• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

The fact that Michael W. Kaluta has joined the Robert E. Howard Forum finally motivated me to get up off the parliamentary side o' me arse and start this thread, one I've intended for a long time.

I first discovered Mr. Kaluta's art in the first grade. I was in the hospital and my mom bought me an issue of The Brave and the Bold (Black Canary was Batman's partner in that one). In it was an ad for DC's The Shadow. The art was rockin'. Little did I know at the time, but MWK was the artist. Soon after, just as I was discovering the magic of Edgar Rice Burroughs' prose, I picked up a copy of DC's Korak comic. Within was an adaptation of ERB's Pirates of Venus done by Kaluta. Awesome stuff.

As it turned out, Mike started moving away from illustrating comics stories soon after, creating "The Studio" project with Bernie Wrightson, Jeff Jones and Barry Windsor-Smith. I next ran into his art when I snagged a copy of Zebra's The Lost Valley of Iskander. The "Old School" influences in MWK's style made him a perfect match for stories about El Borak, IMO. His Conan covers for Epic Illustrated and Conan the King were high-water marks during the Cimmerian's stint at Marvel™ (IMO). B)

From there, I followed MWK's work on other comics, book covers, the incredible artwork he did for the Nativity in Black Sabbath-tribute CDs, the Celtic League calendars and his work for White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast. I look forward to more great works of art from Michael William Kaluta in the future. :)

Here's a bio from Jim Vadeboncouer (w/ great art):
http://www.bpib.com/...tra2/kaluta.htm

Here's MWK's webpage:
http://www.kaluta.com/

Here's a link to some of MWK's art for sale:
http://www.bookpalac...ta_Art_180.html

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#2 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

A tilt of the mead horn to Mr. Kaluta, an artist of unique talent. One of the giants in his biz.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#3 Ant

Ant

Formicida!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:39 AM

MWK created what is, for me, the definitive illustration of ?owyn from The Lord of the Rings:
Posted Image

Peerless.

Cheers,
Ant
My LibraryThing ● Go here now → CONAN wiki ← & add what you know! ●

#4 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:06 AM

Welcome to the forum Michael!

B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#5 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:29 AM

MWK created what is, for me, the definitive illustration of ?owyn from The Lord of the Rings:
Posted Image

Peerless.

Cheers,
Ant

Right on, Ant. B) When people like Leo Grin and Steve Tompkins bemoan the lack of "ballsy" JRRT-related art (other than the Frazetta calendar), I point them to the MWK calendar and also to Angus McBride's stunning work for Iron Crown.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#6 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:31 AM

Ah, I remember his work now. I had the 1994 Tolkien calender which he illustrated (still have it packed away somewhere, I think). Good stuff!
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#7 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:40 AM

Welcome to the forums. I'm a big fan of your work.

#8 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:10 AM

Ah, I remember his work now. I had the 1994 Tolkien calender which he illustrated (still have it packed away somewhere, I think). Good stuff!

Hey Aggro! Don't you remember his art for DHC's Conan comic? Nobody, not BWS nor Big John, has ever told the story of Yogah of Yag better, IMO. He also wrote the intro for the "Tower of the Elephant" DHC hardcover. B)

#9 Elegast

Elegast

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:22 AM

I remember his " She' Leaving Home " from way back.

#10 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Kaluta. It's an honor.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#11 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:45 AM

And thanks for offering a dark haired, non 'teenage pin-up pretty boy' Legolas, one of my favorites from you.

You'll find no shortage of fans here, sir.
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#12 Guest_Sermon Bath_*

Guest_Sermon Bath_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

my first exposure was the fabulous work on THE SHADOW....that was Kaluta wasn't it...its been awhile but I'm
positive he did those great comics

#13 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Welcome Mr. Kaluta! Those Shadow comics from the 70's are fantastic. My favorite piece of yours would have to be the cover of Epic Illustrated #4 featuring a very familiar barbarian about to cut down a serpent creature. Thank you so much for all of your incredible work!

Posted Image

#14 Roquefort Raider

Roquefort Raider

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

Welcome, Mr. Kaluta.

I frequently re-read The Studio and never fail to discover something new in your amazing work.

Nobody ever did justice to the REH desert tales the way you that did. Many thanks for the wonders you brought us!

#15 Elegast

Elegast

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Welcome Mr. Kaluta! Those Shadow comics from the 70's are fantastic. My favorite piece of yours would have to be the cover of Epic Illustrated #4 featuring a very familiar barbarian about to cut down a serpent creature. Thank you so much for all of your incredible work!

Posted Image

Hi Everyone'

I recall that I first saw that picture in 1980/81. It's a lovely piece. It certainly sets me back!

#16 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hey Aggro! Don't you remember his art for DHC's Conan comic? Nobody, not BWS nor Big John, has ever told the story of Yogah of Yag better, IMO. He also wrote the intro for the "Tower of the Elephant" DHC hardcover. B)

Oh yeah! I remember it, but I didn't know that that was him when I read it. I'll have to go back and look at it again. B)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#17 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:32 PM

Oh yeah! I remember it, but I didn't know that that was him when I read it. I'll have to go back and look at it again. B)

Cool! Also, the "Helm's Deep" painting (from the JRRT calendar) was first used as the cover for that Hyborian Age/Conan Universe one-shot that Marvel™ put out in '86. For all the talk one hears about the Hyborian Age and the Third Age being mutually exclusive, that painting worked pretty damn well for both, IMO. B)

#18 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

Here's a sketch of Gimli by MWK:

http://www.rabidferr...r...icArt&id=68

Hey! Somebody needs to start posting their scans of the Conan the King covers. ;)

#19 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:23 AM

Love it.

(I tell ya, with Burke and Finn and Louinet and Herman and Jusko and others, and now Kaluta, this joint is going upclass!)
All that we see or seem

#20 thundarr

thundarr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

Kaluta's "Conan the King" covers were great. I believe he did the covers for issues #19-31. Here's a link to all the King Conan (renamed Conan the King after issue #20) covers from coverbrowser.com

King Conan Covers