Photo

Discuss the Upcoming Conan Film (Conan 2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7156 replies to this topic

#2621 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

I think The Lord of the Rings, and other movies like Braveheart had "believable" looking armor and weapons. This, outfit, and even those people wearing costumes around Momoa, look cheap and fake.

The budgets of The Lord of the Rings and Braveheart were more important than the Conan's. you can't compare the movies. With 250$ million, You will have a ******* great Conan (at least on the screen).

250 for 3 (!!!!!) mega epic movies ;) that is 84 Million for one movie. Which is a) not far away from the Conan project and b ) shooting and producing in New Zealand is more expensive than doing so in Bulgaria, especially if you pay for building up your studio and establishing a completely new special effects studio.

There is no excuse to deliver anything below LOTR level, quality wise (attention to detail) other than the lack of will and talent.

Edited by Waldgeist, 11 May 2010 - 10:23 AM.

Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2622 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

I fully realize that 99% here the die-hard-fans.That's great but whats wrong with you,are you gone mad? we got nearly 20 amateur behind scene pics and you making judgements on the flick already!!! thats silly,boys
This is hollywoщd!!! they can take piece of shit from the street and turn it to a star!!!

All we've seen is 2 pics of Momoa and extras!
What about Lang,Perlman,Nichols,Sapp costumes? some genuine characters? Doubt that they are wearaing TJMAXX stuff ;) Those who make this movie professionals after all!!! I think they asked themselves if that sleeve would be ok! so there must be a reason for it to stay! Doubt that they are stupid.

All we have here is nearly 100 people taking part in discussion!!!100!!!! think about that vast army of conan fans and even bigger army of Fantasy fans - filmmakers consider all of us- so it wont be dissapointing

be more positive

p.s. I can see it already overdo the Milius movie(which is a shame of REH age :angry: )

Edited by Serg, 11 May 2010 - 08:39 AM.

#2623 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

Well, you're right, and for my part, I am not so critical of Momoa. In fact, I feel sorry for him. He is in the same situation as Lex Barker doing Tarzan. It is really truly not his fault. If he was the biggest REH fan in existence and came to Howard Days every year, it wouldn't affect the scripts produced by these airheaded directors and producers. So, I hope Jason can do his thing to his very best ability, and maybe he can hope for a decent sequel that IS based on Howard, assuming they continue him as Conan and don't blame any failure this film may face on him particularly.

#2624 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Well, you're right, and for my part, I am not so critical of Momoa. In fact, I feel sorry for him. He is in the same situation as Lex Barker doing Tarzan. It is really truly not his fault. If he was the biggest REH fan in existence and came to Howard Days every year, it wouldn't affect the scripts produced by these airheaded directors and producers. So, I hope Jason can do his thing to his very best ability, and maybe he can hope for a decent sequel that IS based on Howard, assuming they continue him as Conan and don't blame any failure this film may face on him particularly.

And thats OUR JOB to make the sequel happen.No matter what.Momoa has great looks of young Conan.At the end this aint drama-we need action blood and dark lights(not osacr aiming movie)We'll see how it works.

p.s.I can assure you-there will be atleast one man who liked the final thing ;)

that would me!!!HAHAH im crazy!!!! Conan-forever :)

Edited by Serg, 11 May 2010 - 08:48 AM.

#2625 O'win Of Ghalia

O'win Of Ghalia

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:57 AM

Only hope I hold if a sequel is green lit is that Momoa buffs up more and there's a time period that passes so they can add fake scars and make up over his tats

#2626 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

p.s. I can see it already overdo the Milius movie(which is a shame of REH age :angry: )

Or it will elevate the Milius movie to an even higher cult status. :lol:

#2627 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

;) hope not it just has nothing to do with Howard except of "Conan" mantioned

p.s.wheel of pain-AAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by Serg, 11 May 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#2628 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

be more positive

Why?

Every time, and I mean EVERY single time a new piece of information has come out, it's been disappointing.

What possible reason is there to be positive?

The casting sheet?

The script?

The director?

The cast?

EVERY move these people have made has betrayed at best a total lack of interest in Howard stories, ideas, and themes, & at worst an active disdain.

#2629 nephron

nephron

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:37 AM

I dunno man. Marvel Comic Book Thor is unto Thor what Milius, Doppenheimer, & Max A. Keller is unto Conan.

Marvel Thor is ok, but the whole thing'd be a lot better if Stan & Jack had cared a little more about the source material. The same way Milius' Conan is ok as long as you're not a fan of REH.

The Milius script can actually be viewed as a reversal of what Marvel did to Thor. Marvel took a character from German fairy tales and Icelandic sagas, and made him into a science fantasy character. Milius did the opposite. Now, I mean, Howard and Lovecraft and Smith were writing stories with a lot of horror and science fantasy in them, much closer in spirit to Edgar Rice Burroughs than to Grimm's Fairy tales. Milius turned Howard's pulp-fantasy character into basically a fairy tale. I mean, a very R rated, sleazy kind of fairy tale, but still, it is easy to see why guys who saw that film when they were little boys were impressed by the simple storyline, like a German fairy tale. And by the time Milius made the film, Conan had been turned into a Marvel science fantasy even more than Howard, but Milius reduced him back to something far more primitive than Howard would have conceived. Comparing Howard to Milius is like comparing Howard to The Vinland Saga. Milius is atavistic in that sense. A bunch of really dumb-as-logs dudes doing really stupid, brutal stuff, and getting totally screwed for it-- that is what Milius shares with the Icelandic sagas. But he doesn't share all that with REH. IMHO. :huh:

OK.

Then what Max A. Keller (producer of the live-action "Conan" TV series) did unto Conan is about the exact same thing Marvel has done to Thor.

Keller & Co. took a rich, violent, colorful character who embodied certain themes and watered him down and neutered him to the point he was no longer the same character. They ignored everything the character and his world was about, and completely remade him from the ground up as a less violent, less primal, less interesting character so they could market him to kids.

Precisely what Marvel did to Thor.

EDIT: At least Keller didn't put "Conan" in dotted baby-blue leotards. I love Stan & Jack but they should have left Thor alone.

Edited by nephron, 11 May 2010 - 11:22 AM.

#2630 Beirla

Beirla

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

250 for 3 (!!!!!) mega epic movies ;) that is 84 Million for one movie. Which is a) not far away from the Conan project and b ) shooting and producing in New Zealand is more expensive than doing so in Bulgaria, especially if you pay for building up your studio and establishing a completely new special effects studio.

There is no excuse to deliver anything below LOTRO level, quality wise (attention to detail) other than the lack of will and talent.

LOTRO ? Lord of the Ring Online ? :lol: ;)

The LOTR trilogy is 10 years old. The same movies now will be more expansive. 150 million or 200 per movie I think. But, yes, Weta and Peter Jackson rules.

#2631 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:43 AM

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/ (scroll down to third post)

http://chud.com/arti...ONAN/Page1.html

Edited by timeless, 11 May 2010 - 09:44 AM.

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#2632 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

;) hope not it just has nothing to do with Howard except of "Conan" mantioned

Just like this new movie.;)

#2633 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

There is no excuse to deliver anything below LOTRO level, quality wise (attention to detail) other than the lack of will and talent.

LOTRO ? Lord of the Ring Online ? :lol: ;)

The LOTR trilogy is 10 years old. The same movies now will be more expansive. 150 million or 200 per movie I think. But, yes, Weta and Peter Jackson rules.

Yeah.. that's what you get for working in the MMO industry... i've been making this mistake for years now.. grmbl when i want to say LOTR is say LOTRO because I talk about it a lot more :D

#2634 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:46 AM

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/ (scroll down to third post)

http://chud.com/arti...ONAN/Page1.html

I've read those article! Author is a bitch! Never knew one can be so poisoned!
Especcially on lisa Bonet! MotherF@cker

Edited by Serg, 11 May 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#2635 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

Sorry, I know these are unofficial, unlighted, un-CGI pics but he is still not doing it for me. Conan the nice guy, Conan the pec-guy, I'm wondering if he'll have a headband to hold his hair back. If it's playing Conan as a 15 year old I could maybe buy it but I'm still getting no sense of "danger" about this character

#2636 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image

Kids at Nu boyana.One of Conan swords.Nice looking design IMO
That skull looks very cool on the handle-reminds me of frazetta paintings!

Edited by Serg, 11 May 2010 - 11:46 AM.

#2637 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image

Looks a little like the Father's Sword from CTB.

#2638 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:50 AM

be more positive

Okay. I'm positive that this movie is going to suck.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2639 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

Looks a little like the Father's Sword from CTB.

Looks like a rubber LARP sword with drybrushed blade, from this angle of course.

Edited by Waldgeist, 11 May 2010 - 12:01 PM.

#2640 Serg

Serg

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:06 PM

Damn you,people!!! Does anybody have to say actually something good? :angry: