Photo

The Complete Chronicles Of Conan (one volume)

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:39 PM

Gollancz's The Complete Chronicles of Conan will be available on 19 January 2006... available for pre-order on amazon.co.uk.

This is a "100th Anniversary Edition": that's REH's 100th, not Conan's (2032).

Let's hope all those corrections made it in!

Ciao,
Ant
My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#2 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

The Complete Chronicles Of Conan - Centenary Edition
?18.99 Hardback 928 pages 198 x 129 mm ISBN: 0575077662
Publication: January 2006 Orion Books .
http://tinyurl.com/asqg9

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#3 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:32 AM

The Complete Chronicles Of Conan - Centenary Edition
?18.99 Hardback 928 pages 198 x 129 mm ISBN: 0575077662
Publication: January 2006 Orion Books .
http://tinyurl.com/asqg9

Terry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you. :)

-M-
"The Perfect Blossom is a rare thing. A man could spend his entire life searching for one, and it would not be a wasted life."

#4 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Just like I said five posts earlier...

Ciao,
Ant

PS. OK, OK, Terry gave you more info and a link to Orion's own website...

PPS. Mmm... different covers? Amazon: Posted Image Orion: Posted Image :huh:

Edited by Ant, 21 December 2005 - 12:04 AM.

My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#5 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:46 PM

Hi Lads,
Got to move back from sunny Spain to Cimmerian west of Ireland, weatherwise speaking, and got the opportunity to buy myself the complete chronicles of Conan by british editor Gollantz. That is in fact my own valentine's gift as I don't have any sweetheart at the moment (great saving strategy...). The volume looks pretty good on the shelf. It comes with one colour plate and four b/w page drawings. I'll try to get some scans done next week. Best news? Only 29 euros, a bit under 35 USD.
If any of you across the pond want one, feel free to ask, I'll enquire about shipping fees to the States.

#6 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

Published 19 January 2006.

An extremely nice single volume edition at a bargain price, or so it would appear. Beats the two paperbacks anyway... :D

Edited by Mikey_C, 18 February 2006 - 07:33 PM.

Visit my blog: Necronomania

#7 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

it is indeed the one volume hardback Centenary Edition. I'll get a pic some time tomarrow or tuesday...

#8 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:56 AM

...and I was wondering if any of you guys have it, and if so, what do you think? (If you aren't sure what I am talking about, I provided the link below.) This hardback was released exclusively in the UK, and contains every REH Conan story. Unlike Del Rey's trade paperbacks (which I also own), the stories in this volume are ordered chronologically from Conan's earliest years to his kingship.

Anyway, I thought the book looked good, and figured with the price they had it listed at it wasn't a bad deal. I guess I am just looking for opinions from those of have it already.

Peace,
-M-

http://www.amazon.co...0390656-6967628
"The Perfect Blossom is a rare thing. A man could spend his entire life searching for one, and it would not be a wasted life."

#9 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

Wow! Am I reading that right... does that price equal about 25 American dollars??

#10 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:25 AM

Wow! Am I reading that right... does that price equal about 25 American dollars??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just about, it's around $22 USD. All said, I paid just over $30 USD. (This is including Shipping & Handling to the U.S.) To me, that is not a bad price at all. I couldn't find any U.S. bookstores (online or otherwise) that offered this title for anything less than $50 USD. All of REH's Conan stories in one hardback? This, to me, seems like a great deal, so I went ahead and ordered it. I'll let you guys know what I think after it arrives, in case you are also interested in buying a copy.

Peace,
-M-

#11 ironmammoth

ironmammoth

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:37 AM

The book is basically a compilation of the two paperback Masterworks volumes that were released in the UK.

It is taken from the original Weird Tales versions of the stories i.e. not returned to the origianl REH text as with the Wandering Star and Del Rey books - but certainly way better than the butchered versions that came out later.

In my opinion, a little editing can improve any authors work, so this could be the best version of the Conan stories around!

#12 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

The book is basically a compilation of the two paperback Masterworks volumes that were released in the UK.

It is taken from the original Weird Tales versions of the stories i.e. not returned to the origianl REH text as with the Wandering Star and Del Rey books - but certainly way better than the butchered versions that came out later.

In my opinion, a little editing can improve any authors work, so this could be the best version of the Conan stories around!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really. If you ever get a look inside those books, you'll see that the Del Rey editions are way better. I recently gave my Orb versions away to Good Will, which says something since I never let go of anything Conan. Nice covers, though.

#13 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

...and I was wondering if any of you guys have it, and if so, what do you think?  (If you aren't sure what I am talking about, I provided the link below.)  This hardback was released exclusively in the UK, and contains every REH Conan story.  Unlike Del Rey's trade paperbacks (which I also own), the stories in this volume are ordered chronologically from Conan's earliest years to his kingship. 

Anyway, I thought the book looked good, and figured with the price they had it listed at it wasn't a bad deal.  I guess I am just looking for opinions from those of have it already. 

Peace,
-M-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They've actually changed the order of the stories from the paperback versions and they now are in the order they were published , so a little different from the DR in that respect too .

I was in our local Waterstones the week-end and it was very nice to see a Howard book on the shelves for a change

Terry

Contribute to the Cross Plains Fire Relief Fund . Full details at http://www.rehupa.com

#14 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

The book looks good on the shelf, and the leather effect hardback is nice. The best way to organise your collection is to have it by the DR. No complaints about the volume, but the art could have been a bit better...

#15 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

...and I was wondering if any of you guys have it, and if so, what do you think?  (If you aren't sure what I am talking about, I provided the link below.)  This hardback was released exclusively in the UK, and contains every REH Conan story.  Unlike Del Rey's trade paperbacks (which I also own), the stories in this volume are ordered chronologically from Conan's earliest years to his kingship. 

Anyway, I thought the book looked good, and figured with the price they had it listed at it wasn't a bad deal.  I guess I am just looking for opinions from those of have it already. 

Peace,
-M-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the heads up! I just ordered it.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#16 Majere

Majere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:52 AM

Thanks for the heads up!  I just ordered it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. Hope you like it. I'll let you know what I think as soon as I get mine. B)

Peace,
-M-

#17 ironmammoth

ironmammoth

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

Not really. If you ever get a look inside those books, you'll see that the Del Rey editions are way better. I recently gave my Orb versions away to Good Will, which says something since I never let go of anything Conan. Nice covers, though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you explain your comment, you are not very clear as to why you do not like this edition!

#18 Winterghost

Winterghost

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:43 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you explain your comment, you are not very clear as to why you do not like this edition!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were a few things, you can find it in older threads here, but my biggest three beefs the typos (alot!) and the Brittish style of quotation marks rather than American (Heaven forbid we should convert Tolkien to the American style in our publications. No offense, Britt buddies). I also didn't like how the book opened, it was a bad binding job with the glue or something, maybe it was the lousy paper. The whole thing to me just felt like a hack job.

Edited by Winterghost, 21 March 2006 - 01:43 PM.

#19 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:43 PM

There were a lot of typos in the first printing of the first volume , a right cock-up by the proof-readers . However these were put right in later printings . Steve Jones had literally only a few months to pull them together and to be honest the object of them was a " cheap and cheerful " version of the stories.

Terry

Contribute to the Cross Plains Fire Relief Fund . Further details at
http://www.rehupa.com

#20 RichardS

RichardS

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:49 PM

I was flicking through some copies of the Centenary edition in Waterstones in London today and they had an upside-down one.

I wonder if that counts as a Collectors' collectors edition!

Richard