Photo

Discuss the Upcoming Conan Film (Conan 2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7156 replies to this topic

#3261 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

TRUTH THAT HURTS:

that's an ironic title for sheer speculation.

#3262 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:47 PM

Well I simply find profoundly DISHONEST the attitude of the responsibles in this film project.

I don't see why I couldn't lay my own scenario to illustrate how we MAY have ended up here.

Is it only a fraction AS BAD as lying to the fans with all this "adapting the original stories" BS ?

#3263 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Is it only a fraction AS BAD as lying to the fans with all this "adapting the original stories" BS ?

what have they said about adapting the original stories?

#3264 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

I advise everyone involved to COOL IT.
While you're cooling off, please read this:
http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=3496
These are the rules that you agree to abide by when you joined here.

#3265 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

what have they said about adapting the original stories?

The funniest question of the year ;)

They only promised -in the very beginning, must I precise?- a direct adaptation of some Howard story (ies) then announced a remake, to finally serve us a indigest soup with bit's 'n pieces of sloppily chopped up comicbook elements and previous live film inspiration.

One vile brew to say the least.

It's not even worth getting mad, HISTORY repeats itself painfully, as always. Look at what happened with Thomas & Conway's scenario in CTD? Hollywood know-it-alls just botched it up any old way.
The latest revision of the 2011 "Conan" script (and the revisions weren't so different one from the other, just added or removed secondary elements and name changes) gives us what looks like a rework of KALIDOR's script (Red Sonja) but centered around Conan.
ughhh.

Edited by krommtaar, 24 June 2010 - 06:17 PM.

#3266 Rock

Rock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Did anybody see it,guys?
P.S. I've got some problems with attaching of this image
You can see it here

Edited by Rock, 24 June 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#3267 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Did anybody saw it,guys?
You can see it here

We must be members of that particular forum to see the attached elements, try to upload it for us.

(tebe nado tolko registrirovatsa, tovorish ;) )

Edited by krommtaar, 24 June 2010 - 06:26 PM.

#3268 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Monk,you proved to be a self-centered man, who consider only those who have near a thousand comments...and done great work and research...blablabla....I sence CLEAR disrescpect in your lines.
Stampfer was eager to share his thoughts and hopes and what he got instead? Thats sick! What, if a guy didnt read anything original he doesnt have rights to post?
You dont wan't to see that "WE" over here -if it makes you sweaty just close your eyes and read your own posts like you always do. I dont mind being called someone's brother in here :) which means connection between REH fans can be real and something WE can hold on to.

And thats IMO whats this forum and site stands for - something that you DONT GET, mr.Bitterman

This is an unwarranted attack on Monk, he did not say that Stampfer's opinion is not welcome, he said that it holds less weight than someone who has read Mr. Howard's work when talking about a movie based on (allegedly) and carrying the name of one of Howard's characters.

Just because Stampfer agrees with you, does not mean that he is right.

DROC

NONONO!!! thats not the reason of my accusation! Highliting specific names ( like mine and stampfer's) and marking them with somekind of "secondary-importance "cliches! Thats whats I see there!

you are way off base.

And what's good is, I can PROVE you are way off base.

Who would you hire to build your home.

Someone who loves seeing pictures of leggo replicas of the deathstar, maybe even has built one, and even has a poster on their wall and plays leggo star wars, or someone who has a degree in architecture and understands physics of building materials?

how about heart surgery? someone who has seen a few pictures of a heart being operated on, and can appreciate the cinematic angles used during the filming, the sound of the doctor discussing the operation and calling out instructions, or someone who is titled as a cardiac surgeon.

how about geography. Perhaps you love the idea of a flat earth. You have held this opinion for years, in your imagination a flat earth looks soooooo cool!! and you have every right to think so. But you are wrong about the shape of the earth, and you can be informed about the fact that no the earth is not flat it is an oblate spheroid. technically. unless you grow up in Kansas. Sorry, cheap shot.

what you and others are failing to consider is that Robert E Howard and his creations have come under the wing of scholarly work and this work has repaired quite a bit of damage to his legacy. This work is available now for public consumption and is ongoing. A lot of this info you can access through this website. There is a whole sub forum discussing the original stories just below. Fans such as myself have the luxury of enjoying and absorbing this work and we can note that it has been a rather painstaking process to bring REH and his work into it's proper shape and a task made all the more difficult by the exact same kind of treatments and shoddy attempts at capturing a character WHO ALREADY EXISTS, then changing him for some gratuitous vacuous reason, that you are being so optimistic about.

You, just as anyone, is entitled to an opinion and I carefully made it clear that was also my view. However, everyone can also see the difference between informed opinion, and uninformed. I don't particularly feel as though an uninformed opinion is much more than that- uninformed, hence why I mentioned that I would love to see Stampfer- who admitted he hadn't read the original stories, and then constructed an example using his own enjoyment of Bond- inform himself as to what and who Conan is supposed to be. Honestly I don't see what the problem is there. I make no further conclusions or distinctions about him or you, I certainly wouldn't psychoanalyze anyone lmao as to their card carrying status amongst the fabled "Bittermen" lol. If he was familiar with the original stories then, he might be more apt to concede the point that yes, people who are familiar with the character do in fact have grounds upon which to make criticisms, however (gasp) negative they may be- and also, they may be justifiable all things considered.

Or he might still hold to a wait and see or I can still enjoy this movie and find things to like whatever it is kind of position- which I can respect, but the difference, and I hope you see it, is that now his position will be INFORMED.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3269 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Everyone has their reasons to be interested in a Conan movie. One could be they are a general fantasy fan and they just love (for totally non gay reasons), to see strong muscled men to hurl swords into the bodies of other strong muscled men.

Here is a compiled list of reasons why people (REH and fantasy and movie fans combined) could maybe be negative about this production:

• Producer known to pretty much make B movies
  • Director known for cheap remakes or below average movies
  • DOP is from Germany TV, which is known for the worst lit series and tv-movies in europe (seriously, I am not joking, I am German, I have to endure the crap every day... every 10 years there is a pearl like Das Boot or Der Untergang, but 99% of what is done by German TV or German Cinema is horrible.)
  • A large part of the lead actors come from a B list of TV shows (not judging, just a fact)
  • The leaked script changed the character alltogether (timeline, situations, basic character motivation, description, behaviour)
  • The leaked script had a 10 year revenge crazyness as it's driving factor
  • The leaked script had an X-Men III ending
  • The leaked script <add anything that can be bad or Hollywood cliche about a script and you will most likely find it in the old version of the script>
  • To some people, Jason Momoa is not muscled enough, to lanky or whatever
  • The movie had the shortest pre-production I've ever seen for a fantasy movie
  • The costumes we've seen so far are very low quality, cheap cliche Hollywood fantasy coming straight from the 80's. Nothing believeable, well constructed or realistically lived in to see SO FAR(!)
  • The story synopsis shows that the story of the movie has nothing to do with REH on any level - No Mr. Malmberg, it's not a slight change to appeal to mass media or the needs of the genre, like in Age of Conan, it's a different world, filled with different characters, doing different things - (characters, timeline, nature of the Hyborian Age, names, facts)

Now: Not every point is noteworthy or not everyone will agree to every point.

I just listed what over time enraged some people in the community. Pick your points or see if you can ignore them. Many of them are vague enough that I personally can still have a LITTLE bit of hope to see at least a proper Conan pastiche on screen.

Most things on that long list are just a starting point. The DOP can surprise us (maybe he just did a bad job in German TV because of money and time constraints and is otherwise a genius in lighting), the director has a lot of potential to shoot a beautiful movie, the rewrite could've changed some of the nagging points and even improve on the errors in time, character, solution etc.. Nearly every of the uncertain points could change, come out differently than we fear.

But after reviewing the upper list, no one in the right mind, being a movie fan, can still stand up straight and tell us "hey you have no reason to be sceptical, all looks bright and shiny". Of course you can still HOPE for a good movie, but stop telling us we are fools because we are a bit scared of what's coming based on the facts listed above. Even if you don't give rats ass about REH, or the original Conan stories, do you want to be fed yet another boring, one dimensional, revenge based Hollywood plot fantasy movie? Really? Didn't we have enough of those already? Enough silly movies that had no depth, no meaning, no production values, no nothing to them, then naked men hacking each other to pieces, in the 80's?

I certainly think we did!

Cheers,
Waldgeist
PS: Again i'd like to stress that nearly no one is bashing this project based on assumptions. Most of the my critical fellow shield brothers just judge what is put in FRONT of them. Set shots, costume shots, leaked script, story synopsis and the like. We are not crazed "fanatics" going completely mad on hints. We have actual material, that we are allowed to review and judge, based on what we see right in front of us.

thank you dogbrother.

I'd also add that the gratuitous uses of ReH's names and places, stripped of their context, basically torpedoes future attempts to more closely hew to canon. At the very least, makes it very difficult, because like it or not this movie is going to add to the public mythology of Conan.

How are they going to do Queen of the Black Coast? Red Nails? Scarlet Citadel?
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3270 Rock

Rock

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Did anybody saw it,guys?
You can see it here

We must be members of that particular forum to see the attached elements, try to upload it for us.

I tried paste the image URL,but there is some problems :You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board
I don't know the reason.Is here any possibility to upload this picture by some another way?

#3271 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:51 PM

They only promised -in the very beginning, must I precise?- a direct adaptation of some Howard story (ies) then announced a remake, to finally serve us a indigest soup with bit's 'n pieces of sloppily chopped up comicbook elements and previous live film inspiration.

i was unaware that they had ever promised a direct adaptation of a Howard story.

#3272 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

i was unaware that they had ever promised a direct adaptation of a Howard story.

I understand, it all depends when you started reading the news and the thread of course.
As I said "stirring the fans round and round in the juice, telling them ONE THING AND IT'S OPPOSITE"

The best way to make a "buzz" on the web. <_<

Edited by krommtaar, 24 June 2010 - 06:58 PM.

#3273 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:58 PM

Did anybody saw it,guys?
You can see it here

I tried paste the image URL,but there is some problems :You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board
I don't know the reason.Is here any possibility to upload this picture by some another way?

Could you more or less describe the image?

#3274 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'll do better than describe it , here you go:

Posted Image

There is that CGI aftertaste in this heavily photoshopped promo pic (as in all the blockbusters nowadays anyway) , unlike the more natural looking, almost western like pics from the Milius film.

#3275 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

It's definately got a surreal "300"-vibe. Momoa looks awesome!!

Thanks for the upload, krommattar.

Edited by stonecold-mike, 24 June 2010 - 07:43 PM.

#3276 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Posted Image

There is that CGI aftertaste in this heavily photoshopped promo pic (as in all the blockbusters nowadays anyway) , unlike the more natural looking, almost western like pics from the Milius film.

:( I think I'm gonna watch CTB tonight...

#3277 indestructibleman

indestructibleman

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:21 PM

that looks quite badass.

#3278 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

Good pic, but Jason "Conan" Momoa is looking more Stygian or Aphaki than Cimmerian, IMO.

#3279 Odoakris

Odoakris

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

Sorry, but I think it's a strange pose and strange composition. Lens flare effect on the sword :rolleyes: . Very unnatural looking clouds... What's with the front leg? Where is he standing on? is he jumping in the air? I want to see the bottom part of the picture.
His hair looks strange... he looks more like a Sumerian than a Cimmerian.
I would really like to see some pics of Rachel Nichols now. I'll still go see the movie just for her :)

#3280 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

[quote name='Odoakris' date='24 June 2010 - 08:15 PM' timestamp='1277406921' post='161689']
[quote name='krommtaar' date='24 June 2010 - 08:16 PM' timestamp='1277403365' post='161686']

Posted Image

[/quote]

I have 2 problems with this. His hair has way too much gel, and the gleam on the blade is inconsistent with where the sun is behind him.... Other than that it's not bad. He's bloody and dirty and looks @#&$ing pissed. Not bad at all.