61 replies to this topic

#41 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Stephen King has called "Pigeons From Hell" one of the best horror stories of the 20th Century. That's praise from one who understands the field.

#42 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Some years ago I read King's "Dance Macabre" in which he critiqued horror fiction and praised REH. However, I remember he used the term "minor genius" in describing Howard. Who's he calling "minor?"
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#43 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:38 AM

Some years ago I read King's "Dance Macabre" in which he critiqued horror fiction and praised REH. However, I remember he used the term "minor genius" in describing Howard. Who's he calling "minor?"

We had a long discussion about REH and King here:

http://www.conan.com...h=1

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#44 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:16 AM

Much obliged. :)
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#45 Axelsan

Axelsan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

I have read every one of Howard's horror stories I could find. I think a couple would make good movies. Top on my list would be Pigeons from Hell. Think it would be best done as a period piece.

But then again, people won't make Lovecraft movies, let alone other 30's horror.

Then again, again, when will they make a real Conan movie?

#46 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:22 PM

I have read every one of Howard's horror stories I could find. I think a couple would make good movies. Top on my list would be Pigeons from Hell. Think it would be best done as a period piece.

But then again, people won't make Lovecraft movies, let alone other 30's horror.

Hey Axelsan, welcome to the forum! B)

There was already a TV adaptation of "Pigeons" in the "Thriller" series. We're discussing it in this thread: http://www.conan.com...topic=1136&st=0

For the Lovecraft movies, we also have two topics that you might want to check:
Unfilmable: Lovecraft at the Movies - in this one, you'll find links to trailers and information on the HPL Historical Society's B&W version of "The Whisperer in Darkness."

Finally, there's also this topic, which deals with the possible film adaptation of "AtMoM": Lovecraft At The Mountains Of Madness Film!

Please reply in the appropriate threads, thanks.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#47 Axelsan

Axelsan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:53 AM

Hey, I had a friend tell once me that "Pigeons from Hell" was REH's best story, but I have yet to find any volume of Howard stories with this particular story in it! Can anyone show me the way?

I don't know where my copy is, but it was in a collection of Howard stories "The Tales of Robert E Howard" I think, maybe ACE pub. That book had shorts from the diferent motifs.

#48 Axelsan

Axelsan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

Hey Axelsan, welcome to the forum! B)

There was already a TV adaptation of "Pigeons" in the "Thriller" series. We're discussing it in this thread: http://www.conan.com...topic=1136&st=0

For the Lovecraft movies, we also have two topics that you might want to check:
Unfilmable: Lovecraft at the Movies - in this one, you'll find links to trailers and information on the HPL Historical Society's B&W version of "The Whisperer in Darkness."

Finally, there's also this topic, which deals with the possible film adaptation of "AtMoM": Lovecraft At The Mountains Of Madness Film!

Please reply in the appropriate threads, thanks.

Del Toro wanted 150M budget to make At The Mountains of Madeness this big 3D flick. Univerisal backed out because they wanted it to be a PG13 and the cost.

#49 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:16 AM

Hey, I had a friend tell once me that "Pigeons from Hell" was REH's best story, but I have yet to find any volume of Howard stories with this particular story in it! Can anyone show me the way?

I don't know where my copy is, but it was in a collection of Howard stories "The Tales of Robert E Howard" I think, maybe ACE pub. That book had shorts from the diferent motifs.

Try Howard Works.

Your one-stop reference site for all your Robert E. Howard needs.

Tex
(realizing it's been 25 years since he first read Pigeons From Hell)

#50 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:24 AM

I have read Pigeons from Hell at least twice. That and Black Canaan are my favorite REH horror stories.

If you liked those I would recommend to you FAngs of Gold which has the same creepy backwoods
atmosphere. You would probably like Graveyard Rats and House of Suspicion too. Howard was
a genius at creating suspense and dark, weird environments

#51 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:59 AM

Try Howard Works.

Your one-stop reference site for all your Robert E. Howard needs.

Tex
(realizing it's been 25 years since he first read Pigeons From Hell)

One of REH's most reprinted yarns and my first intro to his prose.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#52 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

I just read this classic horror story for the first time. From the title you can never guess what its about. I have avoided the posts,talk about the story since i knew it was one of his most known,acclaimed stories.

I must say its easily his scariest horror story. I was actually glad to put down REH horror collection by Del Rey when i read the story. Prose wise, creepy atmosphere and twist at the end makes a great great story.

It deserve its rep as alltime great horror story as i see in horror collections, critics,fans say. REH horror style perfected!

#53 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Have any of you read the Dark Horse "Pigeons from Hell?" I think it was released in 2009, from horror author Joe R. Lansdale. I just read the collected edition, and I thought it was great. Lansdale has a piece in the back where he discusses his love of Howard, and how--because he didn't see how he could improve on the original or on Scott Hamton's faithful adaptation, he wrote what he considered to be a sequel to the original story.

It is very good. I recommend giving it a look.

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_cr_rdp_perm

#54 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:49 PM

Have any of you read the Dark Horse "Pigeons from Hell?" I think it was released in 2009, from horror author Joe R. Lansdale. I just read the collected edition, and I thought it was great. Lansdale has a piece in the back where he discusses his love of Howard, and how--because he didn't see how he could improve on the original or on Scott Hamton's faithful adaptation, he wrote what he considered to be a sequel to the original story.

It is very good. I recommend giving it a look.

http://www.amazon.co...=cm_cr_rdp_perm

Yeah, I bought the trade collection when it was released and thought it was pretty good for a modern sequel to the story. I remember Rusty Burke saying that the back story was wrong, however. There's a topic on the graphic novel here where you can see all the responses:

http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=6104
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#55 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Thanks! I looked for a thread on this but I couldn't find one.

And yes, the back story is wrong, except that Lansdale didn't really try and get it right if I understand him. I really liked his afterword, explaining what he was going w with. There were no accidental mistakes. Every change was intentional.

#56 Freebooter

Freebooter

Freebooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

I read Pigeons from Hell not long ago. Man, great story!!! But that first part when that thing was creeping around, sneaking down the stairs peering at them, and his buddy going up stairs and back down, dead the whole while, with an axe in his head, etc, etc.. That part was true horror and gave me the weebie jeebies. Try reading it late at night at home all alone!! Totally different than reading a horror story in daytime! LOL!
Freebooter
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky.
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
Rush in and die dogs--I was a man before I was a king!
---From The Road of Kings

#57 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

I just read this for the first time myself.I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this story, the seup is great.The use of the moonlight shining through really hits home visually( as Howard always does.The end of the story to me ( and it really is minor to me its still great) sort of wraps things up a little too nicely for me and the twist as to who the zuvembie was ,I really hate to say this ( again minor critique i do love this story)for some reason didnt matter so much to me I have to reread it I guess as I for some reason did not feel the impact of it. I had a similar reaction to the end of wolfshead, which i enjoyed about the same, but the prequel story to that( on how the guy becomes a werewolf , i forgot the name)i thought was a hair better. great stuff just the same though. the little people is next.

#58 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I had a similar reaction to the end of wolfshead, which i enjoyed about the same, but the prequel story to that( on how the guy becomes a werewolf , i forgot the name)

I think that you're talking about "In the Forest of Villefère."
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#59 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

yeah thats the one. i really loved that story.The thing on the roof is another one I really enjoyed. you know when the day is done the kids are tucked in and the wife is watching her shows, lately instead of watching tv or a movie ive been going through multiple stories out of these books a night. I forgot to mention one of my faves so far (as far as the horror i havent read) the man on the ground.

#60 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

Mal at Grognardia writes up a good review of "PFH" here:

http://grognardia.bl...-from-hell.html