• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:23 AM

I haven't found a "generic" topic on REH's boxing yarns, so I post this link here:
http://www.reindeerm...3-1_boxing.html

Charles R. Saunders, creator of Imaro and REH fan, has found an old article that he wrote thirty years ago about REH's boxing stories, it's now on his blog.
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

I haven't found a "generic" topic on REH's boxing yarns, so I post this link here: http://www.reindeerm...3-1_boxing.html Charles R. Saunders, creator of Imaro and REH fan, has found an old article that he wrote thirty years ago about REH's boxing stories, it's now on his blog.

Way to get on it, Axe. B) I'd read that (courtesy of Leo Grin on the Cimmerian blog), but hadn't posted anything here. I'm going to post about this on the "Imaro" thread. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

I'm indebted to Axerules. Being a big fan of Howard's boxing stories, I enjoyed the Charles R. Saunder's article a lot. Although, Saunder's emphasized the serious tales (while I am fondest of the humorous stories of Sailor Steve Costigan and Dennis Dorgan) I found the parallels with real-life boxers fascinating.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#4 Axerules

Axerules

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

You're very welcome, CP. :)

There's another article by CR Saunders on REH's boxing yarns free online: http://www.rehtwogun.../Articles5.html
Very funny!

And one by Dennis McHaney here: http://www.rehtwogun.../Articles3.html

Samurai maxim

#5 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

Once again, Axe, many thanks!
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#6 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

Robert E. Howard loved boxing. From all indications, he loved writing about it as well. Howard wrote more Sailor Steve Costigan stories than he ever did about Conan. He wrote more Kid Allison tales than he did about Bran Mak Morn. Up 'til now, we haven't had a thread that dealt with all of his boxing stories. We've got topics on Costigan and Dorgan. We also have threads dedicated to Waterfront Fists (Wildside) and Boxing Stories (Bison Books). This thread is for general discussions about Howard's boxing yarns and the boxers in them, as well as any little "orphan" posts that don't really go in the other threads. I'm sure Mark Finn, Chris Gruber and Paul Herman will stop by at some point. Here's a link to Bill Thom and Paul Herman's "Boxing" category on their Howard Works site:

http://howardworks.c...ject.htm#boxing

Get in the ring, Howard fans. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#7 Axerules

Axerules

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

This thread is for general discussions about Howard's boxing yarns and the boxers in them, as well as any little "orphan" posts that don't really go in the other threads.

You mean, messages like:

I haven't found a "generic" topic on REH's boxing yarns, so I post this link here:
http://www.reindeerm...3-1_boxing.html

Charles R. Saunders, creator of Imaro and REH fan, has found an old article that he wrote thirty years ago about REH's boxing stories, it's now on his blog.

Samurai maxim

#8 Axerules

Axerules

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

Or these links? ;)

There's another article by CR Saunders on REH's boxing yarns free online: http://www.rehtwogun.../Articles5.html
Very funny!

Samurai maxim

#9 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Or these links? Posted Image

Very funny!

Exactly, Axerules. B)

#10 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

What I want to know is what are the prospects for more of the boxing yarns to be republished, either by Del Rey or else by REHF? They are sadly under-recognised. I was looking at an anthology of classic boxing tales the other day; Jack London etc, but no REH. Something needs to be done about this. With the popularity of movies like Million Dollar Baby and The Wrestler, I'm sure now there is a market.
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#11 bleno

bleno

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:38 PM

I have the book "History and Bibliography of Boxing Books" by R. A. Hartley--it's a very comprehensive listing of boxing books, real and fictional, through the years. Of course none of Howard's boxing books are in it, which shows how little attention Howard's yarns of fights have received, which is now hopefully changing. While I didn't expect to see the newer editions of REH's books in this huge book, I did hope to see Grant's "The Iron Man" and Fax's "Dennis Dorgan" but didn't. By my own preference I'm a bigger fan of the history of boxing than the fictional aspect, but I love both and I can tell you Howard's fistic fantasies stand with the best of them.

Brian

#12 El Borak's Li'l Brother

El Borak's Li'l Brother

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

It is obvious Robert E. Howard had much more success in his lifetime with boxing stories as well as his humorous Elkins tales. It is also obvious that he created one character that overshadowed all his creations: Conan. And how could the Cimmerian not. So rich, imaginative, original and just the type of character to catch a young lad's eye with its pulse pounding action and breathtaking women. Not to say most of that is not true about his boxing tales, as that is the topic, but sadly there is no question, in my mind, why they were overshadowed, as well as what publishers at the time were looking for. And there was L. Sprague de Camp. But let's let that pass, hm.

While not a boxing fan myself, a good boxing yarn can be enjoyable. Add to that the lighthearted humor, as I see it, of Howard's Costigan yarns and you have quite a treat. But I must admit I can see why post their time, with the changing attitudes toward the boxing sport, they might not go over so well. Boxing then was a gentleman's sport, popular with a majority of people. Not so much today. And you have the problem of history in the minds of the youth, or at least those I deal with. "Was it before my birth?" they ask. "Then why should I know about it? Why should I care?" Absolutely no interesting in learning... They are missing so much.

Anyway, I think I may have drifted off topic a bit, but hope there is enough on topic to be worthwhile.
Crom!

#13 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

The boxing stories WILL be reprinted in the deluxe, annotated Hoops and Bells and Whistles treatment, but it will be done by the Foundation. The current plans are for FOUR books. Patrice, Grub, and myself are working on the project. So, it's coming. I've waited this long, and I'm really happy to have Howard's entire boxing output in a handsome matched set. Nice, eh?
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#14 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

The boxing stories WILL be reprinted in the deluxe, annotated Hoops and Bells and Whistles treatment, but it will be done by the Foundation. The current plans are for FOUR books. Patrice, Grub, and myself are working on the project. So, it's coming. I've waited this long, and I'm really happy to have Howard's entire boxing output in a handsome matched set. Nice, eh?

;) Mark - That's awesome! I've got all of REH Foundation books and will get these too. Will they be in limited editions 150 each. Thanks for this information because I was just about to start collecting all of these boxing stories and now will get these! I did get The Complete Action Stories and REH had a superb sense of humor!

Your book, Blood & Thunder, The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard is one of my favorites and got me hooked! I've read it numerous times. Thanks! After Blood & Thunder I started getting more books on and about REH. Great job!

I would like to say to all REH Forum folks who have not read Blood & Thunder you've got to go to your local book store and get it as soon as possible. It's the most accurate and informative book about REH I've ever read. There are some other good ones like Two-Gun Bob, The Barbaric Triumph and The Dark Barbarian by Don Herron but Blood & Thunder is the one you've got to get and read first! Thanks for listening. After you read it why not start a new post on it??

Edited by Richard, 31 October 2009 - 12:40 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#15 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:51 AM

Are all the boxning stories collected in print and out of print books ?

I have always enjoyed boxning,its history is much finer than what the top level boxning is today.

So of course reading stories by someone who loved boxning as REH is something i look forward to.

#16 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,024 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

Are all the boxning stories collected in print and out of print books ?

Hey Libaax! Did you even check out my link to Howard Works in the first post? Short answer: Yeah. BUT, a lot of those yarns are in some very hard to find places. My suggestion is to check out this link (OR, check the Howard Works link):

http://www.thecimmerian.com/?cat=58

Scroll down and read every post by Rob Roehm. Rob's an REH collectin' MACHINE. You'll get the low-down on the question. Hope that helps. :)

#17 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

Ah my bad i thought the links was to articles,other threads in these forums.

#18 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:19 AM

Great idea for a topic deuce.

Sorry but my entire question is a spoiler so if you have never read The Iron Man then do not hit the Show button:

Spoiler

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#19 Mikey_C

Mikey_C

Ancient Briton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

Fantastic news! :D
Visit my blog: Necronomania

#20 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

That sounds good about the matched set of Boxning books but whats the avreage price for a single REH foundation book ?

Edited by Libaax, 01 November 2009 - 11:11 PM.