Photo

Discuss the Upcoming Conan Film (Conan 2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7156 replies to this topic

#2561 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:09 AM

I'd love to lend a hand, and I've already spread the word to all my friends - including those with no idea about Howard - that this movie is going to suck. I don't think it's going to make a dent on the door though. We need people like Mark Finn at the helm.

#2562 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:41 PM

Posted Image

#2563 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:48 PM

Posted Image

Damn! I have to get credit where credit's due. Although its hard to tell under all of those clothes, he does look considerably more bulked up under there.

Conan's hair is straight black, not wavy brown. I hope that's not the hair that he'll be wearing in the film. Its less faithful to REH than Arnold's natural hair. It needs to be dyed and straightened.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2564 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

Aldo Signoretti is in charge for Conan's hair (Tv series "Rome", Apocalypto...):
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0797532/
So, I think, we can expect unexpected ;) B) .

#2565 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:32 AM

Conan's hair is straight black, not wavy brown. I hope that's not the hair that he'll be wearing in the film. Its less faithful to REH than Arnold's natural hair. It needs to be dyed and straightened.

QFT dude. Q F T
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#2566 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

He looks great!! I can deal with the weavy hair, just like James Purefoy's Solomon Kane.

#2567 korak

korak

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,713 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:31 AM

I don't know--- that's not very adaptive or imaginative. There seems to be this idea of "just looking yourself", which is a fine philosophy in every day life, but when you get the chance to play a legendary fictional hero with a very impressive and reasonably consistent artistic tradition like Conan, it might be advisable to try for something a little more than mere commonplace.

#2568 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

Woah! Is that really Momoa? I could barely recognize him. At first I thought he was a stunt double and said "they should just have this dude play Conan." I'm a little more optimistic now. I think the plainness is exaggerated here since he's not in costume or on the set. And the smoking nuns are a nice touch.
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#2569 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

I must say, Mo-mo's looking more Conan-like every time we see 'im. Too bad he's being wasted on this movie.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#2570 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

I must say, Mo-mo's looking more Conan-like every time we see 'im. Too bad he's being wasted on this movie.

Thus spake the god of thunder!

Yeah you're right there....it's not Momoa the real problem: it's that f**** FILM and where it's going.
He looks in better shape, even if it's not the raging powerhouse we've been waiting for.

The clumsiness of the hollywoodized script in The Destroyer still could be easily connected to many comicbook elements (but to no novel elements whatsoever), even if in the wrong place with the wrong names etc (Toth Amon in Thuzun Thune's mirror room,Queen Taramis,female version of Zula, etc etc). Why ? For it was a poor rewriting of a Roy Thomas original script (Horn of Azoth).

I wonder what elements could link to the comic books in THIS present 2011 scenario (don't even think about the books)...I'd say NONE, besides the tongue-in-cheek allusion to Conan killing Tetra being possessed by Pathir in marvel comics CTB.
All other elements seem being ripped off Milius' modifications of the myth in the '81 film : slaughtered cimmerians, quest for the big boss, bla bla bla.

If any on the forum see any true links to Howard,tell me , who knows, I may have gone senile.

#2571 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

I agree with Krommtaar and others that Momoa is not a problem; the script is the problem.

JM's hsir doesn't bother me. His brown hair can be dyed black. I don't care if it's wavy; REH says nothing about the texture of Conan's hair except that it's shaggy and square-cut. Straight hair is an invention of various artists. I just don't care, as long as it's not bald, or thin, or crew, or well-groomed.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#2572 Head-On-A-Pike

Head-On-A-Pike

bleeder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

I agree with Krommtaar and others that Momoa is not a problem; the script is the problem.

JM's hsir doesn't bother me. His brown hair can be dyed black. I don't care if it's wavy; REH says nothing about the texture of Conan's hair except that it's shaggy and square-cut. Straight hair is an invention of various artists. I just don't care, as long as it's not bald, or thin, or crew, or well-groomed.

Agreed.

With all of the color tinkering that goes on in post production these days, I'm sure his hair will look plenty black enough in the movie, once everything's been desaturated. I doubt he even needs a dye job. It's rare to see anything in a Hollywood genre movie that hasn't been tweaked to fit a certain overall palate, and once you get into fantastical genres like sci-fi or sword and sorcery, it's a given that the movie will be extensively color-graded.

The Harry Potter series -- particularly more recent installments -- is a prime example.

I think Momoa has a great face for Conan. Looking forward to seeing what he looks like all scarred up and with his eyes tinted blue.

#2573 Bladesmith

Bladesmith

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

Thanks for this pic Mikoza.

I think he looks good. Come on Fred! Where's the big reveal??!

Ahh Eastern Europe, just as I remember it, everywhere brightly coloured buildings, a lovely climate and everyone smoking super-strength ciggies at every opportunity!!

BS

Posted Image

#2574 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Agreed, he looks good. The face is more or less spot on and, as said before, it's hard to tell under the jacket but he seems to have bulked up; his neck looks pretty thick.

Krommtaar, there was a link to an article which listed similarities (or not so much) between Howard's writing and the script as it was originally leaked. They were few and far between, and when present were usually taken out of context. Unfortunately I can't remember what site it was on, but the author was one of our illustrious members.

DROC

#2575 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:15 PM

Agreed, he looks good. The face is more or less spot on and, as said before, it's hard to tell under the jacket but he seems to have bulked up; his neck looks pretty thick.

Krommtaar, there was a link to an article which listed similarities (or not so much) between Howard's writing and the script as it was originally leaked. They were few and far between, and when present were usually taken out of context. Unfortunately I can't remember what site it was on, but the author was one of our illustrious members.

DROC

This was done by Taranaich on his blog that time forgot.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2576 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

That's the one, thanks Waldgeist and sorry Taranaich for forgetting.

DROC

#2577 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Jason Momoa as Conan:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like the brownish hair is in. Maybe it's just me, but the left armor "sleeve" just doesn't seem right for Conan, it looks off balanced. Anyway....

Edited by Amra, 10 May 2010 - 05:27 PM.

"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#2578 Amra

Amra

Lion of the North

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

And Marcus of course:

Posted Image
"But not all men seek rest and peace; some are born with the spirit of the storm in their blood, restless harbingers of violence and bloodshed, knowing no other path."
REH-A Witch Shall Be Born - Amra The Lion.com

#2579 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

*sigh* epic fail Millenium. Those pics are not exactly "selling" even though he looks good. You could have done better, by not being super-secretive about everything :(

Edited by Waldgeist, 10 May 2010 - 06:34 PM.

Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#2580 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:44 PM

Guys....I'm reading reports that Frank Frazetta died this afternoon! :(

Edited by Eamon, 10 May 2010 - 06:45 PM.

I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com