 PM.

-Karl
www.Earngyld.org, http://www.reenactor...hp?action=forum, armourarchive.org

#39 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

why not Lawrence of Arabia? or Glubb Pacha? Sidney Reilly? Ernest Hemingway?
by the way...

Hardrada's life is in fact so Conanesque that Chuck Dixon adapted parts of it for a few issues of Savage sowrd of Conan (without giving poor Harald, nor his biographer Snorri Sturlusson, the credit for it, though)!

what issues? and what part of his life? as a mercenary in Byzantium?
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#40 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

Guys, how about William Wallace? Posted Image

Maybe not but he was still a tough guy. From what I have read he was betrayed & captured. I don't think he had much choice in the matter. Certainly didn't go out like a punk. I think he is a type of "Howardian" character. He was one tough dude.

Exactly right. Conan got captured more than once. That happens in the real world. Of course, if Wallace had been from TENNESSEE, then he would've NEVER been captured (obscure Sermon Bath reference). ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.