4 replies to this topic

#1 Ningauble

Ningauble

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:46 PM

In the latest issue (#540) of the venerable Swedish magazine Jules Verne-Magasinet there is a very strange translation of "The Slithering Shadow": the editor has simply run the story through Google Translate and published it as is, as some sort of incomprehensible satirical comment on what he calls "New Swedish". It is bl**dy annoying, especially when he refers to the original text as "an unwitting parody" while calling his own "translation" (which is signed "G. Oogle") an intentional parody.
Considering that the magazine costs about $12.40, filling several pages with unreadable gibberish equals flipping a finger in the face of the customers. :angry:
Thank God I don't subscribe!

#2 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:12 AM

It doesn't take much brainpower to notice that online translators are sometimes innaccurate. A dog can see when the sheep are out of line. ;)

Sometimes the translators have an option to suggest a better translation. That would probably entail too much creativity, huh? :)

#3 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'd ask for a refund. :angry:
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#4 ?sir

?sir

Pathfinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:42 AM

Jag skulle sl? honom i ansiktet.

Google translate that! :angry:

#5 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

Jag skulle sl? honom i ansiktet.

Google translate that! :angry:

Jag skulle strypa honom med sina egna in?lvor. :P
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--