#1 Croms mercy

Croms mercy

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:55 PM

Hi All!
I am new here,and i want to say this Forum is just great!
Here is a Conan drawing i did in Photoshop.Right from imagination,no Refs were used.
I hope you like it!

Posted Image

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

Hey Mercy! I'm likin' that. B) Welcome to the Forum.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 SLAYERx78

SLAYERx78

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

Very nice, very close to how i see conan, please show more.:)
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingaria with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a SLAYER, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

....."let me live deep while I live , know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate , the hot embrace of white arms , the mad exultation of battle when the blue-blades flame and crimson - and I am content. Let teachers priests and philosphers brood on questions of reality and illusion . I know this much ; if life is an illusion , then I am no less an illusion , and being so that illusion is real to ME .I live , I burn with life , I love , I SLAY , and I am content . "

#4 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

Except for the codpiece, that's really good.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#5 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

From the waist up, I'm really loving it, amazing considering you didn't use any references. Waist down, though... let's just say I never had Conan pegged as a KISS fan! :wacko:

Seriously though, it's very well drawn & rendered. Hope to see more work from you in the future!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#6 Crom's bells

Crom's bells

Sinewy thews

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

You did that in Photoshop? Very impressive :) I really like it.

#7 mikoza

mikoza

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

WOW! Excellent work! You draw the face just as it should be! Give us more!!
Welcome to the Forum!

Edited by mikoza, 26 November 2009 - 06:32 PM.

#8 Reaver

Reaver

Barbarian Gamer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

I think it looks awesome. And the spiked codpiece really makes sense. A pit fighter's weakest spot is the junk. But you'd probably think twice before punching/kicking/grabbing that! :lol:

#9 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

I like it, good work.
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#10 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:01 AM

Welcome to the forum, Cm! :)

Except for the codpiece, that's really good.

Ditto!
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#11 BloodNGore

BloodNGore

VEHEMENT VAGABOND

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:13 AM

That's amazing, really good depiction of his face
I am no longer sane,
far too much horror burns away the brain.

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:41 AM

I'm flabbergasted at the amazing technical quality of your work. If you used photoshop (about which I know nothing) what did you use to start out with. Did you start with a blank screen? AFAIC, you're ready to do magazine covers. Man, you could draw your own avatar!

I don't like the pitfighter/arena concept, but that's just my personal preference.

Edited by Ironhand, 27 November 2009 - 03:42 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#13 Seamvs

Seamvs

Crom's Right Hand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:39 AM

I don't like the pitfighter/arena concept, but that's just my personal preference.

Of course, it reminds you of the Milius film. Which wounded you so deeply you wake up in a sweat every night dreaming about the lamentations of their women. ;) :D
Mitra! The ways of the Aesir were more to my liking.

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

Of course, it reminds you of the Milius film. Which wounded you so deeply you wake up in a sweat every night dreaming about the lamentations of their women. ;) :D

The lamentations of their women are as nothing compared to the lamentations of this Conan fan. :(
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#15 Croms mercy

Croms mercy

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

Hi!
Thanks to everyone for welcoming and comments!
I will try to answer everything but my english is not so good so i am sorry for mistakes.

deuce: thank you!

SLAYERx78: thanks! yes ,for me it is very close too,but i am still not there!I will show some more stuff soon.

Almuric: thank you! yes yes ,this codpiece.You know,i liked the idea Conan has protected his jewels in close combat pit fight,on the one side
it looks dangerous,brutal and agressive by the spikes,but another way it looks weird.I think it looks just strange isf a man wears a codpiece.
Maybe i must rethink the design.

Taranaich:thanks!yes,i did not use any Refs.Since Mr.Frazetta is my Idol i try to go wit his philosophy!
I never was a KISS fan!!!And painting this i did not think about KISS at all!Ha Ha!But this is funny! :lol:

Crom's bells :Thank You very much!Yes i did it in Photoshop CS2.Actually this is my first Conan in PS.Usually i work with corel Painter 9.

mikoza: Thank You a lot!I really appreciate it!

Reaver:Thank You!This is exactly what i was thinking!!!

Seamvs:Than You too,i try.

Axerules:Thanks for the welcoming!

BloodNGore:Thanks!Yes the face is very important to me,the expression and so on, but i am still searching.

Ironhand: Thanks man!I did this whole in Photoshop,but to start out with something i have used an old pencil sketch from my sketchbook which i scanned and than repainted it in Photoshop.
Uh,about the Magazine covers i am not so sure but i think i could draw my own avatar!
That you dont like the pitfighter/arena concept You are right to do so but for me this is a very exciting subject-matter.

#16 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

very nicely done, CM, anything for the ReH Conan purists and Crombots?
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#17 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

feel the Power

• Members
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

Hi All!
I am new here,and i want to say this Forum is just great!
Here is a Conan drawing i did in Photoshop.Right from imagination,no Refs were used.
I hope you like it!

Hi
Welcome to the forums. :)

I love the head and shoulders and grim tough face !
excellent art. B)

[ but i am not interested in milius pitfighter stuff ]

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#18 black dragon

black dragon

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:46 AM

Very impressive. Keep up the good work!

#19 miniken

miniken

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

Very nice! Doesn't look like "computer art". Which is a good thing. I'd like to see more of your work. Keep on drawing.

#20 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Spiked cocpieces were readily available at the many "Zenobia's Secret" shops located in major cities throughout the Hyborian world.