9 replies to this topic

#1 skeletorjr

skeletorjr

Overlord of the Undercooked

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

Hello, I've got a question which I'm sure has been asked and answered here before, but I can't seem to find it. I've got four of the Wildside Press Weird Works of Robert E. Howard books, I've had them a few years now. I've noticed that there is a line of smaller, mass market paperbacks published by Cosmos and then later Leisure Books with the same series title. although the volume titles seem to be somewhat different. Are these the same books? Do the contents match up from volume to volume? I would love to have new REH books in the mass paperback format but I'm wondering if these are all the same as the Wildside books I've already got. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a hand with this.

#2 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hello, I've got a question which I'm sure has been asked and answered here before, but I can't seem to find it. I've got four of the Wildside Press Weird Works of Robert E. Howard books, I've had them a few years now. I've noticed that there is a line of smaller, mass market paperbacks published by Cosmos and then later Leisure Books with the same series title. although the volume titles seem to be somewhat different. Are these the same books? Do the contents match up from volume to volume? I would love to have new REH books in the mass paperback format but I'm wondering if these are all the same as the Wildside books I've already got. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a hand with this.

The Cosmos series was contracted out by Wildside, based on the Wildside series. However, the Cosmos series has only about 60% of the content of the Wildside series. Hence, the Wildside series is ten volumes, the Cosmos series is five volumes.

It is my understanding that the Cosmos series had a print run of 10K per book, all five books are available, and they are available pretty much anywhere. The Wildside series still has I believe two volumes to go. Same text in both series, edited by someone highly skilled at it, and of course good looking, but thankfully modest as well. ;)

#3 skeletorjr

skeletorjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for the info! I really appreciate that. I'm still debating, I may buy them anyway, I like having REH in smaller form for stuffing in a bag to take to work or on a trip.

#4 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Thank you for the info! I really appreciate that. I'm still debating, I may buy them anyway, I like having REH in smaller form for stuffing in a bag to take to work or on a trip.

You can compare the contents over at http://www.howardworks.com/publish.htm

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#5 skeletorjr

skeletorjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

You can compare the contents over at http://www.howardworks.com/publish.htm

Terry

This is great! Thank you very much.

#6 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Vol 1 of the Cosmos mass market paperback is technically out of print for a while now. Better get these now!

Morgan

This is great! Thank you very much.

Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#7 Carcosa

Carcosa

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

It is my understanding that the Cosmos series had a print run of 10K per book, all five books are available, and they are available pretty much anywhere. The Wildside series still has I believe two volumes to go. Same text in both series, edited by someone highly skilled at it, and of course good looking, but thankfully modest as well. ;)

No sir....I had no involvement in this series whatsoever. That sure sounds like me though.

#8 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

No sir....I had no involvement in this series whatsoever. That sure sounds like me though.

As it would most of our members. :rolleyes:

#9 docpod

docpod

Fungus Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:45 AM

I was at the Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller (edwardrhamilton.com) site tonight and noticed that he/they have copies of the Cosmos paperbacks- marked down. So, here is a chance to get some nice mass market paperbacks for on the go when you need some travelling REH.

Morgan
Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

#10 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:30 AM

I was collecting all of these, but then i realised the Del Reys were about as complete a set as anyone would need...so i opted to just get a complete set of those!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!