#1 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:43 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Black and White Wednesday: Worms of the Earth Part 1 by Thomas, Smith, and Conrad

B) B)

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#2 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

I have enjoyed many different artists and adaptations in the comics over the past 30 years, but this is far and away my favorite. It deserves it's own special edition reprint.

And then talk Conrad into doing an adaptation of KEW and Smith/Tierney pastiches as a second volume that could also contain the old DH "Kings of the Night".

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

I have enjoyed many different artists and adaptations in the comics over the past 30 years, but this is far and away my favorite. It deserves it's own special edition reprint.

It already was reprinted in 2000 (in full color) by Wandering Star. Used copied are still available. Its friggin' awesome and gets my highest recommendation.

http://www.amazon.co...59927019&sr=1-2

And then talk Conrad into doing an adaptation of KEW and Smith/Tierney pastiches as a second volume that could also contain the old DH "Kings of the Night".

Cool idea.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 Primeval

Primeval

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

It already was reprinted in 2000 (in full color) by Wandering Star. Used copied are still available. Its friggin' awesome and gets my highest recommendation.

I forgot about that, but I'd also prefer a black and white reprint. I'll still have to seek that color one out now that I have been reminded of it - thanks!

"Roll on me like a flood, now, if ye dare! Before your viper fangs drink my life I will reap your multitudes like ripened barley - of your severed heads will I build a tower and of your mangled corpses will I rear up a wall!" - Bran Mak Morn in "Worms of the Earth"

#5 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:25 PM

Just an excellent work. Great art, extremely detailed. I wouldn't want a color version, the black and white captures the mood of the tale IMO.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#6 nate furman

nate furman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

The subtleness of the tones in this story are what always shocked me :) I can only imagine how nice this looks in person before reproduction. Love the detail and the panel layout for this as well. Lot of love in this work.

#7 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

Part 2 is up:

Part 2!

#8 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:50 PM

Part 2 is up:

Part 2!

Thanks, Strom! B) Groove is the Man. Can you dig it?

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#9 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,502 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

Part 2 is up:

Part 2!

Thanks, Strom! B) Groove is the Man. Can you dig it?

Dig! Groovy is cool. :) B)

#10 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

Cool idea.

Tim suffered a pretty bad motorcycle accident about 15 years ago.While he recovered relativly well he has since given up comics.Wereabouts unknown.

#11 nate furman

nate furman

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:36 PM

Sad to hear, I wondered why he stopped producing stuff. Perhaps he injured his drawing hand.

#12 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

He had suffered bad trauma to the head and various broken bones.By the time I saw him he was pretty much healed.A bit of sluring and memory loss remained.He got hit by some old lady on a warm january day.Allways a bit lazy and slow when it came to drawing.I suspect hes living the good life with the insurance settlement.

#13 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:41 AM

Own the original to this page:
Posted Image

When I was sixteen years old, the original magazine story was printed and I wrote a letter to an art dealer selling originals to this story in the pages of the Comics Buyer's Guide.
The letter concerned asking the dealer if he could describe what medium the artist used to get those grey tones with a touch of sepia in them. I wanted to become an artist who might someday be able to draw for Savage Sword.
To my surprise the dealer passed my letter to Mr. Conrad who graciously answered and mailed me back all the technical info I needed.

Mr.Conrad also urged me to practice and even included a warning not to take on the comics profession unless one loved it. Now this was the late 70's so no one was making much money in comic, not like today's stars.

In the late 90's when I held a brief stint as art director for the late Cross Plains Comics, I helped acquire the stats for these pages from the Marvel warehouses and picked the colorist for the book.
I also assisted Wandering Star when they took over reprinting this book in color when CPC went under and I was long gone.
Just had to finish this project thru.

Several years later I was able to afford picking up the original.

It would be great to see the whole book reprinted in a large format. Brings back some fond memories.

This story continues to inspire me. The upcoming issue of Alter Ego magazine will contain a color cover depicting the moment prior to this page that I drew and painted digitally.

Edited by RafaelKayanan, 21 December 2009 - 03:47 AM.

#14 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Hey Raf since you were art director of CPC what ever happened to the marchers of valhalla adaption.I think it was started by Redondo and completed by Garcia.I would not mind seeing DH publish it.

Edited by brakkk60526, 21 December 2009 - 06:18 PM.

#15 Roquefort Raider

Roquefort Raider

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

In the late 90's when I held a brief stint as art director for the late Cross Plains Comics, I helped acquire the stats for these pages from the Marvel warehouses and picked the colorist for the book.
I also assisted Wandering Star when they took over reprinting this book in color when CPC went under and I was long gone.
Just had to finish this project thru.

Thanks for the background info, Rafael! It's always great when a pro lets us know how things are done in the background. I'm glad some of the original pages are in good hands!

I look forward to the upcoming Alter Ego issue.

#16 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

Hey Raf since you were art director of CPC what ever happened to the marchers of valhalla adaption.I think it was started by Redondo and completed by Garcia.I would not mind seeing DH publish it.

I was long gone by the time the Marchers of Valhalla adaptation was finished. It was fully colored digitally by former BWS colorist Eric Hope.

Didn't see all of Garcia's work on it but stylistically they were different in terms of anatomical construction even though they both had that classical Filipino ink work.

I believe the publisher never took it to get printed. It would have come after Worms so unless someone took up the torch it probably sits in some old zip or jaz disks that are no longer compatible with most systems.

#17 brakkk60526

brakkk60526

Adventurer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

I was long gone by the time the Marchers of Valhalla adaptation was finished. It was fully colored digitally by former BWS colorist Eric Hope.

Didn't see all of Garcia's work on it but stylistically they were different in terms of anatomical construction even though they both had that classical Filipino ink work.

I believe the publisher never took it to get printed. It would have come after Worms so unless someone took up the torch it probably sits in some old zip or jaz disks that are no longer compatible with most systems.

Its to bad
I saw some of the Redondo art and it was real nice.Brom also did the cover.

#18 timeless

timeless

timeless

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

Seriously, how damn cool is it to have Kayanan on these boards?

;) :P

Like Jusko.

Mead horn deeply tilted in your direction, sir. Enlighten us as much as possible, we will certaiinly benefit and appreciate your experiences and processes.

Edited by timeless, 09 January 2010 - 06:10 AM.

All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream. - Edgar Allen Poe

It's the olden lure, it's the golden lure, it's the lure of the timeless things. - Robert Service

For the myth is the foundation of life; it is the timeless schema, the pious formula into which life flows when it reproduces its traits out of the unconscious. - Thomas Mann

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. - Norman Maclean

#19 RafaelKayanan

RafaelKayanan

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:51 PM

Its to bad
I saw some of the Redondo art and it was real nice.Brom also did the cover.

I contacted Brom to see if he was interested and scanned the transparency he sent for that cover.

The thing with Howard is that it doesn't take much to get caliber talent like Brom to lend a hand.
--

Thanks timeless! I don't get to come by as often as I'd like but I can't stay away from all things REH for too long. :)

Edited by RafaelKayanan, 17 January 2010 - 11:51 PM.

#20 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

NICE!!!

now I know what I'll be pouring out some appleton to, and a nice fat bolivar. gotta pull this one out of the plastic.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."