Photo

Discuss the Upcoming Conan Film (Conan 2011)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7156 replies to this topic

#3381 norse_sage

norse_sage

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Chelo on SSH found this on a spanish board:

Posted Image

#3382 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

The thing is that we do not know if it is faithful or not. I would most probably back up those arguments if it turns out to be true. but I can not respect it when we know almost nothing about the movie. At this point it just looks like whining.

For all its worth, I am sure this m ovie will be more faithful to the books than Conan the Destroyer :P And that must count for something.

Cameliya, it's interesting you mention CTD, because it's exactly the other way around compared to what's happening to Conan 2011 :
CTD had IN THE VERY EARLY STAGES OF THE PROJECT a very entertaining scenario written by Thomas & Conway, with the main objective being to please mainly the COMICS reading crowd, still keeping some howardian elements here and there.....but unfortunately the script was perceived by hollywood gurus as too long and too intricate thus it was revised and COMPLETELY rewritten in THE FINAL DRAFT for a "large dumb audience" : all the names, places, characters and events were turned around and f**ed up real bad.
Thomas & Conway being utterly disgusted to see their work caricatured and hacked issued an adaptation of their first original script in 'Horn of Azoth' graphic novel(You can read much more on threads dedicated to CTD)

Here for Conan 2011 we've witnessed a pissing contest of "which script is the worst, the least howardian and the most clich? like" between the successive leaked rewritten scripts that were brought to our attention on the forums at conan.com .
You've noticed the differences were quite minimal if not simple "corrections" (adding or removing small funny elements ).

Someone on the thread said not long ago "I hope we'll see Yag Kosha" : some people are lost in a dreamland I suppose or haven't read anything on the forums concerning the precedent (leaked) scripts.

The original characters created by Howard (Yara, YAg Kosha, Baal-Pteor, Amalric etc etc) GENUINELY don't raise the interest of Hollywood scenarists, GO FIGURE OUT WHY.
What's all this Khalar Zym, MArique etc? Where the hell do they fish out these names?
ISn't there enough material already in the Conan stories?

There's a hell of a lot of new names in the Conan comics, but that's because of the EXTRAPOLATION of the stories: adding new elements to the already existing ones.
Or simply filling out holes in Conan's chronology.

This explanation DOES NOT APPLY to the forecoming film, since it's supposed to be a reboot of Milius' version with a Nispel twist. The twist, script wise, is that it will follow the linesof the '84 film "Red Sonja" : f**ing things up worse than that would be really difficult.

What's left ? Action sequences worth the while? Terrific photography as it was announced? Promises... AGAIN. Wait and see, but don't expect too much neither.

#3383 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Someone on the thread said not long ago "I hope we'll see Yag Kosha" : some people are lost in a dreamland I suppose or haven't read anything on the forums concerning the precedent (leaked) scripts.

Yes krommtaar, I said this, but do you know what means word "irony"? Did you noticed what smileys I put on the end of that statement :D ?
And, I say now...maybe we will see "Frost Giants" in the movie, because upper picture looks to me like Conan hitting something made of ice, because that is definitely no snow...more like frozen water (ice) :D ;) !

#3384 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

...because that is definitely no snow...more like frozen water (ice) :D ;) !

it's obviously excess hair gel.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3385 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

Yes krommtaar, I said this, but do you know what means word "irony"? Did you noticed what smileys I put on the end of that statement :D ?
And, I say now...maybe we will see "Frost Giants" in the movie, because upper picture looks to me like Conan hitting something made of ice, because that is definitely no snow...more like frozen water (ice) :D ;) !

You scared me there, thanks for clarifying!

Yeah seems from the pic in the spanish magazine that Conan just smashed the Mister Freeze mascot to bits.

Edited by krommtaar, 30 June 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#3386 stonecold-mike

stonecold-mike

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

Chelo on SSH found this on a spanish board:

Posted Image

Awesomeness!! It would be great if he's actually swinging that sword at a "frost giant".

#3387 Cameliya

Cameliya

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:01 PM

Wow great shot! Can someone translate what it says?

#3388 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Posted Image

Cleaned up the scan a whee bit.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#3389 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

That's pretty good, actually. Which only makes me sadder.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#3390 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:04 PM

That's the best pic so far - if it's Conan as a teenager. Will he be swinging his sword at a frost giant? Seems highly doubtful given the script leaks so far

#3391 Tairan

Tairan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:08 PM

I think this "ice giant" are just some water drops flying around. That would explain his hair. :>

Reminds me of the new Robin Hood movie.

Edited by Tairan, 30 June 2010 - 06:11 PM.

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind", the borderer said, still staring
somberly at the Cimmerian. "Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of
circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."

#3392 Teutates

Teutates

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

It's basically the same soup as the Nispel interview we've read already:
He says that he "already had his own 'Conan' (film) in head BEFORE watching Milius' version" , that his inspiration comes from "comics, graphic novels, videogames and TV series" and that hence "its' not a mere remake" .

BLABLAblabla yeah sure, he had star wars in mind before George Lucas as well huh? Come on...

BEsides that, a few sentences about Conan being a worldwide phenomenon, he describes his traits of character briefly ( "he battles, slays, makes love without thinking twice i.e. instinctively") and apparently "the film will insist much more on Conan's infancy and youth compared to the preceeding versions".

There is another article on the bottom left, and it states that Nispel could not imagine this film being without Momoa, that he's found the perfect guy for the role... then I don't have the end, perhaps NOrse_sage or Chelo have the missing part of the scan, but frankly who cares about the false publicity Nispel is giving us?

ps: VIDEOGAMES, an inspiration? Holy crap, he's got everything wrong there, Conan MUST be old scool, down to earth, WITHOUT ninjas and wacky teen oriented japanime-videogame elements. WTF?

Edited by krommtaar, 30 June 2010 - 11:25 PM.

#3393 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

It's basically the same soup as the Nispel interview we've read already:
He says that he "already had his own 'Conan' (film) in head BEFORE watching Milius's version" , that his inspiration comes from "comics, graphic novels, videogames and TV series" and that hence "its' not a mere remake" .

BLABLAblabla yeah sure, he had star wars in mind before George Lucas as well huh? Come on...

BEsides that, a few sentences about Conan being a worldwide phenomenon, he describes his traits of character briefly ( "he battles, slays, makes love without thinking twice i.e. instinctively") and apparently "the film will insist much more on Conan's infancy and youth compared to the preceeding versions".

There is another article on the bottom left, and it states that Nispel could not imagine this film being without Momoa, that he's found the perfect guy for the role... then I don't have the end, perhaps NOrse_sage or Chelo have the missing part of the scan, but frankly who cares about the false publicity Nispel is giving us?

ps: VIDEOGAMES, an inspiration? Holy crap, he's got everything wrong there, Conan MUST be old scool, down to earth, WITHOUT ninjas and wacky teen oriented japanime-videogame elements. WTF?

It would be better if this was an adaptation of the AoC video game. At least then the pirates would be Barachan instead of Zamorian. :rolleyes:
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#3394 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

It would be better if this was an adaptation of the AoC video game. At least then the pirates would be Barachan instead of Zamorian. :rolleyes:

so long as he remains faithful to the spirit of X,X,X,Y, if not I will be bitter.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#3395 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:44 AM

...Lang is really b*llsh*tting us hard here (sad to see someone as him giving in these phoney excuses):
...I find this funny to bash the first films and to hope the new flick will encounter as much success as the "original". Pure joke.

WOW...this really IS a tough crowd...looking for every crack they can find...and if they cant find one they create one...yeesh :unsure:

Oh Yeah, we ARE a grim tough hard 'Cimmerian' crowd.
We have been fed false-films and lies for nearly 30 years now !
We can smell bullsh#t from miles away... and when we uncover it, we throw it back.

We care about Howard's magnificent Conan. :)
--

>> Well said KROMMTAAR. :)
--
[ Lang is just doing his job to promote the film. It's part of his contract. They tell him what to do.
It might be interesting to hear what he really thinks about the film, and Howard, in about 5 or 10 years time, eh? ]

#3396 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:16 AM

Posted Image

" By the slime of Thog !
Don't sneeze on me,
you evil laughing nun.
Now bring me my vest, mail shirt, and sheepskin pants, quick.
Before I lose my temper.
oh, and bring a towel, comb and brush for my beautiful long hair... "

[ from 'Pretty, pretty boy Conaaan' - the musical ?? :D ]

#3397 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

he doesn't exactly have the same gravitas that butler had does he.

Edited by monk, 01 July 2010 - 03:00 AM.

#3398 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

[quote name='Seamvs' date='29 June 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1277839705' post='162015']
[quote name='monk' date='29 June 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1277831562' post='162010']
[quote name='monk' date='29 June 2010 - 01:09 PM' timestamp='1277831359' post='162009']
[quote name='droc' date='29 June 2010 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1277820581' post='161998']
[quote name='monk' date='29 June 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1277768569' post='161974']
maybe he's done some ninjitsu training. why not? ninjas have mass appeal.
WHA,Ninjass

worked for batman, wolverine, daredevil...lol at this point why the f not. we had blind archers.

Wolverine training ninjitsu? When?

DROC

maybe I meant fighting ninjas? yeah...fighting ninjas. sorry brother, my bitterness is clouding my memory lol. he did seem to be able to speak japanese out of nowhere though.

wait...in the kitty pryde/wolverine mini series...
[/quote]

Try Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's Wolverine. All kinds of Japanese lore and ninjas. Wolverine also was trained as a Samurai.
[/quote]

I was aware of him being a samurai, which is why I questioned the ninja bit. In most lore, Japanese or pseudo-japanese, they tend not to like each other very much.

DROC

#3399 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Barbarians would have shiny teeth becasue they don't eat tons of sugary crud. But I suppose once Conan got to sample the decadent delights of civilisation dental caries would set in.

Still got white teeth and no cavities. I'm 43. Plenty of "decadent delights" in my backstory. Genetics count for a lot. :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3400 Eamon

Eamon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Looks like they are eager to show us that this movie has lots of action. No bad thing!
I draw stuff.
www.eamonart.com