1289 replies to this topic

#1241 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

Michael J. Bassett mentioned this recent Salon.Com review of "Solomon Kane." So, here it is. There's some snide, inane comments about a "suicidal Robert E. Howard" and some bizarre reference to it's failure due to studio bean counters and the political careers of Republican governors. Salon, you should know, is mostly a progressive political site, so maybe there's a connection. Still, I stand with the author in his contention that "Kane" was a much better film than "Conan" and deserved a wider (much wider) release.

Solomon Kane, a grim demon-slaying pilgrim in a slouch hat, is one of Howard's more inspired creations, but the character hasn't exactly launched the careers of any Republican governors

Reference to Arnold. Doesn't seem bizarre...

#1242 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

Michael J. Bassett mentioned this recent Salon.Com review of "Solomon Kane." So, here it is. There's some snide, inane comments about a "suicidal Robert E. Howard" and some bizarre reference to it's failure due to studio bean counters and the political careers of Republican governors. Salon, you should know, is mostly a progressive political site, so maybe there's a connection.

The comments certainly are. They read the part where Kane orders that none of the "putrid heathens" of the North African fortress should live, and immediately thought "oh, so the film is calling Muslims putrid heathens whose minarets are haunted by demons, no WONDER the film didn't get picked up for release." Completely ignoring the fact that this takes place at the beginning of the film, where Kane was the BAD GUY.

Still, I stand with the author in his contention that "Kane" was a much better film than "Conan" and deserved a wider (much wider) release.

To be frank, there are very few films released this year that weren't better than "Conan." I do think it very strange it didn't get a wider release, and I have seen much worse films.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#1243 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:09 AM

They read the part where Kane orders that none of the "putrid heathens" of the North African fortress should live, and immediately thought "oh, so the film is calling Muslims putrid heathens whose minarets are haunted by demons, no WONDER the film didn't get picked up for release." Completely ignoring the fact that this takes place at the beginning of the film, where Kane was the BAD GUY.

The guy who wrote the article actually pipes up in the comments to say that desecrated sites of worship appear more than once. Which would be a cool point, if the fortress in the opening were actually a mosque...because everyone knows mosques have throne rooms full of treasure complete with the corpse of a dead king lying on the ground...right? Say what you will about other aspects, but there's absolutely nothing in the movie that you could construe as racist even if you tried really hard.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#1244 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

I saw SK for the second time last night on swedish cable channel and it was better second time. I could look past the holy Kane in origin story but later in the film Kane was pretty awesome. Visually, action wise it was better than i remembered.

Not a very good film but still not weaker than most historical films out today that got wider realese than Kane like Centurion etc

#1245 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:19 PM

I watched SK last night. I found it very enjoyable, but it seemed to take place in an England that is pure fantasy, not the real England with fantasy elements. After the North African sequence we go to England in 1601, where Solomon is hiding out in a monastery. In the real England Henry VIII had abolished the monasteries and abbeys a generation earlier. Kane falls in with what appears to be a Puritan family, one member of which wears a cross suspended from his neck (an important plot element). A real Puritan would have cut off his own hand before hanging a cross around his neck. We have Solomon kneeling before a crucifix. Admittedly it's in a ruined church but the priest is still there and apparently the destruction was wrought by the baddies, not the king's minions. It's possible that Solomon's family were secret Catholics, but in the real England of 1601 all trappings of Roman Catholicism had to be kept hidden.
Still a good movie, though.

#1246 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

A Puritan would not hang a cross on his neck? Could you explain that? Would a Puritan carry a crucifix?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#1247 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Puritans regarded crosses, crucifixes, statues of saints, holy relics, chalices, priestly robes and all other trappings of Roman Catholicism to be idolatrous. Other Protestant sects were almost as rigid. The veneration of saints, especially of Mary, was regarded as blatant superstition and even stained-glass windows were despised. The Church of England did not call itself Protestant and kept up many of the trappings of Catholicism, but did not acknowledge the primacy of the Pope. But even the C of E greatly toned down the role of saints in religion. Many of these Protestant bans on religious symbols were retained in America clear into the 20th century in America.

#1248 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:14 AM

watch the Crucible if you want a good idea of how stupid puritan beliefs were, the people were nuts

#1249 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Puritans regarded crosses, crucifixes, statues of saints, holy relics, chalices, priestly robes and all other trappings of Roman Catholicism to be idolatrous. Other Protestant sects were almost as rigid. The veneration of saints, especially of Mary, was regarded as blatant superstition and even stained-glass windows were despised. The Church of England did not call itself Protestant and kept up many of the trappings of Catholicism, but did not acknowledge the primacy of the Pope. But even the C of E greatly toned down the role of saints in religion. Many of these Protestant bans on religious symbols were retained in America clear into the 20th century in America.

You just shot full of holes my alternate story of the origin of Solomon Kane. Oh, well... :mellow:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#1250 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

'SOLOMON KANE' [ 2009 film ] [ on dvd ]

First, I must emphasise that this is NOT a film about the Solomon Kane character of R.E.Howard !
It should not be called Solomon Kane, because it is about a different character with a weird invented origins story. [ I will refer to him as 'Sorrowman' ]

But, if you view it as a whole tale about another character [ who is sometimes similar to REH-Kane ] then it is a well made and quite good grim Sword & Sorcery film.

/////////////////////// some SPOILERs //////////////////////////
There are some very good bits.
I particularly enjoyed :

...the grabbing demons in the mirrors. [ Adventurers Rule #27: if a big mirror is free-standing, walk round behind it, or smash it. ]

...the witch who had devastated her burning ceremony, and changed later. [ that was a great welcome twist on all the old witch-hunting tales and films ]

...when Sorrowman gets his rage up and fights back.

...the 'trapdoor in church with the fallen priest and his hungry flock of ghouls' [ my fave part of the entire film ].

...and most of the action fights are good and savage.

--
And when you accept that this Sorrowman serves a 'god' who actively hounds him, sends a Reaper and a huge demon to claim his soul, then the crucifiction scene is a bit easier to explain...
...I think Sorrowman mutters " God give me strength ? " just before he is obviously granted his request, and tears himself free off the cross.

[ I don't know why I bother to try explain this, because the scene was unnecessary, seemed too silly, and spoiled the flow of the film.
And then the old woman with fantastic healing powers was conveniently there to heal his torn hands quick ! was she an 'angel' sent by his god to help him ??
That's all bollocks to me. Who cares? ]
--
The Witch was killed too easily in the castle. [ with a very long silly tumbling sword throw which seemed impossible! And the stupid cow forgot to duck. LOL.
such very far-fetched stunts like that are what give S&S a bad name.]

I thought the huge molten Demon was fine, and smoulderingly good, but wasted. They should have let it kill/melt/crush several guards/henchmen who get in its way, and it should have smashed down half the castle while chasing Sorrowman, before the end.

And the end was too rushed. The Sorcerer was a wimp, too easy to kill.
[ I hated the convenient pistol shot. And how in Satan's mouth did his gunpowder stay dry after him being soaked in all that rain?? HA. :D ]

/////////////////////// end of spoils ///////////////////

There was too much rain. Very grim and miserable all the way through.
I liked the way they treated the film as a serious drama [mostly], but it needed a little bit of light relief, about 3 quarters of the way along.

>[ here is a joke i would have included in the film...
when Sorrowman is tired and recovering with some friendly Men drinking in a dingy pub, he asks...
" So what is it with all this damned rain?
It never seems to stop. "

An older bearded man winks and says slowly...
" Some say it be 'the Devil's Piss'. "

Then they all burst out laughing with much relief on their faces.

Sorrowman smiles wide as he says...
" Well if this rain be the Devil's Piss, then I hope and pray that He never opens his bowels upon us. "

Then they all laugh even louder, and swig down their ale with some gusto.
----] :D

It is a horror film, but not enough grim horror in it, for me.

> The interview with the Director Michael J. Bassett is very good. He is young and very enthusiastic about Howards work.
I thought his directing [ and about half of his writing ] was good.
He made it clear that his hands were tied: the Producers insisted on an Origins film for SK.

I would like to see Bassett do some proper REH adaptations for film or tv. More Kane and Conan would be nice.

>> STAR AWARD goes to James Purefoy.
He was very good indeed.
I'd like to see him play the 'real' REH-Kane in some films or tv.

> My Ratings :
7 /10 . a quite good very grim S&S horror film. :)
Recommended, grimly entertaining.
But it is NOT Solomon Kane !
----
[ you can shove your false-origins-films up the demon's firey arse !
I want proper adaptations of REH tales, please ? ]

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#1251 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

A new positive review for SK

http://www.salon.com...of_the_howling/

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#1252 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

I have recently acquired a Dutch Blu Ray that is Region A,B,C so it will play on USA Players. I bought it off of Ebay.

It only has the movie,no special features.

I still really enjoy this film. It is not REH but it is a great S&S movie and it sets up for a second that we will probably never get that would have been based on an REH tale. I still think as far as all the REH inspired films we have this one did it the most justice.

The Blu Ray blows the DVD out of the water as far as picture. The detail and colors are vibrant and sharp. Also the sound if you have a surround sound is much better as well.

If you are a fan of the film then get the Blu Ray and if you live in the USA either get a region free player or look for a Dutch/Region Free Blu Ray on Ebay.

Edited by MilkManX, 30 May 2012 - 05:32 PM.

My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1253 Moonlight Shadow

Moonlight Shadow

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

Here's a new negative review: http://www.quieteart...is-Bland-Review

#1254 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:50 AM

The review itself was thoughtful. I thought the responses to the review, mostly from people who had read SK, were also interesting.

There is truth scattered here and there throughout the review and the responses.

Edited by Ironhand, 29 August 2012 - 04:51 AM.

#1255 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

The review itself was thoughtful. I thought the responses to the review, mostly from people who had read SK, were also interesting.

There is truth scattered here and there throughout the review and the responses.

A much better one here !

http://theflickcast....w-solomon-kane/

Terry

PS I see it's actually been re-posted from 2009!

Edited by terryallenuk, 29 August 2012 - 08:39 PM.

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#1256 MilkManX

MilkManX

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ahh Another review that brandishes the film for taking the material "serious" therefore to me this review is garbage.
My art blog and commissions @ Mike Moran Illustration

#1257 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

"If I'm going to watch a movie about an adventurer who forcibly exercises demons using magical powers..."

Images of SK forcing some poor sweating, out-of-shape demon to give him three more pushups...

The Biggest Loser: Exercism.

#1258 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

"If I'm going to watch a movie about an adventurer who forcibly exercises demons using magical powers..."

Images of SK forcing some poor sweating, out-of-shape demon to give him three more pushups...

The Biggest Loser: Exercism.

:lol:

#1259 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

I got a new TV (bigger) and spent another evening rewatching Solomon Kane on Bluray. It's still a great movie, which is brilliantly shot, cut and paced (I love the slower beginning, the scene with Kane and the Puritan at the fireplace is my absolute favourite). The resolve is a bit weak, but after reading the way the production went, listening to so many production interviews, interviews, the commentary track, it's pretty clear that this was bound to a lack of money and time and not the ability or motivation of the director. I have no problem with the crucifixion scene, because I like my cheese from raw milk, I am not lactose intolerant and even heavy handed drama sticks well with me ;). I really, really love the soundtrack. This is one of Klaus Badelt's best works in my opinion.

All in all: The film deserved more credit than it got and without the shadow of a doubt a much bigger release. But in a world where films like John Carter (which I also really liked) and The Golden Compass (besides the really weak ending, which was forced upon the director by production, to end on a high note, instead of the real ending, that was shot, which aligns with the book) are killed just because the "holy American audience" doesn't like them, even though they made their moneys worth abroad... I guess there is not much hope. (just saw the trailer of Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters... go check it out. It's the definition of what's wrong with Hollywood & Fantasy)

Cheers,
Waldgeist
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#1260 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, folks. I really wanted to like this one a whole lot more. I just didn't.

Solomon Kane movie review (contains spoilers)

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog