154 replies to this topic

#1 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Ok, so we all know that a sequel to the current Solomon Kane film will be dependent upon the performance of the first. Still, the work on the sequel has already started from the producers' side.

The forum member known as "wandering star", producer Paul Berrow, recently shared the following on the Solomon Kane film news thread:

A what if sequel debate would be fun for Kane.

Right now its Africa, the staff and N'Longa and a journey into darkness of course. There were some pretty strange folks running around that continent in the 17th Century.
Morals were not high on the agenda......Le Loup being one of them! We have four African scripts in the draw allreay as we started with the African stories some ten years ago but the budgets were huge.
Could be a very cool aesthetic in the Congo and Namibia etc. The slave traders of the east coast in Zanzibar........all very exotic.
There i hope i have got you started!

of course there is always China and the Silk route or South America!! All good places for a Wanderer like Kane.

Many a time have I seen people saying things like "I hope someone involved in the movie reads this", which is exactly what will happen on this thread. Not only that, but before a script has been decided upon! This is, in other words, a pretty unique opportunity as far as this forum is concerned. So let's hear what you think, Kane-lovers. Where should the sequel take Kane/what stories should be used etc.?

-Gulbrand

#2 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

I will start off by saying that I think Africa is the right place to start. Not only because it was the focus of more than one great Kane stories to use as a base, but also because I think it makes for a very unique location, genre wise. I honestly can't remember when I last saw a fantasy film set in Africa.

The question is how much this will cost/how difficult it will be to make a film set in Africa. Both making sets and filming on location seems likely to be pretty expensive. I can't say I'm surprised that WS mentions the budgets were huge. Any idea of how to deal with this, Paul? Short of the first Kane movie grossing triple digits, that is.

Edited by Gulbrand, 05 May 2009 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

Kane! Go to Africa! It is there that you will find what you seek!

#4 Aaront596

Aaront596

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

I decided to post this here instead of in the first Kane movie thread because I'm sure that filming is quite finished for the 1st film even for extras on the DVD.

I think that some of the short stories/poems about Kane are too short and just out of place with the longer narratives to really fit into the movies that well. A flash back or dream or something like that might be appropriate but if that wouldn't work it'd be shame for these stories to never see the screen. So here is what I'd love to see:

I'd love to see such stories as "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville" "The Right Hand of Doom" "Solomon Kane's Home Coming" but most of all "One Black Stain" either produced as a small short at the very start of a Kane film or as a short bonus feature on a Kane DVD. I think these stories would do very good as stand alone pieces and the poems could have narration over the action. It would also be a cool tool to set the tone of a film or intro the character himself before the film actually begins. If anyone has seen the short on you tube of "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville" I think something like that for some of the shorter stories, of course done with a larger budget, would make for some very cool introduction material and or DVD bonus features being that they are pieces not having much to do with some of the longer stories. Plus, I think shorts before films are very cool and and not utilized often enough. Maybe it could even be released before a film as promotional material?

What kind of idea do you think this is Wandering Star? I hope you get to see this post and at least take it into consideration as a possibility. It's so cool to actually have interaction with a producer of a film involving one of all of our favorite characters!

Edited by Aaront596, 05 May 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#5 Grimr

Grimr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

'The Hills of the Dead' has some elements which would look great on film. It is in Africa, of course; features N'Longa and the staff (albeit N'Longa is in another's body!); has tons of vampire/zombies, and tons of action; and a pyrotechnic climax. Stylistically, the classic horror elements in the jungle setting could look fantastic. The problem is that it is a very straightforward story, and very short, so wouldn't add up to a complete film on it's own. Some of the set pieces and ideas could be used, though.
"I think of Life!" he roared. "The dead are dead, and what has passed is done! I have a ship and a fighting crew and a girl with lips like wine, and that's all I ever asked."

#6 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

SK #2: Red Shadows
SK #3: Wings in the Night
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#7 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:02 AM

I decided to post this here instead of in the first Kane movie thread because I'm sure that filming is quite finished for the 1st film even for extras on the DVD.

I think that some of the short stories/poems about Kane are too short and just out of place with the longer narratives to really fit into the movies that well. A flash back or dream or something like that might be appropriate but if that wouldn't work it'd be shame for these stories to never see the screen. So here is what I'd love to see:

I'd love to see such stories as "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville" "The Right Hand of Doom" "Solomon Kane's Home Coming" but most of all "One Black Stain" either produced as a small short at the very start of a Kane film or as a short bonus feature on a Kane DVD. I think these stories would do very good as stand alone pieces and the poems could have narration over the action. It would also be a cool tool to set the tone of a film or intro the character himself before the film actually begins. If anyone has seen the short on you tube of "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville" I think something like that for some of the shorter stories, of course done with a larger budget, would make for some very cool introduction material and or DVD bonus features being that they are pieces not having much to do with some of the longer stories. Plus, I think shorts before films are very cool and and not utilized often enough. Maybe it could even be released before a film as promotional material?

What kind of idea do you think this is Wandering Star? I hope you get to see this post and at least take it into consideration as a possibility. It's so cool to actually have interaction with a producer of a film involving one of all of our favorite characters!

I'm with you, Aaront. I was thinking something along the same lines; that making a sort of trailer based on a poem could be an innovative take on promotion. There really isn't any one of them that probably fits the bill in terms of the plot of this film, though, so I guess extra material is a more realistic solution. Especially for the first movie, where they are currently working on getting distributors. As I understood it, the trailer/promotion will in large part fall on the distributors anyway.

#8 wandering star

wandering star

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:37 AM

I will start off by saying that I think Africa is the right place to start. Not only because it was the focus of more than one great Kane stories to use as a base, but also because I think it makes for a very unique location, genre wise. I honestly can't remember when I last saw a fantasy film set in Africa.

The question is how much this will cost/how difficult it will be to make a film set in Africa. Both making sets and filming on location seems likely to be pretty expensive. I can't say I'm surprised that WS mentions the budgets were huge. Any idea of how to deal with this, Paul? Short of the first Kane movie grossing triple digits, that is.

Story and character is the key to everything and then we try to make the budget work around the essence to make it work emotionally. The source material for Africa is great but the 95 minute arc of the story will be our challenge. A series of short stories and cool action scenes does not a feature film make in itself. You know this of course as several folks have posted this point. The poems were of course our point of departure on the first film, theey granted us an insight into pre wandering mode. The time when Kane was kicking arse for the Queen of England as a privateer. The first picture opens in this world by the way.
Kane as a captain taking the North African citadel with a vicious glint in his eye. The transformation that takes place is the theme of the first picture, the sequel picks up the man we now know from this introduction and the short story material.

#9 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Hey, Wandering Star. Good to see you supporting Gulbrand's thread (and, hey, it's really your thread, too). The major problem I see concerning the second Kane film is that it almost has to be "Red Shadows," the story that first brings Kane to Africa and meets N'longa. However, it may disappoint a lot of folks that the staff of Solomon doesn't show up in that story. The other problem I see is that if Kane is intended as a trilogy, that leaves two films. But there are five fully fleshed Kane adventures in Africa, including "Red Shadows," "The Moon of Skulls," "The Hills of the Dead," "Wings of the Night," and "The Footfalls Within." Not to mention the three completed stories in Europe, "Rattle of Bones," "The Blue Flame of Vengeance," and "Skulls in the Stars." Then, of course, there are the poems that would lend themselves to a film, or at least parts of one: "The One Black Stain," "The Return of Sir Richard Grenville," and "Solomon Kane's Homecoming." One thing is for sure, there is sure no shortage of material to work with.

I would hate to have to choose between those stories and poems. However, you can bet I have some ideas of my own (don't we all!) and I will be back.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#10 daniel

daniel

victorian raptor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:41 PM

i'd like to repeat here a suggestion for a "kane in africa " script, based on what i term, for reasons of convenience, "the vampire trilogy" comprised of: hills of the dead" "wings in the night" and " moon of skulls". lest there be any doubt, i am firm in my belief that the script should be based on a COMBINATION of the three stories, since in my personal view this is exactly what howard himself should have done: a short vampire novel set in africa.

as for details:
1: the "stone kraals" from "hills" can be a reference to the city of negary
2: the guards and soldiers of negary could be the same vampires encountered in "hills" or:
3: servants of negary and the priesthood, who in turn could be the akaana in human form.
4: the village kane visits in "hills" and the one in "moon" could be united and the plot-thread of the lovers aided by n'longa integrated into the attempt to rescue marylin tafarel.

5:as for the atlantean priest and the skull of "moon" : i admit that in my script the staking of nekari with n'longa's staff fulfills the same requirement as the destruction of the skull, and the priest could be used only in order to summon the vultures in the climactic battle at the end (that will end in an earthquake)
6: what i'd really like to see in the film is kane's vision of elizabethan england invaded by african vampires. gary gianni has drawn an excellent sketch of this in the dell rey edition. think of this: gothic elephants trampling elizabethan musket-men... this is a connection to henry rider haggard, as well as stoker.
7: also: please,please ,please: make the akaana PTERODACTYL-BASED! this may be the last and only chance to introduce a "primordial" element to this jungle-adventure, and a connection that may be clear to the viewer, if not to kane himself.

two alternatives:
8: the akaana may be revealed as the "power behind the throne" such as the mahars of pellucidar,or the serpent-priest in "legion from the shadows".
9: i'm a little less keen on this,but: le loup could be a "renfield figure" and once enthralled by nekari compelled to abduct marylin tafarel, thus setting kane on the path...

and i repeat: PTERODACTYLS!

#11 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:39 AM

I was curious about just where in Africa you could shoot a major film and I ran across this story on a new South African studio being built near Capetown.

Construction recently started to turn 200 hectares of land, near pristine wetlands and lush Cape vineyards, into Africa's first state-of-the art studio worthy of Hollywood or Bollywood. Cape Town Film Studios, initially named Dreamworld, lies 25 kilometres east of its namesake city. It is the country's largest ever investment in its film industry, which employs more than 20,000 people. The project, estimated at R430 million funded by shareholders and a R30 million investment by the Western Cape government, has been five years in the making. The first stage should take shape within a year and construction completed by February 2010.

Such an investment during a global recession does not daunt Dekker, who has confidence in South Africa's varied locations, lower production costs and what he touts as highly skilled crews. Already parts of the 2008 film "10,000 BC", the 2006 hit "Blood Diamond" and movies starring big names like Steven Seagal, Juliette Binoche and Andie MacDowell have been filmed here. "People don't come to South Africa only for the locations," he said."Now you can shoot through winter so you attract a different kind of production."

The only other African country with a bustling film industry is Nigeria, but its films are low-budget, mobile, non-studio productions shot on video which are often pirated as soon as they hit the streets.
Morocco has a big film studio in Ourzazate, which has hosted productions such as the 2006 film "Babel" with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, but is not on the scale of Cape Town Film Studios.

Jamaica is also a well-known location for U.K. crews not wanting to travel all the way to Africa. The Pacific Coast of Mexico also provides a great jungle, but not all the news out of Mexico these days would attract a production company. If a producer wanted to shoot in the states, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Louisiana can all provide African-looking locations and generous tax incentives.

Maybe Davis, being a French company, has connections with some of the African countries that were formally French colonies. Anyway you look at it, shooting a major production on location in Africa won't be cheap.

#12 Evil Thoth-Amon

Evil Thoth-Amon

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

I hope the Harpies will appear...
The natural state of mankind is slavery. The only question is who commands and who obeys...

#13 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:10 AM

"Wings in the Night" is one of Howard's best stories period. You may be right, Evil Thoth-Amon and it would make an exciting film. I am more inclined to believe the producers will go with "Red Shadows" in some form because it is the story that introduces Kane to Africa and N'longa. Perhaps they will try to link the two tales.

#14 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:55 PM

I hope the Harpies will appear...

and you think bird droppings are annoying
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#15 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:00 AM

If I was making a sequel to Kane, I would definitely try to link either "Hills of the Dead" or "Wings of the Night" to "Red Shadows." Kanes titanic battles against the supernatural creatures in those two stories would be right up Michael J. Bassett's alley.

#16 Gulbrand

Gulbrand

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

Everyone seems to have their mind set on Africa, myself included. The only opposing voice I've seen so far is a man that calls himself Joseph Lewis that replied to Bassett's blog:

Idea for a sequel: The swashbuckling Puritan launches a newspaper empire to fight evil with his rapier wit in the OpEd section: Citizen Solomon Kane!

On a more serious note: Everyone also seems to assume that the third film will also be based in Africa. If this will be the case or not, should play a big part in which stories to use. If the plan is just one Kane-film set in Africa, I think they should definitely incorporate elements from more than one story. This might make sense anyhow, considering the length of the stories.

I'd be interested to hear whether WS & co. has thought about the third film. I understand if that is a bit far off, though, seeing as the first film hasn't even released it's trailer, hehe. Fantasy films do have a tendency to taking the protagonist(s) to different locations in every new installment, but I guess there's nothing wrong with bucking that trend, either.

#17 Guest_tbrittreid_*

Guest_tbrittreid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Everyone seems to have their mind set on Africa, myself included. The only opposing voice I've seen so far is a man that calls himself Joseph Lewis that replied to Bassett's blog:

Add me to him. I have always preferred the European-based stories, and have said so somewhere on these boards, but not directly tied to the film discussions, I admit. I was particularly pleased that Marvel seemed to stay away from Africa for their original Kane stories (perhaps not invariably, but generally). On the other hand, I was saddened when "Red Seas" ( a story written by Jo Duffy in SSOC #81 (IIRC), did not lead to a "Kane in the Far East" series, as was the obvious intent.

#18 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:40 PM

I'd love to see a Solomon Kane set in Africa, but there might be some problems that will necessitate departing from Howard's stories. I think the biggest obstacle would be sterilizing some of the racial overtones that flow through those stories, but it's not insurmountable. Peter Jackson did a decent job of defusing the same things in his King Kong remake.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#19 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:18 PM

True, there are some elements in REH's original Kane stories that contemporary audiences would find offensive. However, I think Kane's friendship with N'longa is almost a father-son relationship. In "Hills of the Dead" Kane is definitely subordinates himself to the great ju ju man to defeat the vampire army. Kane is quite compassionate and respectful of the dying African warrior he encounters in "Wings of the Night" and sets out to avenge him. There are many elements in Howard's Kane that would make it rather easy to dust the stories very lightly and create a script more than acceptable to modern sensibilities.

As Gulbrand, I, and others have said previously, there isn't a Kane story with sufficient narrative to support a two hour action film. "Red Shadows" and "The Moon of Skulls" imply long story arcs, but the details aren't there. A screenwriter would have to fill in the blanks with of his or her imagination, or join the elements of multiple stories. Mr. Bassett has said the next Kane would be based much more on REH source material. That being the case, I would hope he would use Howard's ideas rather than freely invent new ones. Alas, history has shown that most screenwriters try to put their spin on the material.

There's a scene in "The Bad and the Beautiful" where a director tells an arrogant producer that to make a great film the director has to have humility. He can't overdo or put his mark on every scene. I feel the same is true of a screenwriter when he or she is adapting a great work of literature. A good screenwriter should remember they shouldn't assume to re-write work of that caliber, they should artfully fit it comfortably into the structure and conventions of a motion picture. If the writer is trying to fix a piece of schlock that is a different matter, but REH's Kane stories are pure gold. If I was the guy writing the next Kane, I would try to stay humble and mine those stories for all they were worth.

#20 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:51 AM

True, there are some elements in REH's original Kane stories that contemporary audiences would find offensive. However, I think Kane's friendship with N'longa is almost a father-son relationship. In "Hills of the Dead" Kane is definitely subordinates himself to the great ju ju man to defeat the vampire army. Kane is quite compassionate and respectful of the dying African warrior he encounters in "Wings of the Night" and sets out to avenge him. There are many elements in Howard's Kane that would make it rather easy to dust the stories very lightly and create a script more than acceptable to modern sensibilities.

As Gulbrand, I, and others have said previously, there isn't a Kane story with sufficient narrative to support a two hour action film. "Red Shadows" and "The Moon of Skulls" imply long story arcs, but the details aren't there. A screenwriter would have to fill in the blanks with of his or her imagination, or join the elements of multiple stories. Mr. Bassett has said the next Kane would be based much more on REH source material. That being the case, I would hope he would use Howard's ideas rather than freely invent new ones. Alas, history has shown that most screenwriters try to put their spin on the material.

There's a scene in "The Bad and the Beautiful" where a director tells an arrogant producer that to make a great film the director has to have humility. He can't overdo or put his mark on every scene. I feel the same is true of a screenwriter when he or she is adapting a great work of literature. A good screenwriter should remember they shouldn't assume to re-write work of that caliber, they should artfully fit it comfortably into the structure and conventions of a motion picture. If the writer is trying to fix a piece of schlock that is a different matter, but REH's Kane stories are pure gold. If I was the guy writing the next Kane, I would try to stay humble and mine those stories for all they were worth.

Bravo, amen!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject