• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

http://www.fancyfastfood.com/

B)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#2 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:23 AM

For the hot weather try this.....

Gazpacho (cold salad soup)

4 cups tomato juice (or V8 Juice)
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1 med clove garlic, minced
1 med bell pepper, minced
1 med cucumper, peeled, seeded, and minced
juice of 1/2 lemon or whole lime
2 tbs wine vinegar
1/2 tsp each tarragon and basil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup freshly minced parsley (or cilantro)
2-3 tbs olive oil
salt, black pepper, cayenne to taste
2 cups freshly diced tomatoes

combine all ingredients (optional: puree some or all. If you add a slice or two of bread when pureeing it will thicken it.
Chill until very cold

#3 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Here's the post/blog that helped get me fired (:) ):

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?p=4340

Within that issue of Saveur are many, many tasty and authentic Texan recipes. I personally guarantee several. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:00 AM

I make vichyssoise in summer (hot in Florida!)

2 chopped leeks (white section and only a little of the green)
1 chooped white onion
2 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
3/4 cup potato slices (thin)
2 1/3 cups chicken stock
fine salt (to your taste)
black pepper (ditto)
1 1/8 cups whipping cream (use the good stuff)
fresh chive (ONLY fresh)

Soften the leeks and onion in butter, add the potatoes and chicken stock, salt and pepper it, bring to a boil and then back off the heat and simmer ten or fifteen minutes. Let it cool a little then puree it. Put it in the fridge for an hour or more, then mix in the cream and top with fresh chopped chives.

This never lasts long...I've had friends and guests (the female kind ;) ) finish the leftovers the next morning, or at least for lunch. Funny thing is, my family (parents, brother and nephew) heat it up...the concept of 'cold soup' is beyond them. :blink:
All that we see or seem

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#5 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:16 AM

Very interesting, Deuce. I'm squarely in the 'vinegar-based BBQ sauce' camp (Western...Memphis, KS, TX, etc.) as opposed to the 'sugar-based diabetic-shock, GA, AL, Carolinas' style. (I'll have my dessert after dinner, thank you kindly.)

Although, I once met some fellow travelers in a camping ground in Utah and was invited for dinner. Had some amazing chicken with a sweet but really strange and tangy and great flavor. I asked about it and the guy in charge of preparing the feast told me he had marinated it in a mixture which included mead.

I asked him if he had used all of the mead for the marinade, and of course he hadn't. So ol' timeless got to tilt the horn (actually, coffee mugs cleaned in cold Lemhi Pass stream water) that night to his gustatory prowess!
All that we see or seem

#6 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

Okay, here is the absolute best mexican rice you will ever eat.........................

1 onion, minced
1 bunch cilantro (fresh, chopped fine)
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
2 cubes of chicken bouillon
2 jalapeno peppers (fresh, seeded and minced)
2 serrano peppers (fresh, seeded and minced)
2 cups white rice (prefer basmati or texmati)
3 1/2 cups water

sautee the onion, add all ingredients except water and sautee for a bit. Add the water, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 min or so until rice is done. I promise this is the absolute best Mexican rice you will ever have.
The cilantro makes the difference!
You can ease up on the heat by using less jalapenos and serrano peppers but only wimps do that!

#7 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:35 AM

Hey, CK, there is an ex-girlfriend of mine who hated cilantro and had me substitute it with celery leaf.

Which is one of the (many) reasons she's an EX-girlfriend. :D
All that we see or seem

#8 Lord Bear Valentine

Lord Bear Valentine

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:49 PM

Very interesting, Deuce. I'm squarely in the 'vinegar-based BBQ sauce' camp (Western...Memphis, KS, TX, etc.) as opposed to the 'sugar-based diabetic-shock, GA, AL, Carolinas' style. (I'll have my dessert after dinner, thank you kindly.)

Hey, don't lump the Carolinas all together like that! My SC is mostly a mustard-based BBQ state with a little of the pepper-vinegar-based sauces (like they favor in NC) in the Pee Dee areas.

I'm not sure where you're getting the "sugar-based" comment as being applicable to any of the Carolinas, come to think of it. Unless western NC has some of that tomato-based type that you find elsewhere in the country.

#9 Rusty Burke

Rusty Burke

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

I'm not sure where you're getting the "sugar-based" comment as being applicable to any of the Carolinas, come to think of it. Unless western NC has some of that tomato-based type that you find elsewhere in the country.

No, I'd have to say that my experience of Nawthclina barbecue has mostly been of the vinegar-based variety, which also apparently traveled over the mountains to my native East Tennessee.

Rusty

#10 Lord Bear Valentine

Lord Bear Valentine

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

That's what I was thinking but I didn't want to state so unequivocably since I've never sampled Western NC Q myself.

#11 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:55 AM

I travelled all over the Southeast, working out of Atlanta, and I encountered quite a bit of sweet BBQ sauce in GA, AL, MS, LA, SC. You're right about NC, though, it was different up there. I forgot about that mustard based sauce, which is REALLY good stuff. In my native St. Louis they make it too sweet. Some of the best I've had has been in TX, OK, NM (mesquite,) and on Beale Street in Memphis.

When I was working in the desert I used to grab a log or two of dried mesquite when I came across it and tossed them on the fire at night. I about flipped when I returned east and saw how much they charge at the store for some tiny pieces of it!

Try this, boys:

4 ounces minced onion (red or white)
8 ounce can tomato sauce
32 ounces Guinness stout
2 tablespoons mustard (the stone ground works best, to my taste)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
dash of hot sauce (there's your vinegar, but not much)

(you can add a little molasses or brown sugar if your taste buds lean that way, but if so back off on the hot sauce.)

1. Pour 24 ounces of the Guinness in a glass to drink while you mix the rest of the ingredients. B)

2. Combine mustard, 8 oz. Guinness in a blender (slow and creamy) and put it aside.

3. combine everything else in a saucepan and simmer maybe 15 min. Add the mustard/stout and let it simmer another half hour.

4. Salt and pepper to taste and also the hot sauce.

Toss it in a ziploc with beef cuts and, depending on how tender the cuts are, marinated overnight or just a couple hours.

Beer is a natural tenderizer (which is why I'm such a sweetheart of a guy.) :lol:

Also, here's a simple little thing I learned years ago. Take a big yellow onion (the 'squat' shape) and remove the first layer. Dig out a pit in the middle of the top by angling a thin blade into and revolving it (down maybe an inch...get a big onion.) Combine beef or chicken bullion (powder works best) with a little chunk of butter and fill the pit. Wrap it tight in foil and put it on the edge of the grill or campfire. You can sprinkle some cayenne too, or add some finely chopped garlic. When it gets soft, open it carefully over a bowl or plate so you don't lose the juice, slice and pour the juice back on.
All that we see or seem

#12 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hey, CK, there is an ex-girlfriend of mine who hated cilantro and had me substitute it with celery leaf.

Which is one of the (many) reasons she's an EX-girlfriend. :D

That is completely understandable!!!

#13 Cap'n Kidd

Cap'n Kidd

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:22 AM

By the way Timeless I'm sure the 32 oz of Guinness Stout is the secret ingredient!! I will give it a try!! Twist my arm!

#14 Lord Bear Valentine

Lord Bear Valentine

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:33 PM

I travelled all over the Southeast, working out of Atlanta, and I encountered quite a bit of sweet BBQ sauce in GA, AL, MS, LA, SC. You're right about NC, though, it was different up there. I forgot about that mustard based sauce, which is REALLY good stuff.

Hmmm, not sure where in SC you got sweet BBQ sauce as the state is primarily a mustard-based Q (pulled pork of course!) state with a little of the pepper-vinegar ("Kingstree style") down in the Pee Dee. Maybe you had the sweet ketchup-based stuff at a chain? If not, I notice a lot of the local Q huts will have a variety of sauces out now for sampling...almost always a mustard-based and a pepper-vinegar sauce, and sometimes a darker variety as well. The put the darker stuff out for the yankees. :)

I could hook you up with some wonderful SC Q if you were still traveling though...if you're back this way, just lemme know and I'll suggest a few places.

Btw, you can get the best mustard based Q sauce by mail...see the link below:

http://www.mauricesbbq.com/

And, this mustard sauce is not bad either, it's out of Charleston:

http://www.stickyfin...om/default.aspx

#15 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,139 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

Today's National Fried Chicken Day. :D Having sampled fried chicken all over the South and down into TX, I still have to say that the best is right here in Crawford County, KS. With just a population of around 20,000 in the entire county, FIVE "chicken houses" (all of them 50yrs old or older) maintain a steady business here, drawing customers from all the surrounding counties (including Missouri). All of them were started by Italian and German immigrant miners who drew upon their own traditions of deep frying to come up with some great chicken (and some awesome side dishes).

Sorry, no recipes. ;)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#16 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

nice, i m hungry

Welcome to the Official REH Forum, weblegend!
Please introduce yourself at Hello To All New Members !
Thanks!

#17 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:45 AM

This was pretty amazing. I made it Saturday eve for a friend of a friend (and she is becoming more 'friendly' ;) .)

10 peeled potatoes sliced thin
2 onions (ditto)
3 tins of anchovy fillets (the flat ones, drained...but save the brine)
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons bread crumbs or crumbled croutons
2 tablespoons butter (NOT margarine)
2 bottles of chilled chardonnay

Open the first bottle of chard and get a glass in ya before she arrives (makes you feel more charming :lol: )

Preheat oven to 475 F.

Lube a baking dish with some of the butter, then layer the potats and onions and anchovies to fill the dish, finishing with the taters on top.

Pour about two-thirds of the cream and then the anchovy brine over it, cover it with the breadcrumbs and the rest of the butter (slice squares then quarter, place around the top.) Bake for half an hour, pour the remaining 1/3 cup of cream over it and back in the oven for another fifteen minutes.

Drink the rest of the first bottle of chardonnay with her while dropping a few hints at how complex the recipe for dinner is, letting her know she's worth the effort B) .

Serve it with the second bottle of chard and your best subtly suggestive jokes. :D
All that we see or seem

#18 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

How about some Texas Chili? Any secret family recipes?

#19 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

Here's one for JMR and Decius Caecillius Metellus. The Romans were very fond of well-cooked dormice. For those of us who just don't know where to find a good dormouse nowadays, you can substitute chicken. I got this from a site titled Ancient Roman Recipes.

"You don't have to prepare and cook a Giraffe or a Flamingo to have an Ancient Roman meal, try something smaller ~ like a dormouse. But with chicken! Let's face it, dormice are hard to come by these days.

You can use chicken wings in any recipe which calls for quails, and replace dormice with chicken drumsticks.

Apicius directs that the dormouse meat be pounded with pepper, and placed in an earthenware bowl with caraway, cumin, bay leaves, dates, honey, vinegar, wine, liquamen and olive oil, then roasted in the oven. Like all Roman recipes, no measurement of any ingredient is offered and no cooking time stated. Fortunately, we know how to cook chicken.

Chicken substitute Let's coat some chicken drumsticks in a mixture of flour, caraway seed, 2 tsps cumin seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle, 2 tsps sweet paprika and 2 bay leaves. Toss the drumsticks in the mixture (in a plastic bag), add oil, toss again and leave for the flavours to mingle for a least two hours, or overnight.

Make a bed of the marinade in a roasting pan, place the chicken on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer pushed into the thickest part releases only clear juice."

Enjoy.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#20 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

I don't have room in my freezer for a giraffe. I will substitute bandicoot. ;)

The Romans made a sauce with fermented fish, similar to that which you get in Asian fish sauces. Great minds think alike, I guess.