28 replies to this topic

#21 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

From what i read in a rules/announcement, Paradox and CPI do not allow Fanfic to be put out commercially. that i understand. but is there a place, maybe in this board or someplace else on the internet, where people can(legally of course)write non-prfit/commercial fanfic? Also, say i write some at home, is that allowed, and if so, can i post a link so people on this board can see my work?

Fan fiction is not allowed on this site, and there isn't an "official" site for it any more (it used to be allowed on the Mongoose rpg forums).
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#22 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

I believe you can post a link to your website as part of your signature.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#23 Urthur the Brythunian

Urthur the Brythunian

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Location:In this world, Ottawa. but in the hyborian world, Brythunia, killing some Hyperborean scum.

Posted 28 August 2010 - 01:41 AM

Aw,too bad. I was relly up for writing some fanfic. I guess when im don ill post a link.

#24 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:08 AM

Dam is CTDB breaking rules? If so I will remove etc.....
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#25 reberclark

reberclark

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Navigating the murkiness of Howard's poetry's copyright status has been tough for me. I would love to set some of his poems for orchestra and narrator and have no idea where to apply for permission to use the stuff. A long time ago I contacted Glenn Lord and he was very gracious and quick to respond positively. Then his troubles began and I was thrown into the copyright fray amongst competing parties. The piece of music that I did was never published with Howard's poems (Cimmeria and The Day That I Die) and I would like to return to it for commercial publication. Any addresses and/or contacts or info on who/what/where etc. concerning this poetry copyright permissions and status issue would be of great help to me. Thanks!
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#26 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

Probably this murkiness is a major factor in Howard's writing not being as universally appreciated as we would like. :(

Heck, nobody's going to makea lot of money on his poetry, no matter what they do. Why not open that up, and hope that it "seeds" the public regarding his other works????

#27 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi Reber:
Paradox Entertainment owns the intellectual property rights to REH's stories and poems although some of them are in the public domain. If you have specific poems you would like to set to music, I recommend that you contact them. Here is their website link: http://www.paradox-entertainment.com/. There's a tab on the top of the page for contacting them. I'm sure Jay or godzilladude will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've found them to be very fair and cooperative. They've been a presence at Howard Days the last few of years and I've enjoyed meeting them. A very nice group of people.

Good luck. I'd love to hear the music you compose and see what poems you choose for that!
Barbara

#28 reberclark

reberclark

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

Hi Reber:
Paradox Entertainment owns the intellectual property rights to REH's stories and poems although some of them are in the public domain. If you have specific poems you would like to set to music, I recommend that you contact them. Here is their website link: http://www.paradox-entertainment.com/. There's a tab on the top of the page for contacting them. I'm sure Jay or godzilladude will correct me if I'm wrong.

I've found them to be very fair and cooperative. They've been a presence at Howard Days the last few of years and I've enjoyed meeting them. A very nice group of people.

Good luck. I'd love to hear the music you compose and see what poems you choose for that!
Barbara

Barbara - Thanks so much for the info. I knew someone here would have the answer!
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#29 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I tried through the website Barb and it failed, they never replied, but Jay did and pretty much guided me on the can'ts and cans of it all.

I received permission for the Miser's Gold but now I am animating it into a short cartoon, but it is using the story of the poem and expanding. I still feel I owe it to REH to ask for permission, even though it is far removed from the poem as it is.

Posted Image

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century