48 replies to this topic

#41 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:24 AM

I am not impressed by the speaker to be honest, but then again as a german, we have the biggest voice-over market in the world due to the fact, that we get every movie, tv-series, book etc.. translated and we get voice over actors to read audio-books that normally do the voice over for award winning actors and they are a lot better than the average audio book reader I've heard in most English audio books so far. (though I did like the classic Harry Potter audio-books from the BBC, their voice over was really really well acted)

Hey, Waldgeist, I suddenly thought of a question: Do German voice actors bother to distinguish between an American accent and a British accent? Is there a difference to German ears? How did they handle Harry Potter?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#42 onewhowalkedalone

onewhowalkedalone

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

I'll be very happy when these are released, i cant think of a better way to start your day than to drive down the road listening to the works of REH
"...Free my hands and I'll varnish this floor with your brains!"

#43 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

I'll be very happy when these are released, i cant think of a better way to start your day than to drive down the road listening to the works of REH

Not sure which books you mean One! So for clarification - all three Conan Del Rey books have been released along with Kull and Solomon Kane. March 30th sees the release of The Horror Stories of REH, followed by Bran Mak Morn release on May 17, 2010.
B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#44 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

*sigh* I just tried to purchase the first volume from audible.com but thanks to Tantor not owning the rights to publish audio books in Germany, I am not even able to buy it from them. Man how I hate it, that in a GLOBAL internet, they still use borders in a traditional way. It just makes no sense. I could buy it in the US and it with me to Germany, but I cannot buy it virtually from Germany.

We're sorry. Due to publishing rights restrictions, we are not authorized to sell this item in the country where you live.

Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#45 Carcosa

Carcosa

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:01 AM

<br />*sigh* I just tried to purchase the first volume from audible.com but thanks to Tantor not owning the rights to publish audio books in Germany, I am not even able to buy it from them. Man how I hate it, that in a GLOBAL internet, they still use borders in a traditional way. It just makes no sense. I could buy it in the US and it with me to Germany, but I cannot buy it virtually from Germany.<br />

We're sorry. Due to publishing rights restrictions, we are not authorized to sell this item in the country where you live.

<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Such are licensing rights. You can buy the CDs and have them shipped to you....probably not much consolation....

#46 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Tantor Audio is running a holiday special - 50% off all audiobooks - and that includes Robert E. Howard. Good until 12/31/12:

http://www.tantor.co...obert e. howard

#47 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

Tantor Audio has all 3 of the Del Rey Conan audio books for just $6.99 audio download.  That is a steal, imo.  The Mp3 CD's and regular CD's are also on sale.  

#48 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:33 AM

Took a road trip with the family down to DC this week for a vacation and so had a chance to listen to some audio books to help the drive move along.

I downloaded The Conquering Sword of Conan! It was fantastic! Todd McLaren did a great job with the narration and even my wife and son thoroughly enjoyed listening to not only some of REH's best stories but also the extras that provided some great info and background on REH's life around the time he published these stories. Well worth the $6.99.

#49 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

Took a road trip with the family down to DC this week for a vacation and so had a chance to listen to some audio books to help the drive move along.

I downloaded The Conquering Sword of Conan! It was fantastic! Todd McLaren did a great job with the narration and even my wife and son thoroughly enjoyed listening to not only some of REH's best stories but also the extras that provided some great info and background on REH's life around the time he published these stories. Well worth the $6.99.

That's awesome!  I never thought about how audiobooks might reach non-REH fans. Sorta like, back in the day, when the family would gather 'round the radio and listen to the Shadow or Lone Ranger.  B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.