132 replies to this topic

#121 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:16 PM

I think that someone actually transcribed the dynamite Carter's as movies to YOUTUBE. They were there a while ago at least, don't know if they're still up.

isn't there also one that faithfully follows the Stanton movie but takes the story into prequel and sequel territory following Dejah Thoris before she met Carter etc?

#122 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:16 AM

Just a little off-topic, but has anyone read the Darkhorse Tarzan/ Carson of Venus crossover published in 1999? trade paperback.

I'd love to see that one.

Edited by Brule80, 18 March 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#123 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

This is the trade for the "prequel" mini-series that came out a couple of months ago. They rushed the trade version out in time for the movie. Hopefully the art was readable than their version of Princess of Mars. Lawsuits notwithstanding, Dynamite's version was much better.

I completely agree. I'm enjoying Dynamite's unofficial series much better than the official Marvel one. Much more faithful imo.

I have an article on the history of John Carter in the comics in the current issue of Comic Book Quarterly for those who might be interested:

http://www.comiccoll...php?f=61&t=1895

Nice article theagenes.

Wouldn't mind owning the Jesse Marsh tpb when I next get some money. I have the darkhorse marvel reprint tpb and really enjoyed it despite some inconsistencies.

#124 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

This is the trade for the "prequel" mini-series that came out a couple of months ago. They rushed the trade version out in time for the movie. Hopefully the art was readable than their version of Princess of Mars. Lawsuits notwithstanding, Dynamite's version was much better.

I completely agree. I'm enjoying Dynamite's unofficial series much better than the official Marvel one. Much more faithful imo.

I have an article on the history of John Carter in the comics in the current issue of Comic Book Quarterly for those who might be interested:

Nice article theagenes.

Wouldn't mind owning the Jesse Marsh tpb when I next get some money. I have the darkhorse marvel reprint tpb and really enjoyed it despite some inconsistencies.

The Jesse Marsh stuff, quite honestly, isn't very good, though it's cool to have for it's historical value, or if you're a completist. But the artwork just doesn't do it for me. It looks crude and amateurish by todays standards.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#125 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:54 PM

Nice article theagenes.

The Jesse Marsh stuff, quite honestly, isn't very good, though it's cool to have for it's historical value, or if you're a completist. But the artwork just doesn't do it for me. It looks crude and amateurish by todays standards.

I Can understand where your coming from Amster.

I Suppose the first things I will shell out my hard earned cash for will be the Carson/Tazan darkhorse crossover(which I am really keen to see.) or the dynamite, or even the movie tie-in 'world of Mars' sequence (can anyone here comment on that?)

I suppose the best JC comic so far is the Marvel Chris Claremont run, the Master assassin Of Mars sequence. Could have been far better except for the last two issues or so and changes of artist messing it up. Pity.

#126 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

I would say Jesse Marsh is probably the second-worst ERB artist of all-time behind Rex Maxon.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#127 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

I would say Jesse Marsh is probably the second-worst ERB artist of all-time behind Rex Maxon.

from what I've seen Theagenes, Marsh's JC looked rather esoteric and 'trippy' (ah, it was the 60's I suppose.)
as I've stated previously I think the best jc comic was the 'master assassin of Mars', I liked the winged men in the canyon's idea, was less keen on the guild of assassins having a flippin flying aircraft carrier and Carter and Tarkas creeping round the air con ducts doing the whole 'Die Hard' schtick.

#128 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I suppose the best JC comic so far is the Marvel Chris Claremont run, the Master assassin Of Mars sequence. Could have been far better except for the last two issues or so and changes of artist messing it up. Pity.

I agree, up until the very end. It seems obvious to me that they knew the magazine was cancelled, and they had to wrap everything up in a single issue. Very disappointing. And the worst thing is, I never got the final issue when it was initially released. I thought the magazine ended with the prior issue, so I waited for over 30 years to see how it would all end. I really enjoyed the Marv Wolfman/Gil Kane run as well. I thought the Air Pirates of Mars was pretty awesome. Btw, the first John Carter annual, the Ancient Dead, was my introduction to the character. It was just a couple of months after I had begun reading the Conan comic. At that time, I had not read any genuine ERB or REH.

I think it's funny how a few people are complaining that Andrew Stanton changed Dejah Thoris into a warrior woman when Marvel comics did it over 30 years ago.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#129 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

I agree, up until the very end. It seems obvious to me that they knew the magazine was cancelled, and they had to wrap everything up in a single issue. Very disappointing. And the worst thing is, I never got the final issue when it was initially released. I thought the magazine ended with the prior issue, so I waited for over 30 years to see how it would all end. I really enjoyed the Marv Wolfman/Gil Kane run as well. I thought the Air Pirates of Mars was pretty awesome. Btw, the first John Carter annual, the Ancient Dead, was my introduction to the character. It was just a couple of months after I had begun reading the Conan comic. At that time, I had not read any genuine ERB or REH.

I think it's funny how a few people are complaining that Andrew Stanton changed Dejah Thoris into a warrior woman when Marvel comics did it over 30 years ago.

Yeah, it's also pretty interesting how the 'flying aircraft carrier' idea from the master assassin of Mars seems to be an element that they copied into the movie too. Chabon must have read this.

#130 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:24 AM

Picked up the Dark Horse collection of the Marvel issues. I've re-read the first year and first annual and stand by my earlier assessment thus far. Too bad we couldn't have kept the first issue's art team of Gil Kane and Dave Cockrum for the whole series.That first issue and the first annual have the best artwork of the series.

But there are some WTF moments, like when the bad guy's buried cybernetic arm creates . . . giant mobile stone snakes with petrifying eye-beams? :huh:
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#131 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but Dynamite Comics does E.R. Burroughs and occasional RE Howard comics.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#132 Russell12

Russell12

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Posted Image

Skottie Young's John Carter... like to see Conan though.
"We are men of action, lies do not become us."

#133 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

There might be a glut of Marvel 1970s classic John Carter Warlord of Mars omnibuses out there right now.

Read my blog post about it.  There seem to be a lot of copies around suddenly.  (no, I'm not trying to sell anything - I just noticed some at the store the other day)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog