Photo

Discuss the Upcoming Conan Film (Conan 2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7156 replies to this topic

#2581 Bladesmith

Bladesmith

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Looks good in the top pic.

Man he really put the beef on!

Looking forward to an official still. No context to these...
Thanks for uploading Amra

Jason Momoa as Conan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like the brownish hair is in. Maybe it's just me, but the left armor "sleeve" just doesn't seem right for Conan, it looks off balanced. Anyway....

#2582 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

Check out the Frazetta thread.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#2583 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Given that there is no way an out of context mobilcam snapshot can ever do what he will look like on colour timed and cinematographied cellulid still or promo shot, he looks pretty good.

Still, Millennium really screwed the pooch over by not having official pictures out before these.

#2584 Head-On-A-Pike

Head-On-A-Pike

bleeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Looks like the brownish hair is in.

I still would wait and see what the actual finished film looks like before commenting on that. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it's impossible to exaggerate the extent to which a movie like this gets color-graded in post production. It's quite conceivable that it will end up with a heavily desaturated, monochromatic palate where blonde hair turns platinum, and anything darker than ginger turns black.

I'm sure everyone here knows what I'm talking about, because 90% of movies do it now, where everything is sort of washed out and bluish or maybe sepia looking, depending on the movie and the given scene. Nispel himself does it.

Most movies these days do so much tinting and tweaking that it's hard to tell what color anything was originally.

I would definitely say that JM has outgrown the term "lanky" that was thrown around when people only had his surfer dude pics to look at. Maybe still not big enough for some, but he looks pretty beast to me.

And he really stands out from other people in the photos who are obviously in costume and appearing in the film. He really needs to look like a different creature compared to those around him -- to be the wolf among dogs -- and it looks like they may have achieved that.

I just hope that his hair is tucked behind his ears in that first photo, and that he's not wearing some kind of pseudo ponytail or something there. that kind of hair always reminds me of that shirtless bodybuilder guy who used to play saxophone for Tina Turner. Anyone remember him? The guy who was so cool he could play with one hand, and always posed like he was modeling for a Boris painting or something? :lol:

Hope he's well-trained as a rider.

Edit -- Damn, looks like norse beat me to my first point there. Always nice to have someone agreeing, though. :)

Edited by Head-On-A-Pike, 10 May 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#2585 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hooray, he appears to have conquered his fear of horses! :P

Gotta say, I'm not feeling this. He looks like a gladiator: the manica on one arm, pteruges over the skirt. It's like he stepped off the set of Spartacus. Not digging this look for him at all. What also bites is the other soldiers do look somewhat "Medieval," leading me to wonder what the hell they're going for.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#2586 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

Hooray, he appears to have conquered his fear of horses! :P

Gotta say, I'm not feeling this. He looks like a gladiator: the manica on one arm, pteruges over the skirt. It's like he stepped off the set of Spartacus. Not digging this look for him at all. What also bites is the other soldiers do look somewhat "Medieval," leading me to wonder what the hell they're going for.

I second that notion. In addition a forest with 20 year old trees.. not very "ancient" or hyborian or Howard too.

Nothing, not one set we've seen so far looks even remotely like anything Howard described in his stories. I just hope that this is all by chance and the real sets and scenes are terrifc and hit the mark, because so far... Milius outdid them 10 to 1, just by chosing the right spots in Spain.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2587 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Manica! That's the word I was looking for!
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#2588 Maxmagnus

Maxmagnus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Jason looks like Indian warrior lost in the time of King Arthur. :blink:
"There is no need to carry me to another prison. My life is already ebbing away. I suggest that you nail me to a cross and burn me alive. My flaming body will be a torch to light my people on their path to freedom."

Gavrilo Princip to the prison govenor

#2589 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

This is looking more and more like a Hercules episode... The costumes are way to clean. The armor looks new and shiny. I don't like it. Hyborea was a dark and gritty place much of the time. Conan needs to have some wear and tear in on his garb.

#2590 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

Hello everybody! hello dear Waldgeist! i guess i'll be visiting this site often now!!! At least you got some info on the movie :rolleyes:

And from the start I have to argue with you,Waldgeist!!! One of the things that always amazed me in REH stories is how he depicted the atmosphere of Hyboria with simple words! same concerning the little details such as outfit!!! he never invetented something new.So even meadevil looking shirt manica could possibly exist in Howard's imagination! As well as 20 year old trees :D ( I honour your passion for conan,but its just not how you imagened that- we already had that conversation,I believe) The "sleeve" does look stupid but I hope we will watch it for moments.

Momoa! Strange angle-but he seems to look alwright(not a surfer-didnt i tell ya-massive piece of meat)!!! Is that a sentimental look in his eyes? :lol: Shit!!! I agree that he and everything will look wayyy differ after post-pr.Much BETTER.

p.s.he has dirt under his nails :o

#2591 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

This is looking more and more like a Hercules episode... The costumes are way to clean. The armor looks new and shiny. I don't like it. Hyborea was a dark and gritty place much of the time. Conan needs to have some wear and tear in on his garb.

The costumes in heroic fantasy flicks are getting recently "clean" as ever and lack authenticity, as in Hercules, Xena etc etc. I mean Hercules with a bright yellow shirt, metal 'n leather bracers stolen from the local halloween costume shop...what a joke
It's becoming a MAJOR problem in these kind of movies.

The supporting crew in the unofficial pics is a perfect example : weird hairstyle, nets and other random improvised outfits, as I said previously some of the worst examples ever can be seen in Roland Emmerich's 10000BC. Needless to say that the swords often look like renaissance fair souvenirs as well.

Edited by krommtaar, 10 May 2010 - 09:04 PM.

#2592 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:09 PM

the production design we're seeing is fairly uninspiring but i'll have to wait for some official stills before i'll pass judgement. Howard's Hyborea is a complete mish mash so medieval styles and gladiator gear aren't necessarily out of place. Momoa himself is looking pretty damn good.

#2593 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello everybody! hello dear Waldgeist! i guess i'll be visiting this site often now!!! At least you got some info on the movie :rolleyes:

And from the start I have to argue with you,Waldgeist!!! One of the things that always amazed me in REH stories is how he depicted the atmosphere of Hyboria with simple words! same concerning the little details such as outfit!!! he never invetented something new.So even meadevil looking shirt manica could possibly exist in Howard's imagination! As well as 20 year old trees :D ( I honour your passion for conan,but its just not how you imagened that- we already had that conversation,I believe) The "sleeve" does look stupid but I hope we will watch it for moments.

Momoa! Strange angle-but he seems to look alwright(not a surfer-didnt i tell ya-massive piece of meat)!!! Is that a sentimental look in his eyes? :lol: Shit!!! I agree that he and everything will look wayyy differ after post-pr.Much BETTER.

p.s.he has dirt under his nails :o

The difference is... back in the Hyborian Age it's pretty impossible for anyone to build a forest like the one we are seeing. Forest were wildlife back in our own history and there is no such thing as clean open forest with only young trees, without MASSIVE human intervention. I bet there is a ton of dense, thick, properly old and overgrown forest all over Bulgaria, but they choose to use the "park-forest". It has nothing to do with how I imagine Hyboria, just by what makes sense in a world that is history, before our history.

On one hand they combine ripped apart whores, that are fully dressed below littered with jewelry (which is ten times more expensive than new clothes), cimmerian buildings that make no sense and that would not hold a decent weather-storm and then they have 100% mediveal carts and armor and clothes, with a cimmerian bare chested and with a leather padding armor that comes straight out of Roman time. In the stories Conan always dressed in the customs of the region that made sense. He was not stupid. He was not a "sucker for style", he did what was effective, what worked. Ok I loose myself in all the babbling, but I think you get the picture. The production SO FAR (I'd love to be proofen wrong any second with nice set-shots) looks like no one really gave a longer thought on the scope, cultures, structures or their heritage.

It all looks like a LARP (sorry but it does.. I've been LARPing for over 10 years and all those sets and clothes look extremely like the better LARPs i've been too.. down to the sword design of the oakley wearing barbarian)

Cheers,
Waldgeist
PS: Disclaimer: purely personal opinion, not connected to any company i work for

Edited by Waldgeist, 10 May 2010 - 10:11 PM.

#2594 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

:ph34r:

#2595 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:17 PM

"It all looks like a LARP (sorry but it does.. I've been LARPing for over 10 years and all those sets and clothes look extremely like the better LARPs i've been too.. down to the sword design of the oakley wearing barbarian)"

Again, WHERE IS THE SWORD?!?! I didn't see any swords in any of the aforementioned photos. Can someone tell me where to look? Better yet, link the damn thing.

#2596 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

This is going to sound nitpicky, but I worry about that left sleeve armor. I can see it becoming a "trademark" for Conan, like Michael Jackson'e glove. I wonder if JM is wearing it to hide extensive tattoos.

I've been wondering for a rather long time why a movie actor would get tattoos. Would a professional actor be oblivious to the possibility that tattoos could get in the way of future roles? Could CGI get rid of tattoos?

Edited by Ironhand, 10 May 2010 - 10:37 PM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#2597 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:39 PM

Yeah, they didn't need to sleeve his whole arm. A simple leather bracer or wrapping would work fine. Maybe thats his weak arm and they're concerned that it's too small. HA!

#2598 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

"It all looks like a LARP (sorry but it does.. I've been LARPing for over 10 years and all those sets and clothes look extremely like the better LARPs i've been too.. down to the sword design of the oakley wearing barbarian)"

Again, WHERE IS THE SWORD?!?! I didn't see any swords in any of the aforementioned photos. Can someone tell me where to look? Better yet, link the damn thing.

Posted Image

I've been wondering for a rather long time why a movie actor would get tattoos. Would a professional actor be oblivious to the possibility that tattoos could get in the way of future roles? Could CGI get rid of tattoos?

Even makeup can get rid of tattoos. The only difficulty you have is to pick the "opposite" (red tattoo you take a greenish makeup) colour of the underlying tattoo. In Jasons case, his tattoo is in one colour, so it should not be the problem to cover it up with simple makeup and do some afterwork with CGI, if it still shows through.

Edited by Waldgeist, 10 May 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#2599 Head-On-A-Pike

Head-On-A-Pike

bleeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

I'm pretty sure make-up's been doing a fine job of covering tattoo's for a long time. Countless big name stars are covered with them these days.

Are we thinking that this is Conan's "uniform" for the movie or something like that? Like Superman's tights, or Indiana Jones' hat? Or Mork from Ork's suspender's? :lol: Or like the furry briefs and boots of the classic-era Marvel comics Conan? Surely he won't be wearing that thing for the duration. As someone mentioned earlier, we are looking at all of this out of any context, not to mention not in the finished form that the filmmakers intend for us to see it in.

I'm hoping there will be at least a couple of costume changes during the course of the film.

Edited by Head-On-A-Pike, 10 May 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#2600 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

I'm pretty sure make-up's been doing a fine job of covering tattoo's for a long time. Countless big name stars are covered with them these days.

Are we thinking that this is Conan's "uniform" for the movie or something like that? Like Superman's tights, or Indiana Jones' hat? Or Mork from Ork's suspender's? :lol: Or like the furry briefs and boots of the classic-era Marvel comics Conan? Surely he won't be wearing that thing for the duration. As someone mentioned earlier, we are looking at all of this out of any context, not to mention not in the finished form that the filmmakers intend for us to see it in.

I'm hoping there will be at least a couple of costume changes during the course of the film.

I think The Lord of the Rings, and other movies like Braveheart had "believable" looking armor and weapons. This, outfit, and even those people wearing costumes around Momoa, look cheap and fake. The pteruges look like cheap vinyl. No matter what Conan wears in this movie, it is important that it is of quality, and that it is also believable, even usable. Not a cheap looking vinyl skirt from Rome.

Edited by Amra, 10 May 2010 - 10:58 PM.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com