• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:29 AM

We are glad to announce that the popular Robert E. Howard series published by Random House/Del Rey is coming as audiobooks from Tantor Audio. First out, starting in June 2009 with one release each month, are the three Conan books, followed by "Bran Mak Morn: The Last King", "The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard", "Kull: Exile of Atlantis" and "The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane".

Tantor Media is a leading publisher of SF/Fantasy titles on unabridged audio. Bestselling authors include Issac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Richard K Morgan, William Gibson, Harry Turtledove, S.M. Sterling, Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison, Peter Hamilton, and Mercedes Lackey - among many others - and now Robert E. Howard! Todd McLaren will be narrating the stories. He is a 2009 Audie finalist for "Halo, The Fall of Reach" by Eric Nylund. His recordings include "Altered Carbon" (Richard K. Morgan), "A Meeting at Corvallis" (Stirling) and "Opening Atlantis" (Turtledove).

The audiobooks can be found in bookstores and online as audio-cd, mp3-cd as well as mp3 download (online only).

#2 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

Is it just a guy reading, or are there voice actors, music, and sound effects?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#3 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Todd McLaren will be voice acting without music and sound effects. A sample of his reading can be heard here, from the book he is nominated for: Tantor Media.

#4 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:09 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#5 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Awesome. I know a lot of people who are dycsle.. dyssel.. dyscel.. can't spell.

#6 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I cannot express the degree of happiness that this information brings me.
I'll be getting each one as it is released. finally a chance to hear my favorite author on long road trips!
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#7 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:36 AM

Excellent! I've never purchased audio books before, but I'll probably end up buying at least one of these. The horror stories would be fun to listen to on Halloween.

Edited by Officer Aggro, 14 April 2009 - 12:37 AM.

- The illegitimate son of Crom

#8 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:29 AM

Excellent! I've never purchased audio books before, but I'll probably end up buying at least one of these. The horror stories would be fun to listen to on Halloween.

Damned straight, Aggro! :D Honestly, these would be great gifts for a LOT of our loved ones out there.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#9 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:52 AM

Truley an unprecedented time to read Robert E. Howard right now. You have the Del Rey volumes (and some other sporodic volumes), the e-books available for mobile on-the-go readers and now the audio books that one can feel good about listening to since they are not illegal ( :D ).

Man, how the times have changed. I have no trouble giving CPI a big old Thank You! :)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#10 Groucho

Groucho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Have these audiobooks been delayed? It's past the release date shown for the first book on their website and the choices to purchase still say pre-order instead of buy. Also there are still no audio samples up. Has anyone received them?

#11 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

Have these audiobooks been delayed? It's past the release date shown for the first book on their website and the choices to purchase still say pre-order instead of buy. Also there are still no audio samples up. Has anyone received them?

Nope, still waiting. I'm looking forward to listening to these to and from work.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#12 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

Well, I hope they arrive before the end of Summer. I drive 25 miles in traffic to and from school on week-days. I've exhausted all the Patrick O'Briens. It would be great to be listening to REH rather than insipid dj's and endless commercials. This is good news.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#13 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,531 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:38 PM

Well, I hope they arrive before the end of Summer. I drive 25 miles in traffic to and from school on week-days. I've exhausted all the Patrick O'Briens. It would be great to be listening to REH rather than insipid dj's and endless commercials. This is good news.

While waiting for the Del Rey audio books try the Bear Creek Collection Vol. 2 on the itunes store. You can either listen to the Breck stories or read them - all for ninety-nine cents. . Good stuff! Ebooks & audio books are merging together and it's a beautiful thing. B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#14 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

A bout of flu slightly delayed the recording of the Conan books. The first book is now scheduled to be released on 6/29/09. Audio samples will be posted at the same time as release of the audio book.

#15 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

A bout of flu slightly delayed the recording of the Conan books. The first book is now scheduled to be released on 6/29/09. Audio samples will be posted at the same time as release of the audio book.

Hey Jay! Any idea how large the initial printings are going to be? In other words, is this something I'll be able to pick up in my neighborhood Borders, or will I have to order it through Amazon?
Posted Image

#16 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Obviously delayed again? Have a new release date for these?
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#17 The Adventurer

The Adventurer

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

It's not vitally important, but will these also contain all the fragments and other goodies that are included in the Del Rey releases?

I like listening to audio books now and then, I find they are one of the best reasons to own an MP3 player.

Oh, can somebody explain the difference between the packaging of these audio books, there seem to be three versions of every book...

1x or 2x MP3 CD (self explanitory I suppose, and I'm not too interested in the MP3 version anyways)

9x Audio CD in "retail unikeep binder"

and

9x Audio CD in "library L binder"

TA

Edited by The Adventurer, 08 July 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#18 Groucho

Groucho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Obviously delayed again? Have a new release date for these?

Can we get an update to Croms question?

#19 Jay@Paradox

Jay@Paradox

Master Scribe of Luxur

• Admin
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

I've thrown them a line about an updated release schedule. Questions regarding the different versions are best directed to Tantor directly: http://www.tantor.com/Contact.asp

#20 Groucho

Groucho

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

I've thrown them a line about an updated release schedule. Questions regarding the different versions are best directed to Tantor directly: http://www.tantor.com/Contact.asp

Thanks Jay!